AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding upfiring atmos speakers on top of my front towers. I got a free set of Omage Forte bookshelf speakers (i know they are cheap). They are 50 watts and have a tweeter and a 4 inch driver. I am using a yamaha rxv685 receiver. Will these just end up blowing if i hook them up? They are 6 ohm speakers. Only thinking of doing atmos cause i have these, don't want to spend money or better speakers. If these won't work i will just stay with my 5.1 st up till my next upgrade

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Should be just fine. Your Yamaha is rated with only two channels driven so if you have all 7 channels going I doubt you would be putting 50 watts into it. Atmos doesn't have high content like a center channel and is for enhancing the sound envelope.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you. That is what i was wondering does atmos have high content or are they like my surrounds. Guess i will put them on top of my s60's and see how they sound. They actually match well in terms of color of cabinet and color or 4 inch driver and color of the drivers in the s60

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i don't have a 4k tv or 4k chromecast. I use a regular 1080p chromecast (what i use to stream netflix and prime video) as my tv is only 1080p. My cable box is also not 4K. Will i still be able to get atmos sound without the 4k? From my research i can't but want to confirm

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Thinking of adding upfiring atmos speakers on top of my front towers. I got a free set of Omage Forte bookshelf speakers (i know they are cheap). They are 50 watts and have a tweeter and a 4 inch driver. I am using a yamaha rxv685 receiver. Will these just end up blowing if i hook them up? They are 6 ohm speakers. Only thinking of doing atmos cause i have these, don't want to spend money or better speakers. If these won't work i will just stay with my 5.1 st up till my next upgrade
Seem to be good for the price. Just don't expect miracles in terms of Atmos effect from ceiling reflection speakers.
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/37107/omage_forte_series_50_watt_6_ohms_with_4_woofer_and_1_tweeter_bookshelf_speakers_pair?categoryId=0&sku=QFS4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seem to be good for the price. Just don't expect miracles in terms of Atmos effect from ceiling reflection speakers.
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/37107/omage_forte_series_50_watt_6_ohms_with_4_woofer_and_1_tweeter_bookshelf_speakers_pair?categoryId=0&sku=QFS4
They seem decent. Got 3 pairs for free when i bought my set up a couple weeks ago. Just thinking i could use them and they might improve my home theatre set up. But now reading atmos comes with 4K so not sure i can use them

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
They seem decent. Got 3 pairs for free when i bought my set up a couple weeks ago. Just thinking i could use them and they might improve my home theatre set up. But now reading atmos comes with 4K so not sure i can use them
There is a bit of non 4K atmos. Most recent BR that I've bough have Atmos on the HD (1080) disc. Disney streams Atmos with their newer HD stuff. Also Atmos capable AVRs can up mix non Atmos/DTS-X into simulated overhead effects channels. It's just even less useful with ceiling bounce speakers. For me it just gives a little more "spaciousness" to the front sound stage so I use one of the simulated modes all the time. Currently using DTS Neural X THX Cinema mode which seems to work well. AVR in an Onkyo 820.

Netflix, Amazon, Vudu etc... seem to hold Atmos for 4K. The main reason I'm likely to upgrade to a new TV this year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thank you. So no Atmos for me. I don't currently have a blu ray player and i don't have 4K tv. Once i upgrade my tv i will get a 4k blu ray player. If i watch netflix or prime video how do i know if they have atmos for 1080p?

·
Registered
28,467 Posts
they don't have Atmos for 1080p, they limit it to 4K streams. You also have to upgrade your Netflix account to 4K. it's probably an extra $3 or $4 per month. You won't have to add anything for Prime.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I think the Omage speakers would be OK Atmos speakers, but mounted at the top of the wall or from the ceiling.
My journey went the opposite of yours - my 46" Insignia TV in the living room died, so the 55" one from the basement made it upstairs. I needed a new TV for the basement, and ended up getting a 65" Samsung Q7.
I then "needed" a 4k-capable AVR, cable box, BR player, an extra pair of Atmos bookshelfs, and streamer. I ended up with the IP cable box from my provider, the Anthem AVR and Monoprice amp, the ATV4K, and the XBox1S for BR/games/streaming.

Oh, the Paradigms came before the TV...lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^sometimes a blown tv is a good thing, upgrading is good. Well I guess I won't be getting atmos till I upgrade. It sounds great now just trying to see what atmos sounded like.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you think about it, that $1000 blown TV cost me ~$15000 to replace... lol
To me, Atmos was a significant upgrade. But with it being limited (pretty much) to 4K/UHD you won't, right now, be able to take advantage of it unless you upgrade your...everything... lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol true, I hear ya. Guess upgrades can cost some money. I'll wait lol

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Will these just end up blowing
- Be sure the crossover for that channel is set high, like 200 Hz if possible.
- If it sounds bad TURN DOWN THE VOLUME and all will be fine regardless of any specs, which for speakers are mostly useless (I say that as a loudspeaker engineer :()

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Should be just fine. Your Yamaha is rated with only two channels driven so if you have all 7 channels going I doubt you would be putting 50 watts into it.
Good grief I'm sick of this utter gumf being repeated. The all channels tests done on AVRs is with an in phase, same amplitude signal on all channels at once. That never happens with actual program content which varies massively channel to channel at any given instance.

That said OP, if you follow the simple rule of listening and when you hear the speaker start to sound bad, turn it down and you'll be fine.

Reactions: sigpig
1 - 15 of 15 Posts