AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fry's is advertising a 120 WD Ultra DMA /100 drive for $129.

It's 5,400 RPM and 2 MB buffer. Would this be a good upgrade and is there something else I should look for on the box like JBB or some other code that would indicate compatibility with UTV?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the 5400 rpm model is the 1200AB. I have seen problems with the JB. Most people (myself included) have been able to use the BB. Even when recording two video streams while playing back a third, a 5400 rpm drive should be more than fast enough based on the following assumptions:

Most people get about 25 hours on their 45 GB drives. This means that (on average), UTV uses about 1.8GB/hour or 500kb/sec for a video stream. For 2 records and 1 playback, you should need >1.5MB/sec. This shouldn't be a problem for ANY current HD.

So, the short answer is - it depends on whether the AB model has the same problem as the JB model (password stuff).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Outpost.com (owned by Fry's) has this drive (WB1200AB) for $109. It will display as $119, but when you put it in your cart, it will show up as $109. Ordered mine a couple of hours ago :)

Good Luck,

SteveK

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by raldrich
I think the 5400 rpm model is the 1200AB. I have seen problems with the JB. Most people (myself included) have been able to use the BB. Even when recording two video streams while playing back a third, a 5400 rpm drive should be more than fast enough based on the following assumptions:

Most people get about 25 hours on their 45 GB drives. This means that (on average), UTV uses about 1.8GB/hour or 500kb/sec for a video stream. For 2 records and 1 playback, you should need >1.5MB/sec. This shouldn't be a problem for ANY current HD.

So, the short answer is - it depends on whether the AB model has the same problem as the JB model (password stuff).
I'm sorry but I'm still confused. What should I look for on the box or on the drive? An AB designation? A BB designation? Where would I normally see that? What do those intials mean? And if it says JB, I should not buy it?

Sorry for being so dense.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here's the translation:

1200AB = 120GB 5400 RPM 2MB cache (works in UTV for upgrades)

1200BB = 120GB 7200 RPM 2MB cache (works in UTV for upgrades)

1200JB = 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache (has been reported to not work in many cases)

Since the original 40/45GB drives in UTVs are 5400 RPM, that speed is sufficient. There is no need to upgrade to a 7200 RPM.

HTH,

Good Luck,

SteveK

P.S. I ordered the 1200AB. Its supposedly a little quieter and runs a bit cooler than the 7200 (1200BB) version. No sense in buying capability that's not going to give you any benefit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are 2 JB drives, one that was an OEM from Dell, which doesn't work, but the 'normal' one has been shown to work. I wonder if the BB or the JB suffer less of the 'runaway fast-forward' then the AB's?

Keith

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Keith -

Runaway ff ?? Do you mean this thread: Runaway FF ?

I've read thru it and didn't see any references to a larger hdd causing runaway ff. Is there something (or another thread) that I am missing?

TIA,

SteveK

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about that thread, what I was hoping, and maybe I should address it there, is if the new drives had any effect on it. I haven't upgraded mine yet (I have the BB), since I am waiting for my warranty to expire in one month (don't know if I can hold out).

Keith

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am running a WD 120 GB BB drive and I have no problems with runaway FF.

Tim

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have both a factory drive and a 120 BB drive (two UTVs) and I have experienced the runaway FF in both of them. It isn't a HUGE deal to me because I almost always use the quickskip and instant replay for commercials, but I would like to see the problem resolved. I had the problem before 3.5 (although very rarely). I think it probably had to do with the programming tweaks they did to increase user interface speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.