1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 1/4 - Buy trs chords and cut them in half then twist the wires together

For rca: Use these:
http://store.triodestore.com/minirca.html

and then solder a small resistor across the opening (small wire version - Radio shack type things)

Please keep answers simple and not too technical I am trying to figure this out.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
For 1/4 - Buy trs chords and cut them in half then twist the wires together

Why not just buy the plug and solder tip to sleeve?

Quote:
For rca: Use these:
http://store.triodestore.com/minirca.html

and then solder a small resistor across the opening (small wire version - Radio shack type things)

Why would you need a resistor if you're making a shorting plug?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/18302229

Why not just buy the plug and solder tip to sleeve?

Because I can't seem to understand that for some reason, can't get my head around it

Why would you need a resistor if you're making a shorting plug?

I have read several sites that say you need one

Only answers I have...

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
for the 1/4" solder a wire from the tip to the sleeve.

same for RCA...what value of resistor is being recommended?

Why do you need these anyway?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
I usually make my own shorting plugs from an RCA plug with any 10-100 ohm resistor. This presents an input load that will not allow any noise to enter. I would recommend this over a cap. What could the cap possibly do?

Do they really want us to believe that the RFI/EMI "only" enters through the small hole provided in the female RCA connector and that it somehow won't get to the "open" high impedance input of inputs left open through any other route? Kinda silly.... Do they feel that it won't be picked up by the wire that runs from the RCA connector to the input element because they capped the plug with some shiny metal? Mmmmm..

Don't know if this make it make sense...

My subs amps are picking up a white noise I want to try to get rid of

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Shorting plugs are a waste of time and money. They serve no useful purpose and are just another useless audiophile tweek.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Unused inputs have a very high OFF resistance so there is no chance of "white noise" being audible. If a shorting link is used to that effect then the ACCURATE description of the problem has not been made.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/18302398

Unused inputs have a very high OFF resistance so there is no chance of "white noise" being audible. If a shorting link is used to that effect then the ACCURATE description of the problem has not been made.

SO the white noise is fatal? ha I tried a lot of things.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/18302439

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish here.

My sub has a white noise that comes from it. Trying to get rid of it and already tried cheater plugs

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That would not be caused by input not shorted. It has a resistor to ground inside anyway. If you hear "hiss" or anything above the crossover point ( 80 Hz?) then the amp is generating it. You did not mention what sub this is.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/18303861

That would not be caused by input not shorted. It has a resistor to ground inside anyway. If you hear "hiss" or anything above the crossover point ( 80 Hz?) then the amp is generating it. You did not mention what sub this is.

I have switched out the amps back and forth from an ep2500 to an ep4000 (same basically but different years/units). The white noise is volume based ie. when the overall signal (including processing) level increases the white noise goes up with it. A source must be on with the receiver not on mute but it does not matter if nothing is coming from the source (like a paused dvd or cable channel that I don't have) as long as it is not on mute the white noise continues.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18304509

I have switched out the amps back and forth from an ep2500 to an ep4000 (same basically but different years/units). The white noise is volume based ie. when the overall signal (including processing) level increases the white noise goes up with it. A source must be on with the receiver not on mute but it does not matter if nothing is coming from the source (like a paused dvd or cable channel that I don't have) as long as it is not on mute the white noise continues.

This is a description of "white noise":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

Does this sound like what you are hearing? Sounds to me like you have a defective receiver if changing sub amps has no effect. You should be hearing this in all your speakers, I would think, not just the sub.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18304642

This is a description of "white noise":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise

Does this sound like what you are hearing? Sounds to me like you have a defective receiver if changing sub amps has no effect. You should be hearing this in all your speakers, I would think, not just the sub.

I've had a white noise generator before and it sounds like that, the other speakers are dead silent and they are 98db sensitive, the sub is only 86

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My amp has 2 x 1/4 inputs and 2 x xlr inputs. I am using one of the xlr inputs, the other 3 inputs are open.

I just did another experiment.

The gain controls on the reckhorn b-1 and samson s-converter both effect the noise so does the inclusion of the as-eq1 -BUT- turning the receiver master volume up does not.

Also if I take out any one or two of those components it any combo it still reacts the same way.

Any ideas? I already have switched out every wire and outlet and have a jensen transformer on the coax cable for a ground hum.

I am left thinking only the sub can be the problem because everything else has been switched in and out. It almost does not make sense

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
My amp has 2 x 1/4 inputs and 2 x xlr inputs. I am using one of the xlr inputs, the other 3 inputs are open.

Why do you need RCA shoring plugs then?

Is this a 2 channel amp with two different connectors in parallel?

Is your source balanced?

If you disconnect the receiver does the noise go away?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just engaged the "high frequency cut" aka lpf on my reckhorn b1 and the noise went from disturbing and ruining the sound to barely noticeable. Unfortunately the sub is near field right now (basically a foot from my gf's head when she reclines and 3 from mine. If i move it further away the sound might not be a problem.

As far as the receiver, yes it goes away without it BUT it also goes away when it is in mute so it is not the electrical connection itself that is the problem IMO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts