AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some old speakers rated at 3 watts, 4 ohms and the amp seems to be broken, but I have a working amp rated for 6 ohms and 2.5 watts. Can I safely use this for short periods of time at low volumes?

*edit* tried and works.

The amp I suspect is broken will power on when using an ac converter/transformer, but when ever I connect the stereo jack to the pc, it gives off a buzzing sound. I don't have the original power supply, and have to use one rated for 12v dc at .5 amps instead of 1 amp, if that matters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19617834

The additional information that you later edited into the original post changes things.

From highest priority to lowest, I needed to know if the speaker drivers worked, if the amp inside was broken, and then if the amount of power supplied affects the amp's ability to drive the speakers in any other way than volume i.e buzzing.

It's a complicated situation and I've posted this question on several sites without a definitive answer, so I've been trying to word it in ways that people are more likely to respond, then asking the additional questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts