AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi I bought an Onkyo HT-S7100 home theater system over Christmas and have recently discovered after reading other topics here in the forums on this system that the HD on this system will not work for my needs.  So I was wondering if some one could suggest a good receiver for $300 Canadian or less, refurbished is fine with me that I could use with the speakers I now own from the Onkyo HT-S7100.  All I really need is a 5.1, 500w, hd receiver that will work with a Ps3, if it works with a pc that would be a bonus?  I live in a tiny apartment so I don't need a powerful receiver just one that would work good with the speakers I currently own preferably.  I was thinking Yamaha but really I know very little about this stuff so I am open to any suggestions and advice people may have.

I bought the Onkyo HT-S7100 used for $300 as I thought at the time it was a good deal but recently found out the receiver is not suitable for my needs sadly so I need to find a replacement for it and don't have a lot of money to spend. 

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

From what I have read my current receiver which only supports resolutions as high as 1080i needs a firmware update to be compatible with modern Ps3's, which Onkyo does not offer for this receiver.  My understanding from reading other posts on this forum leads me to agree with them that the firmware for this receiver Onkyo HT-S7100  is to old.  I tend to believe them as I have had a great deal of trouble getting the reciever to work with my tv while the Ps3 is plugged into the receiver.  Best resolution I managed to get using my receiver with my tv and the Ps3 hooked up to it is 480p which looks horribl,e as my tv only supports 720p and 1080p resolutions.  This receiver is all so at least 6 - 8 years old, I failed to do my home work correctly before buying the system as I had hoped I was buying some thing more modern.

·
Registered
28,899 Posts
I've never heard of a TV that only supports 720p and 1080p. It should also accept 1080i.

If your TV supports 720p why don't you set the PS3 to output that resolution?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Your settings are wrong. I Play ps3 and Xbox 360 on my 6 yr old Panasonic plasma (768p) and they look pretty darn good!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidiii  /t/1521964/will-this-work#post_24466628

From what I have read my current receiver which only supports resolutions as high as 1080i needs a firmware update to be compatible with modern Ps3's, which Onkyo does not offer for this receiver.  My understanding from reading other posts on this forum leads me to agree with them that the firmware for this receiver Onkyo HT-S7100  is to old.  I tend to believe them as I have had a great deal of trouble getting the reciever to work with my tv while the Ps3 is plugged into the receiver.  Best resolution I managed to get using my receiver with my tv and the Ps3 hooked up to it is 480p which looks horribl,e as my tv only supports 720p and 1080p resolutions.  This receiver is all so at least 6 - 8 years old, I failed to do my home work correctly before buying the system as I had hoped I was buying some thing more modern.

Hi Druidiii, if you haven't yet, on the PS3 try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI) " found under Display Settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts