AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...signal to Sony DVD recorder or is it strictly composite out to DVD recorders? Need to know before I move the setup and crawl back behind the beast and start rearranging wires. Help!!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
That's no problem at all. I send S-Video from my HR10-250 to both a Panasonic and Pioneer recorder all the time. Just make sure (and I'm sure you already know this) to set the TiVo to output 480i, or you'll get nothin' ...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Concur. No problem at all. Now if I could just find the necessary options and/or recorder to properly record 4:3 and have it play back correctly on a 4:3 set. And preferably to both DVD+R and DVD+RW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
Concur. No problem at all. Now if I could just find the necessary options and/or recorder to properly record 4:3 and have it play back correctly on a 4:3 set. And preferably to both DVD+R and DVD+RW.
On the 10-250 HD Tivo unit, go to Settings/Video and set 'Aspect Correction' to Letterbox and 'Aspect ratio' to 4x3. The resulting recording on the DVD Recorder will be letterboxed 16x9 material that can be directly dubbed to DVD-R, RW etc., for viewing on 4x3 TV.

Had trouble with this at first, but now works fine on new Panasonic EH50.

Thanks to Mr. Video for excellent discussion on this topic on another thread.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I think he wants to record *4:3* material and have it displayed full-screen (ie: filling the screen) on a 4:3 set. An example of this would be recording something like, say, Comedy Central -- there's no way (that I have found) to dub that from the HD TiVo to any other format without getting the pillar boxes. This would seem to be because the HD TiVo is always sending out a 16:9 "frame", no matter what.

Edit: I am wrong about this --see below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor
I think he wants to record *4:3* material and have it displayed full-screen (ie: filling the screen) on a 4:3 set. An example of this would be recording something like, say, Comedy Central -- there's no way (that I have found) to dub that from the HD TiVo to any other format without getting the pillar boxes. This would seem to be because the HD TiVo is always sending out a 16:9 "frame", no matter what.
Even if you select "Aspect ratio" as 4x3 in Settings/Video? Not at home, so can't try this. But I'm pretty sure that would work.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Oops, sorry. I was wrong about that. It DOES work if the channel that you recorded was a regular, 4:3 channel. On the other hand, a 4:3 recording from an HD channel doesn't, because THAT really is a 16:9 frame with pillars to fill out the unused portion.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou7
On the 10-250 HD Tivo unit, go to Settings/Video and set 'Aspect Correction' to Letterbox and 'Aspect ratio' to 4x3. The resulting recording on the DVD Recorder will be letterboxed 16x9 material that can be directly dubbed to DVD-R, RW etc., for viewing on 4x3 TV.

Had trouble with this at first, but now works fine on new Panasonic EH50.

Thanks to Mr. Video for excellent discussion on this topic on another thread.
Thanks for the valuable information Bayou7. So, am I to understand then that if go to the HR 10-250 and Settings/Video and set 'Aspect Correction' to Letterbox and 'Aspect ratio' to 4x3, that I will be able to:

-- view 16:9 recorded HD in 16:9 on my HD plasma

-- view 4:3 recorded SD as full frame undistorted SD on my 4:3 television

-- view 16:9 recorded HD in the proper letterboxed aspect ratio (bars at top and bottom) on my 4:3 television

and that this capability is irrelevant of the DVD recorder used? Or at least possible with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S?

That would be great.

As the owner's manual of the Panasonic DMR-EH50S states that 16:9 aspect programs are recorded in 4:3 aspect and given you statement that you had trouble with this at first with this DVD recorder, could you explain what a user needs to do to be able to record in correct aspect ratio with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S despite the limitations noted in the manual? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
Thanks for the valuable information Bayou7. So, am I to understand then that if go to the HR 10-250 and Settings/Video and set 'Aspect Correction' to Letterbox and 'Aspect ratio' to 4x3, that I will be able to:

-- view 16:9 recorded HD in 16:9 on my HD plasma

-- view 4:3 recorded SD as full frame undistorted SD on my 4:3 television

-- view 16:9 recorded HD in the proper letterboxed aspect ratio (bars at top and bottom) on my 4:3 television

and that this capability is irrelevant of the DVD recorder used? Or at least possible with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S?

That would be great.

As the owner's manual of the Panasonic DMR-EH50S states that 16:9 aspect programs are recorded in 4:3 aspect and given you statement that you had trouble with this at first with this DVD recorder, could you explain what a user needs to do to be able to record in correct aspect ratio with the Panasonic DMR-EH50S despite the limitations noted in the manual? Thanks!
Those settings will only permit useful viewing on 4x3 TV's. To produce a recording for viewing on your 16x9 display, you'll need to re-record with an Aspect ratio of 16x9 and Aspect Correction at "Full' on the Tivo unit. Saving programs from your Tivo unit requires that you do it once for 4x3 TV's and once for 16x9 displays, unless you want to import 16x9 file into your computer and edit.( See detailed discussionn of this on another thread)

The reason I had trouble with this initially resulted from trying to solve the problem by fiddling with the Panasonic Recorder. Based on my understanding of discussions in other threads, the Panasonic EH50 ( or other Recorders) should be be able to distiinguish between 16x9 and 4x3 material by flags embedded within the file. However, it would seem that such flags are absent in the TIVO files----seems to be a common problem for most of the HD source boxes--- so you either have to record twice( for both 4x3 and 16x9 TV's) or you edit the file and burn a DVD with the right flags.

Absent the flags, you solve the problem by sending the right source material to the recorder. The fact that the Panasonic unit records 16x9 material in 4x3 format is not unique. They virtually all do that if the material is coming through the S-Video ( composite) inputs. It's the properties of the incoming programming that's important. If the recording is for viewing on 16x9 displays, the recording will be 4x3 anamorphic, which looks fine on 16x9 displays. If the recording is for 4x3 Telvision, then the incoming material should be letterboxed 16x9 OR just standard 4x3 format. The TIVO settings provided above will be correct for the last two options. This is independent of the recorder.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Thanks Bayou. That explanation is brilliant. Given the number of times this question has been asked but never fully answered to my knowledge, perhaps this info should be a "sticky" on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.