AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have previously read on these forums that you can get away with using the red, yellow, white inputs on a cheap A/V switch box for componet connections? So I just went out an bought the Pelican video game switch box for $20 , my RCA 61" HDTV has only 1 componet in, and am trying out my DVD player through it right now, it looks the same. Will this cause any problems to my tv, since they are actually RCA audio inputs that I'm using as componet? Please answer if you can. Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
JGard,

Since both audio and video are designed for 75 ohm, don't worry about hurting your equipment. If you're happy with the results, go with it.

Just remember that this piece of hardware could be suspect anytime you begin to deal with picture quality issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Audio typically is not designed for 75 ohms. It may happen to be. Also, the switching bandwitdh will be less. If you have to use this set up run the Y thru the yellow video connection.

Byas

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after further evaluation, it does have a noticeable drop in picture quailty. I threw in some different dvd's, and you can tell a pretty big difference when I run my dvd player direct through Monster cables opposed to going through the switchbox to the HDTV. The color is the big difference, it looks pale going through the switchbox. Anyone have any links for a real componet video switcher? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Heres a link to one by Key Digital.
http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...neek=901722576

I think it's "on sale" for 299.00. It used to be 399.00 I believe. But just out of curiosity, tell me more about this Pelican one you tried. Whats the model number? Because I've never heard of that one. Many people have used a simple Radio Shack pushbutton switch though (including myself) and didnt see any degradation.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JGard
Well after further evaluation, it does have a noticeable drop in picture quailty. Anyone have any links for a real componet video switcher? Thanks.
Inline IN3582. Not cheap, but it works perfectly. Absolutely

zero drop in picture quality.

However its connectors are BNC, so you'll need cables that

are RCA-to-BNC into the two box input sets, and BNC-to-RCA

for the one output to your HDTV.

I bought three sets of Audioquest YI2Q cables for the job, custom

ordered to have the proper RCA and BNC connectors at each end

of the proper triplet, as required. And I also could have the

cable lengths delivered exactly as I required.

Others have suggested simply buying nine RCA-to-BNC adapters

at Radio Shack, but I can't personally confirm that they will fit

the space available on this box.

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3582.htm

·
Registered
551 Posts
Keep a look out on E Bay. I purschased an Extron SW4 auto switcher brand new for $300. I had to buy BNC adopters. Warren Electronic.com has a whole line of BNC adopters. You have to tee the green to go to green and to sync to auto switch. I t works great.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I second the Ebay option. I bought a used Extron SW4 AR for well under $100. These things are meant to be used in a lab for years without failure.

Also watch out for Altinex switches on Ebay great products; you can use the 1910SX to break out your PC into two quality outputs, one back to the PC and one to run through a Audio Authority Model 9A60 or RCA VHDC300 VGA to Component Video Converter.

If you have a DTC-100 you can also use another VGA to Component Converter.

Mitsubishi recommends using component inputs over RGBHV if you have a choice.

Remember this stuff is available used for a good prices as folks move between configurations in search of HD Nirvana.

Yes I tried the manual switch and it worked okay except for the switch contacts getting dirty (annoying since you have to click it a couple times to get a good connection.)

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
How about using a bank of three A/V switches and just using the video connection? Emerson makes one that is remote controlled (so you could change all three with one button) that you can get on shopping.yahoo.com for $20-25. I don't know about that one thought because it says that it has a 10dB amp and that might effect PQ. I think I'm going to get three recoton DVD1000's for $25/each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.