1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Are Excellent Movies

·
23,031 Posts
Good question. But I think you are in the minority wrt thinking the 2nd movie is worth a DVD purchase. I think the studio is just cutting their losses on the 2nd one.

larry

Edit: I stand corrected! Resident Evil: Apocaplypse did make money. From IMDB: estimated budet of 43 million, US gross ~50million, Non-USA ~78million.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I recently bought Apocalypse for $8 at Circuit City.

It's worth it to see Sienna Guillory as Jill, and the audio mix is really good as well. It won a couple of awards (at least one, from what I can clearly remember).

I'd be uninterested in a Superbit release since the largest difference would be the inclusion of a DTS track. The standard DD track is good enough as it is. Also, the casing and extra features make it worth it over a Superbit, which would probably cost $7 more anyways.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
Good question. But I think you are in the minority wrt thinking the 2nd movie is worth a DVD purchase. I think the studio is just cutting their losses on the 2nd one.
Hey now, this is the same studio that put out a The Big Hit Superbit. :eek: If I weren't waiting for the BD versions of the RE movies I'd certainly be disappointed in the lack of a Superbit for the second movie as well. I thought it was good mindless fun. Plus Milla is always nice. ;)

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
The R2 Japanese release (titled Biohazard II: Apocalypse) has a DTS track, FYI.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
Hey now, this is the same studio that put out a The Big Hit Superbit. :eek: If I weren't waiting for the BD versions of the RE movies I'd certainly be disappointed in the lack of a Superbit for the second movie as well. I thought it was good mindless fun. Plus Milla is always nice. ;)
Yes, but stranger things have happened. :) Also, IIRC the PQ in the 2nd was not so hot. Not sure if just a higher bitrate transfer will help, a remaster might be needed.

larry

·
Registered
611 Posts
I was given RE2 as a gift. I would have never purchased it considering it has both FF, WS and Extras on one DVD. The PQ blows chunks so bad I couldn't finish watching it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I thought 2 was better than 1...go figure...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah count me in as wanting to have a Superbit. I didn't buy the movie purposely because I want it on superbit with a DTS track like the first movie. Overall I thought it was an OK movie albeit predictable but it was fun to watch. I just don't like the idea that I have a good PQ + DTS sound on the first movie and terrible PQ and OK sound on the second one.

As far as BD, I won't be rebuying my DVD collection in Hi-Def. I will only be rebuying a few select titles and this series of movies isn't on my list. But I'll still buy the movies on cheaper DVD format because we all know there will be a huge price hike on the movies when the BD format comes out. I would highly doubt we will see $15-$20 movies on release day like we do now for DVD, I would predict they want to up the disc prices to something like LD prices were (around $40-$50).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've only seen it on my HD-DVR, but it looked pretty awesome. If Sony released it on Superbit, I'd be more tempted to buy it. It's hard to see something in HD for the first time, and then buy it on DVD though!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Well, I don't recall the picture quality on the DVD for the second one, but I do remember the audio...and an audio assult it was. The soundtrack rocked. It would be hard to improve on that excellent Dolby Digital mix, and this is coming from a die-hard dts guy.

Anyway, with the recent fire sale at Best Buy, and on the edge of blue-ray (HD whatever you want to call it) DVDs, it's safe to say that Superbit is dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.