AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy an XBOX 360, primarly for use as a Media Center Extender for my new Vista machine. I am also planning to connect the XBOX to an Onkyo 875 receiver.

Based on my understanding of how the Onkyo works, it will not use the HDMI input to power the Zone 2 speakers. Rather, Zone 2 requires an analog connection.

My problem is that I have all my CDs ripped to the computer and want to use the XBOX 360 to distribute music throughout the house, meaning I need it to power both my main speakers and my Zone 2 speakers at the same time.

If I connect the XBOX to the Onkyo using both an HDMI cable and RCA jacks, will the XBOX send the audio signal through both?

Thanks in advance for any help. (I asked a similar question within the Onkyo 875 thread, but have not received any responses, so I thought I'd try here.)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yes, it will output digital through the HDMI and either digital through the optical or analog through the RCA's at the same time. Gives you lots of options for audio for sure......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I assumed this was the case, but wanted to make sure to avoid a potentially ugly surprise. One thing I've learned over the last few weeks is that most of this equipment has at least a few quirks, and it's better not to assume anything. Thanks again!

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/12933655

Yes, it will output digital through the HDMI and either digital through the optical or analog through the RCA's at the same time. Gives you lots of options for audio for sure......

While that's technically true, unless you have a 360 Elite or pay the $50 for the MS HDMI cable that comes with the audio dongle, you can't get HDMI audio and analog/optical audio simultaneously, as most of the cables available for the analog side, will not fit at the same time as the HDMI cable. You can trim the connector housing on a component or VGA cable to get the two to co-exist, but then there's the issue of rebooting, when switching the TV away from the HDMI input and then back. There is a hack to fix that too, but you have to split the connector open and cut a wire. The MS audio dongle solves both problems, but most people aren't willing to shell out the $50 it costs for the MS HDMI cable kit that includes the audio dongle. The 360 Elite comes with the audio dongle, but the other HDMI equiped 360s do not.

P.J.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/12938414

I don't see the difference between "technically true" and "true"

In this instance, the term "technically true" is meant to imply that it is absolutely true, but that there may be more to it, to accomplish the intended goal. The original statement taken at face value, might lead someone to believe that they could easily connect both HDMI and Component or other cable and that is far from the truth in most cases. It doesn't take any clarivoyance to see where the OP was headed. A couple of days from now, he'd have tried to connect both cables at the same time and wondered why nobody warned him at the time he asked the original question, that this was going to be a problem.

P.J.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 /forum/post/12940142

In this instance, the term "technically true" is meant to imply that it is absolutely true, but that there may be more to it, to accomplish the intended goal. The original statement taken at face value, might lead someone to believe that they could easily connect both HDMI and Component or other cable and that is far from the truth in most cases. It doesn't take any clarivoyance to see where the OP was headed. A couple of days from now, he'd have tried to connect both cables at the same time and wondered why nobody warned him at the time he asked the original question, that this was going to be a problem.

P.J.

Yeah, but technically speaking..........

I wish MS had just put an optical output on the danged box

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/12941486

Yeah, but technically speaking..........

I wish MS had just put an optical output on the danged box

You can add one yourself, though at this point with the 3 year warranty, that would be voided by opening up the box to add an optical or spdif coax mod, it's not very enticing. Anyone with an already voided warranty, that wants Toslink optical or spdif coax, can add this mod without much difficulty, if you're handy with a soldering iron.

P.J.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
OK, digging up an old thread, but i have a similar issue, and don't see the need to start a new one.

Can the x360 output optical(toslink) and analog simultaneously?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i /forum/post/15358329

OK, digging up an old thread, but i have a similar issue, and don't see the need to start a new one.

Can the x360 output optical(toslink) and analog simultaneously?

Yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts