AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very simple question.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I voted no because my Tosh CRT has only 2 component inputs and many years of life in it. The only exception would possibly be the PS3 next year, although I'm buying it for the gaming having it play movies over component would definately be a major plus.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
From everything I can tell, if the option to restrict analog outputs is not offered, companies like Disney and many others are not going to release anything of value. Can somebody explain to me why players that only offer HDTV over analog but nothing to play are better than players that offer the restriction for the companies that insist on having it or not releasing the title? Why is this even an issue? Any company that wants to release discs that play in HD resolution over analog can do so. Any company that won't release software without the restriction can do so. Does everybody think if hardware manufacturers make players that won't give the option, that companies will change their minds and go ahead and release software? This issue has at least 20 threads and I have read a lot about the issue and believe without question, these new formats have to offer the ability to restrict analog outputs or fail because of lack of software, period.

Chris

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I would buy it without a doubt. My displays are all HDCP compliant, and I frankly don't give a hoot about analog output. It bugs me that I still have to handle it for legacy sources, in fact. If I did need an analog output, I'd buy one of the HDCP cracker boxes that is currently available.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Ditto, all HDCP compliant here.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I believe both formats are going to have the ability to play HD resolution over component with all home made recordings and all discs that are released with that ability. Why that isn't good enough is beyond my comprehension. The titles that won't play in HD resolution over component most likely wouldn't be released if not for that protection. I still believe if one of these formats offers great value and quality, almost everybody that is whining now about software that doesn't play at HD resolution will understand and buy the product. We don't even know what titles will have the restriction, there very well could be sufficient software that will play in HD resolution to hold everybody over until a 1080p display is affordable which will beat even these allegedly far superior displays with only analog inputs.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
That is not the question tho.

If the device always downconverts over analog I, and those others that have analog only displays, will not buy it, it would be useless to me. If the device does not offer component analog at all, I also would not buy it, since I have no way of displaying the content.

It is really that simple. This poll will most likely result in the exact same results as if the question is "Do you have a HDCP/HDMI compatible display?"

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
If I did need an analog output, I'd buy one of the HDCP cracker boxes that is currently available.
This has been discussed elsewhere, but I think there is a good chance those won't work. For one thing, I don't think Fox would have pushed so hard for all the copy protection stuff if it was going to be this easy to just circumvent their stuff and I'm sure there are lots of people who know about these. Since the boxes are already out (meaning they can buy them as easily as you and I), I don't think it would be that difficult to keep them from working for their intended purpose with HD-DVD or BluRay players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacArrest
This poll will most likely result in the exact same results as if the question is "Do you have a HDCP/HDMI compatible display?"
Probably, but with the added skew from those who will buy an HDCP compatible display if/when it is necessary or know they will be buying one in the next year or so and are just waiting (like for the 1080p Sony sets).

--Darin

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have a analog input only on Sony G70, and IF the " HDCP cracker boxes " do work, I'll get either HD player depending on titles available. If they don't work and the HD player shows it at the same 480 resolution as my current standard dvd player, why would I want to pay $1000 for what I already got? Then I'd wait until until I can get a 3 chip 1080p DLP or next gen SXRD with comparable CRT black level detail for under $15K before getting either HD player.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacArrest
That is not the question tho.

If the device always downconverts over analog I, and those others that have analog only displays, will not buy it, it would be useless to me. If the device does not offer component analog at all, I also would not buy it, since I have no way of displaying the content.

It is really that simple. This poll will most likely result in the exact same results as if the question is "Do you have a HDCP/HDMI compatible display?"
The question doesn't state "always" downconverts. Obviously home made recordings won't downconvert and the technology exists for companies that want to release titles with the ability to play at HD resolutions over component can do so and therefore I expect both HD-DVD and Blu-ray to offer that option. I don't expect major studios to release much or maybe any titles that permit full resolution analog output but I don't know what is going to happen in that regard.

Chris

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Although I intend to buy an HDCP compliant display when the time comes for me to upgrade to a next gen disk device, I'm more than a little p.o.'d that I won't be able to use that technology to its fullest potential with a fairly pricey (at the time) component only CRT display that's in the bedroom. I'm probably also in a better position than some, as I get a pretty decent HD transmission feed of several networks/premiums. I agree that unfortunately, the next gen will probably be able to overcome the current HDCP cracker boxes. Despite that, I voted yes, as I'm not planning on passing up on that technology, and this is the nature of the CE beast.

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
No.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As long as my runco 930 stays running I will not buy one that will only give me downconverted HD-DVD. If a (cracker box) comes out that will work then I will

buy one.

Brad

·
Registered
344 Posts
I will not buy into the HD DVD area until the HD equivelent of DVDecryptor exists so that the movies can be transfered to and used as part of my HTPC. Then I will buy the hardware, software and movies to make it work.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
no.

i would shift to netflix-like services to show a lack of support for such short-sighted and anti-consumer decisions.

I can go from owning HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS dvds down to zero HD/BRD discs and not blink an eye.

learn that hollywood.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I said no in this poll, but I think I'm leaning towards just waiting until whatever shakeout

occurs, and then move on regardless. I've had my HDTV for 6 years now, and I think Hollywood

has good reason to be paranoid when the music industry has rampant copying going on

that is slowly eating their business model away.

I still don't believe that shutting off analog buys them that much, since there is no way to

record it, and in any case, the cheapo copies being made now could easily be made by

pointing a camera at the screen.

However, I feel that making hollywood comfortable with HDTV distribution is paramount

right now. The interfaces are all going to be digital in the long run in any case. By the

time the HDTV DVD situation shakes out, DVI or whatever is going to be the rule for

highend theatre.

What changed my mind is seeing just how cavalier the kids are about copying now. They

really don't think its a problem, and at least here in silicon valley, most of the teens I have

seen have amazingly large collections of copied music CDs and movie DVDs. Its sad,

really. Their generation is going to grow up with ads pasted all over everything in an effort

for films to recover their costs.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
No! For me with my relatively new non-HDCP HDTV, the new HDCP-DVD formats offer me nothing but additional cost and the opportunity to have my personal privacy further intruded into and invaded by Hollwood. Also, the new equipment has DRM which allows Hollywood the opportunity to hack into your system and break any equipment which is made by another company whose license agreements are in default. That's right! You can legally purchase a component and if Hollywood has a business disagreement with that components manufacturer, they will hold you responsible for that problem, and simply disable your component... without your permission or due process and without any recourse by you with regard to their unauthorized entry into your home to break that component.

The new HDCP-DVD playes will allow Hollywood to join the ranks of other hackers.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.