AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I dont know alot about this stuff so let me know if I have the wrong idea.

I would like to build (well start to) a stereo setup... nothing crazy but i dont want junk either. For now I was thinking a pre amp, amp and some floorstanding speakers.

Budget is $600-$700. I would like it fairly evenly distributed (not $500 speakers and $50 pre amp and amp)

So do you have any suggestions for $200 pre amp, amp and speakers.

I have no idea for the pre amp but I was thinking Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 speakers and an Onkyo M-282 amp but thats just kinda a guess on my part.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I would recommend an integrated amplifier (Pioneer Elite, Cambridge Audio, NAD) with some nice bookshelves...

Audiosource seperates (the cheapest seperates I can think of) would cost $400 (retail)...

Pioneer Elite $200

Cambridge Audio $329

NAD $349

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
c3lica,

I would go for a very simple setup - two bookshelf loudspeakers and a receiver (which has a tuner, phono input, aux input, and tape/preamp outputs).

If you really want to save $$, go DIY on the speakers, and thrift stores/garage sale hunting for a good used receiver.

For speaker wires, I would go with either home depot zip cord wire, or outdoor patio power extension cable with the ends cut off and used as speaker wire (i.e. Wal-Mart Woods cable).

- Steve O.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Budget is $600-$700. I would like it fairly evenly distributed (not $500 speakers and $50 pre amp and amp)

If you want the best sound, your system budget should not be evenly distributed. The sound of your system is largely determined by the quality of your speakers (along with the room you put them in), not the upstream electronics. (Analog sources, being the exception to this.) So putting the bulk of your budget into speakers will get you the best sound.

In your budget, separates (preamp and power amp) simply make no sense. I'd recommend the Onkyo 8222 receiver, which can be had for well under $200. That leaves you $400-500 for speakers. Look around for deals on Infinity Beta models, and see what PSB and Paradigm have in your price range. Or shop your local audio salons, and buy what sounds best to you.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Go out and audition gear in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. Once you find what sounds good to you, buy it used for your budget of $600-$700.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts