• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass on this movie at the theater.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Yes...it'll be the 3rd (and final) movie I go to the theater to see this year. I also missed Avatar in 3D so am interested to see how 3D can actually look (I have been thus-far very underwhelmed).

I really wanted to watch the original prior to going, since I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but Netflix doesn't have it (listed as "availability unknown" in my queue). Ugh.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'd already reserved my ticket for the IMAX showing at the Jordan's Furniture IMAX in Reading, MA, so yes, 3D for me. Unlike when I saw Avatar, I'd prefer seeing this one on a full-size screen, especially for the image expansions they're promising (a la The Dark Knight). Can't wait to see how it turns out.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3D (RealD) for me.

And just wanted to make people aware of this:

Quote:
Aping the immortal moment in The Wizard of Oz when the mundane monochromatic palette of Kansas gives way to the riotous colors of Oz, Tron: Legacy bursts from 2D into nifty 3D at the 24-minute mark, when Sam breaks through into the grid.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...n-legacy-56023

·
Registered
138 Posts
Real D 3D for me...the nice thing about Avatar was I tried the different 3D presentations when it was in theaters. Real D 3D came out the winner for me - same image quality as Digital Imax 3D, but at a lower price.

Whenever the Blu-Ray comes out I'll watch it 2D...

Tron Legacy is the most anticipated film of the past few years for me, can't wait.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
If I see this I will see it at my local IMAX, but I am having second thoughts. It's getting mixed reviews from the lowly fanboy review sites (which is a bad sign) and they purposely held it back from the named reviewers again (another bad sign).

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19644768

If I see this I will see it at my local IMAX, but I am having second thoughts. It's getting mixed reviews from the lowly fanboy review sites (which is a bad sign) and they purposely held it back from the named reviewers again (another bad sign).

I started getting nervous about this one after one of the last trailers I saw for it. Seemed that each time I saw an add for it that it looked less and less appealing.

Still, I plan to see it if reviews don't end up just being horrible across the board. As to the poll here, I have to see it in 3D if I want to see it in the good sound room (small town). I'd rather see it in 2D, but I'm not willing to sacrifice what looks like quite a sound experience.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
This looks like a good vehicle for 3d. If I was going to make the effort to see this in the theater, which I'm not, would check the 3d out. But, outside of Avatar, the 3d movies I have seen were pretty meh. I am hoping they can either up their game or quit the fad. I don't think they will quit since 3d seems to run 50% or better for gate.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, if any movie was "made for 3D", however you define that, this one would be it.

But unfortunately, the buzz about it has me a little gunshy about rushing out to see it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
.I loved the simple first one. And always hoped they would remake-revision it with modern CGI. But the script has to be good. If not it's a home movie 2d or 3d. It may not make enough$$ for the studios.

Any new 3D is going to be iffy if it doesn't have a good script and CGI. I have talk with a few parents who are concerned about the eye strain effects on their children.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19644768

Among fanboys/geeks, one could consider Harry Knowles of AICN to be "king geek".

While reading his review of TRON, I started to wonder if he actually wanted to make love to the film.

Yeah - he liked it. But he was a uber-dork for the 1st one.

As for "legit" critics, the reviewer from Variety was mostly kind. Currently sits @ a "fresh" 65% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yeah - I'll probably go see it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/19646929

Most of the reviews at RT seem to say the 3D is hella-good, but the script and dialog are pretty bad.

I'll go see it cuz I loves me some eye candy.

You could say that combo worked out decently for Avatar.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/19647103

I have talk with a few parents who are concerned about the eye strain effects on their children.

Life - live it. After all, there is Lasik, which their kids will probably get sooner or later, unless they die first from being inactive and overweight.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Yeah the reviews are strongly indicating it suffers from the same deficiencies as the original.

IF the criticisms are true....

I find it amazing, if not flat out annoying, that after all this time they would have repeated those mistakes.

"The problem with the first Tron was that it had groundbreaking special effects, but was hobbled by a weak script, which reduced the public's ability to care about the movie. With that in mind, let's take a lot of time to think about this, and produce a movie with cutting edge special effects that is hobbled by a weak script, reducing the public's ability to care about the movie."

Well done, Hollywood.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Pass. 3D is just not that important too me. AVATAR, which I watched on Blu-Ray at home when I first saw it, was an "OK" movie. Story was pretty "Yeah, Uh-huh" too me, and certainly not worth the money being charged to go see it in a theater.

Visually stunning(colors/background), but story wise was a snooze. I think 2 1/2 stars out of 4 is about as high as I rate that film. Really overated IMHO.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/19647707

I find it amazing, if not flat out annoying, that after all this time they would have repeated those mistakes....

Well done, Hollywood.

Rich, it's in 3D. What else is needed according to Hollywood (and, unfortunately, the millions who flock to see crappy movies only because they're in 3D)?

As I eluded to a few posts up, I think the trailers started to give away the substance of the movie, hence my excitement dwindling before I even saw a review for it.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.