AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping they'll soon embrace the immersive audio formats
I'll even settle for 5.1 audio streams instead of that crappy archaic stereo.

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
No, They will have to support 5.1 surround sound first. Today, everything uploaded are converted to 2.0 stereo.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have yet to hear anything good soundwise from a cable, over the air or streaming that I can be happy with. The pic quality leaped 50 times ahead but the sound is not there as yet. It's like a guy works out at the gym but forgets to work on his toothpick legs

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hoping they'll soon embrace the immersive audio formats
I'll even settle for 5.1 audio streams instead of that crappy archaic stereo.
With all the single speaker devices these days (bluetooth and smart speakers ) and the lack of - guitar, bass, drums, singer - bands in popular music, I'm surprised anyone even knows what stereo sound is all about let alone 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Consider that the creators have to do surround sound mixes, chances of them doing it is pretty much nil - they'd need to wire up studios for more than stereo, do all their editing in multichannel and basically double the amount of work they need to do.

Heck, I'd be surprised if there were any creators with a surround sound setup in their editing system - most just have stereo speakers hooked to their PC.

And Atmos requires a much more sophisticated setup that will cost many tens of thousands of dollars, putting it way out of possibility for the vast majority of content creators.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Consider that the creators have to do surround sound mixes, chances of them doing it is pretty much nil - they'd need to wire up studios for more than stereo, do all their editing in multichannel and basically double the amount of work they need to do.

Heck, I'd be surprised if there were any creators with a surround sound setup in their editing system - most just have stereo speakers hooked to their PC.

And Atmos requires a much more sophisticated setup that will cost many tens of thousands of dollars, putting it way out of possibility for the vast majority of content creators.
This is not at all about expense or extra work for creators. 5.1 or better is the default audio production for new content.

Everything produced for Netflix or Hulu, for example, is required to be 5.1. Similarly, nearly all content on YTTV is actually produced in 5.1 to begin with (for example all NFL games and other major sports, network shows, and movies). If you were to watch any of this over the air or on most cable/sat services you would have 5.1 sound as an option. YTTV downmixes these to stereo.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most people still watch YT videos on their phones so probably not.
This topic is about YT TV where content is usually made by a proper studio instead of a regular YT creator with a 2 dollar camera at home. There really is no excuse for only 2.0 sound on YT TV.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
This topic is about YT TV where content is usually made by a proper studio instead of a regular YT creator with a 2 dollar camera at home. There really is no excuse for only 2.0 sound on YT TV.
Same answer still applies.

I wonder what percentage of people who watch YT TV watch it on their phones? I bet Google knows.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Same answer still applies.

I wonder what percentage of people who watch YT TV watch it on their phones? I bet Google knows.
Doubt very many as their sole device for watching based on posts and comments of thousands of users in the two main FB groups over the past two-plus years. I very rarely see questions or posts about accessing YTTV on mobile devices. If someone is using it on mobile device, they also watch via a regular TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts