AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that William needs further praise but I just got my G-15 back from him yesterday. What an incredible diference. Every little quirk, some I had even attributed to my scaler, has disappeared. The picture is silky smooth and, dare I say, very CRT like. I am pretty sure he calibrates other units as well but if you have a DILA that is not yet calibrated I highly recommend his services. Thanks again William!!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
TSHA222,

I fully concur with you on William's capability - he can work magic with a G15.

William is also an outstanding individual who is honest and of upstanding integrity.

William for President? With the qualifications above????

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price was in line with every other calibrator (is that a word?) And I am not kidding. The improvement was very dramatic.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Does he do LCDs?

Dan

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRJAZZZ
DOES ANY One have his phone#?
MRJAZZ,

He follows this forum. Send a message to user "wm"

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I wonder..................How would a WM Phelps calibrated G-15 do agaiinst a new super-duper G150CL

Do the upgraded features and DVI input of the G150CL warrant the extra money or is the G-15 inherently capable (with calibration) to compete with the new beast?

JEff

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
I wonder..................How would a WM Phelps calibrated G-15 do agaiinst a new super-duper G150CL

Do the upgraded features and DVI input of the G150CL warrant the extra money or is the G-15 inherently capable (with calibration) to compete with the new beast?

JEff
Jeff,

As long as "tracking" and "phase" are set correctly on the G15 so that it is synched with the HTPC or scaler - then

the advantages of DVI are minimal to non-existant.

As far as the calibration itself - my vote would be for William Phelps against all comers.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
THat is good to know.

Thanks.

That said, WHat are the distinct advantages of a G150CL over a Phelps calibrated G-15? Anyone familiar with both pieces. I know of digital zoom and digital keystone correction as new attributes.

JEff

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
THat is good to know.

Thanks.

That said, WHat are the distinct advantages of a G150CL over a Phelps calibrated G-15? Anyone familiar with both pieces. I know of digital zoom and digital keystone correction as new attributes.

JEff
Tom Sites (Edit: Stites), a representative from JVC, was very candid about the differences between a William Phelps calbrated G15 and a G150CL. He felt that in many picture quality ways the calibrated G15 would be better.

The G150CL has its own perks.

I would do a search in the Special Guests Forum for Tom Sites comments.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles

Tom Sites, a representative from JVC, was very candid about the differences between a William Phelps calbrated G15 and a G150CL. He felt that in many picture quality ways the calibrated G15 would be better.

The G150CL has its own perks.

I would do a search in the Special Guests Forum for Tom Sites comments.

-Mr. Wigggles
Just a correction - it's Tom Stites - AVS Forum username "tstites".

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
755 Posts
Advantages of 150CL over G15:

* Lamp power control to extend bulb life to 2000 hours

* Adjustable lamp brightness

* Quiet fan (no hushbox required)

* Pre-calibrated

* Improved scaler, deinterlacing options

* DVI/HDCP input

* 10 bit colour processing

* Geometry controls for use with 16:9 screens

* Digital zoom, keystone correction

* Selectable gamma settings

The biggest drawbacks to D-ILA's have been the short bulb life, loud fan, poor scaler and calibration. It looks like the JVC engineers have addressed all these issues in the 150CL and created a projector tailored for HT use.

See the manual for more details:
http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist...el=DLA-G150CLU

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I ask because I am vasilating between the G15 and G150.

I will have the PJ in a sealed room behind the Theater so sound isn't an issue. I was also going to haveWM Phelps calibrate. All of the upgrades don't seem so significant to me.

Tom Stites didn't seem to think the 10 bit color or DVI offered significant advantages versus a calibrated G-15.

However, one I don't understand is the geometry control for 16:9.

What is it and can a scaler such as the LEEZA compensate? I will also be using a Panamorph and a Stewart Horizontal Masking sytem / screen.

Thanks

JEff

·
Registered
755 Posts
The 16:9 geometry controls let you position the 16:9 image anywhere on the panel and reformat 4:3 sources to fit on a 16:9 screen. If you're using a Panamorph you won't need these controls.

I think the DVI/HDCP connection is a worthwhile feature, since it is evolving as the new digital connection for HDTV and other forum members have reported a significant improvement with DVI vs. analog VGA.

DVI VS Maximum Analog Quality

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I appreciate the info Dave.

For me, the 5K may not justify the DVI. Again we are still dealing with a 2nd generation DLA, I may take the slightly not up to date G15, save the dough and wait for the next generation. I don't even think this DVI issue is 100% solved.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.