AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the Elite and still 4-5 years left in it's life cycle, what can we expect from Microsoft to introduce new 360 models?

How they they beat the current Elite. Will we see a newer HDMI connection with 1.3?

300G harddrive?.....special edition colors? A smaller 360 with same capabilities?

I am speculating not anytime soon and probably we might see something in another 2-3 years when nearing the end of the life cycle to boost sales.

Or maybe the Elite is it.

· Registered
310 Posts
If anything I think they will ditch the core model eventually. Then possibly put some minor upgrades possibly to the elite like hdmi 1.3 etc, but im kinda doubtfull of this.

On the basis of colors, and a smaller 360. The colors I dont think they will really do, and the smaller 360 possibly but it all depends on the installed game base and user base for them to choose to release a 360 like the slimline ps2. But right around that time they would be announcing xbox 3, and who knows what will happen then.

· Registered
624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti jaguar /forum/post/0

So with the Elite and still 4-5 years left in it's life cycle, what can we expect from Microsoft to introduce new 360 models?

How they they beat the current Elite. Will we see a newer HDMI connection with 1.3?

300G harddrive?.....special edition colors? A smaller 360 with same capabilities?

I am speculating not anytime soon and probably we might see something in another 2-3 years when nearing the end of the life cycle to boost sales.

Or maybe the Elite is it.

There is always the 65nm processes that are supposed to be integrated by 2008. Possibly a significant enough change in itself, they could also do something else at that same point. They could make it smaller, or ease in some other minor changes, such as a new disc drive, HDMI 1.3, etc. Nobody knows though, and all people can do is speculate.

· Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The 65nm versions will be slated for production in the next 3 to 6 months according to Kotaku so we should hopefully see these (quieter and cooler) models by x-mas if things go well (hopefully they get a better and quieter DVD drive while they are at it.

· Registered
262 Posts
Other than switching to 65nm and eventually they may even get to 45nm core. Depending on if a winner in the HD disk format is truly agreed upon, towards the end of the 360 lifecycle they might even intergrate the HD-DVD drive (depending on cost and it's dvd read speeds equaling the current 360 drives). Other than that I can't think of anything.

· Registered
2,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis /forum/post/0

Well, there IS a Simpson's yellow version coming out.

you kidding?

· Registered
1,055 Posts
core hdmi system

· Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 /forum/post/0

you kidding?

· Registered
698 Posts
we all know M$ is slow as hell with adopting anything at all and when they do it is to late and out of date like the update to play h264 but only in a mp4 container and no 5.1 WTF what about .mkv and AC3 and what about PCM out let my $5000 processor do the decoding no way to play arguable the most widely used format DivX

no M$ will never come out with something "revolutionary" I mean all they do is make sure people cant hack it leave that alone make sure it does what people want so they dont have to hack it as much or like SONY with the PS3 include a "install OS" in the menu so what if there isnt anything really to install but there will be

· Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm hoping to see a revised version with better components such as the 65nm, maybe ditch the tray style dvd player, and fixed RROD.

Anyways, there should be some decent exclusive (and pc ported) games coming out from now until the end of this year. So I'm in no rush. I'd rather make the of the best version once.

· Registered
232 Posts
I would love to have the Simpson's edition 360. My favorite show of all time, watching since season 1 17 years ago. This would be an awesome addition to my Simpson's memorabilia collection, but alas, I cannot see myself spending the money to get one when I already have a 360. Since there is only going to be 100 made, this thing will cost a fortune to purchase when the winners of them sell it.

· Registered
803 Posts
I don't think it will be 4-5 years before we see a "new" 360. More like 3-4 years. They will just make it fully BC with the 360 games so devs can keep rolling with the 360. I don't think it will as big a technology jump as we have been seeing though, but rather an upgraded processor and some more ram. The 360 will hit a limit with the DVD in a few years, so there will have to be some sort of storage upgrade. I suspect it will have a dual BD/HD-DVD drive, as well as a huge hard drive and IPTV. MS will want to take over all of the home media center capabilities and the current xbox isn't quite there. Besides, they will want to force a new PS model on sony since the PS3 has a bit longer life expectancy. Unless of course the PS3 just dies, then MS will have some breathing space since the Wii isn't going to challenge any high-def console anytime soon.

· Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/0

we all know M$ is slow as hell with adopting anything at all and when they do it is to late and out of date like the update to play h264 but only in a mp4 container and no 5.1 WTF what about .mkv and AC3 and what about PCM out let my $5000 processor do the decoding no way to play arguable the most widely used format DivX

no M$ will never come out with something "revolutionary" I mean all they do is make sure people cant hack it leave that alone make sure it does what people want so they dont have to hack it as much or like SONY with the PS3 include a "install OS" in the menu so what if there isnt anything really to install but there will be

Yeah, I guess MS should solely use you as the demographic instead of the 9 million other users or potential customers. Sony is going great with the PS3 aren't they? Nintendo can't keep the Wii on the shelves. I guess Nintendo don't know know what they are doing either since they have don't the connectivity/support you want either.

Not every 360 owner has 5.1 speakers, HDMI, HDTV and knowledge about other codecs/formats out there. It is just about you is it? Sorry for you picking on you but every forum always has a bunch of people complaining and bitching because it is all about themselves in what they want. It gets so tiring at times. Perhaps I need a break from AVS.

· Registered
125 Posts
I'll take a more reliable 360. My second 360 got the 3 red rings of death this past Friday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.