AVS Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2645 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it appears we are going to have yet another duplicate channel here in Wilmington. WSFX has a screenshot up saying CourtTV Mystery will be on the air on January 16. That will take the spot vacated by This TV. I get 40 channels at my house. Sounds like a lot right? But almost half are duplicates, then we have 3 shopping channels, 2 cartoon channels for the kids, a Spanish channel and 2 infomercial channels. Arent there other choices than getting a station that's already in Wilmington? How about the Comet channel? That's on WCTI out of New Bern.

Speaking of WCTI, where have them channels gone? A couple months ago I could pull them in. Especially at night, but not anymore. Did they move to another tower?
Hi,

WSFX .2 will be airing Court TV. Court TV Mystery is on WECT .5. It used to be called Escape. These are two different channels. Court TV televises live and recorded high profile trials.

Also, I would interested to hear any signal reports. As you all know WECT, WSFX, and WWAY moved to our new channels with new transmission equipment Tuesday morning.

Ray
Chief Engineer
WECT-WSFX

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
ILMRay,

I went to another location a few blocks from my house that has a Winegard Prostar 1000 HD7010 yagi VHF/UHF combo on it about 15 ft off the ground with no amp on it hooked to a Phillips TV, and it was getting a better signal than before the change on WWAY. WECT and WSFX were unchanged, but all three channels have the same strength. The TV has a color signal bar from red, yellow, green and blue being the best. All three channels had green bars.

tbritt2112,

WCTI may be at reduced power. I am maxed out here, but I am only 20 miles from the tower. They have been working on that tower for WYDO and WUNM over the last several weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well thats good news. The logo on the screenshot is the same as CourtTV Mystery and thats what threw me. Thanks for that info.
Thanks for the reports guys. I can see how Court TV and Court TV Mystery can be confusing.. When we get things cleaned up at the transmitter site I will post some pictures of the new transmitters. As an old salt these look more like computer servers than TV transmitters, but they do produce a clean data stream.

Ray

Reactions: Retspin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Signal strength since the rescan, Im getting 4 out of 5 bars for wway and wect. Im getting 3 for wsfx. Just a tick weaker than before. I live off Oleander Drive close to wrightsville beach.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Signal strength since the rescan, Im getting 4 out of 5 bars for wway and wect. Im getting 3 for wsfx. Just a tick weaker than before. I live off Oleander Drive close to wrightsville beach.
Thanks! Good to know.

Ray

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,547
If you have a TIVO the guide is all jacked up after your rescan for WSFX, WECT, and WWAY

Also WTMV and WPXU have the wrong frequencies listed

Reported this to them so hopefully they get it cleaned up sooner than later
I did as well using the form. the really screwed this repack up. Tivo you had one job and you failed... that was to map the guide data to the new channels proactively so that when the rescan occured you didnt turn your 4 tuner digital dvr into a VCR from 1992 with a timer function! oh wait we still have Tivo+. lmao!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,548
I did as well using the form. the really screwed this repack up. Tivo you had one job and you failed... that was to map the guide data to the new channels proactively so that when the rescan occured you didnt turn your 4 tuner digital dvr into a VCR from 1992 with a timer function! oh wait we still have Tivo+. lmao!

Tivo guide in our DMA is corrected. I sent them a pretty rough email last night:

All OTA channels affected by the FCC mandatory repack are missing guide data. They have all been rescanned, I have forced a network call to update, and rebooted the box. They all appeared in the guide in duplicate with their original mapped channels with an asterisk once scanned in. The guide data is blank for all these channels. You cant even click manual record essentially rendering dvr function useless for TIVO OTA users. Affected channels are the following, 3-1WWAYABC, 3-2 WWAYCBS, 3-3 WWAYCW, 6-1 WECT DT, 6-2 Bounce, 6-3 Circle, 6-4 LAFF, 6-5 Escape, 26.-2 THIS TV, 26-3 GRIT, 26-4 ION, The only station (s) that have guide data are 39-1 and subchannels and 24-1 and subchannels as they were not affected by the repack. This is a pretty critical issue for tivo subs in these markets and should be addressed with the utmost priority as it renders DVR useless. Everyone had notification that this was going to happen per the FCC and Affiliates. Why did Tivo get this wrong! Certainly this is not the first time something like this has happened where a channel switches broadcast frequency. It appears that manual recording is available but I didn't invest in a VCR , i invested in a Tivo for over the air and that is who I have paid to provide me with a functional dvr complete with guide data for my DMA.

My guess it was already ticketed to be corrected almost immediately after noticed, but it didn't hurt to push some more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In Ocean Isle Beach, channel 6 and 26 look good signal wise, with signal quality running 98% or over.

Channel 3 is showing 85% signal quality currently.

I am using Silicon Dust HDHR4-2US tuners for the measurements above.

All of the above channels display just fine.

Regards!

Jay

·
Registered
51 Posts
ILMRay,

It is too bad you have no pull over WILM TV... :) For my location they still stink when we have tropospheric problems letting the Raleigh channel 15(real) clobber WILM here on Ocean Isle beach.

Would ( or do ) people that are east or west of WILM lose signal frequently due to the tropo effects?

Regards!

Jay

·
Registered
47 Posts
ILMRay,

It is too bad you have no pull over WILM TV... :) For my location they still stink when we have tropospheric problems letting the Raleigh channel 15(real) clobber WILM here on Ocean Isle beach.

Would ( or do ) people that are east or west of WILM lose signal frequently due to the tropo effects?

Regards!

Jay
We have some very strange things happen propagation wise near the water. We all are packed in pretty tightly. I even get some bending over the river on our STL when we have temperature inversions. And that is at 7 Ghz!

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
The skip is so bad around here, (or good depending on your liking) that is why I never advise anyone to use one of those non directional panel antennas, or the round ones that claim 360 degree reception. They just won't suffice when you have so much interference and digital tv can so easily become useless when the sound is dropping in and out.

If I lived in the city of Wilmington, and I could not get WTMV or WPXU having my antenna pointing south, I think I would try two identical directional antennas joined together with a splitter. If that didn't work, I would either use a rotor or run two lines inside from two antennas for each direction and an A/B switch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ILMRay,

Regards!

Jay
I got WILM when I did my rescan Tuesday, but once I rotated the antenna back toward Raleigh Channel 50 overpowered it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are not picking up WTMV, I can confirm it is on the air. Channel 35 real. 29x's virtual. I am watching it. Also picking up Azteca HD on WQDH 18 real. dot 2 and 3 have commercials. Dot 4 has color bars.
Where is the tower located?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is WQDH .2 and .3 going to remain infomercial channels forever? They've been on the air for about 2 weeks now and infomercials the whole time. The new CourtTV channel is on the air.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I am having issues with WSFX and audio on the first two channels. It's rapidly off and on, or off completely.

EDIT: That was corrected very quickly!:eek:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,559
I have a question that mildly pertains to OTA. WWAYDT 3.3 IS CW and is in "HD" OTA as well as I think 1215 on the TWC channel map on a tivo. I am legacy charter spectrum customer in 28412. The CW channel is mapped to 17 on the Spectrum Channel Map for Carolina Beach. Is it true that I am being charged a local broadcast fee on spectrum and not getting this channel because I am 28412 vs 28403 although they are both spectrum? I have the select choice or pick 10 package with spectrum for $25 month plus QTY 2 cable cards fees. Shouldn't I get CW in HD vs SD. 1215 says not valid or error 58 when manually tuned. 17 does come in. Additionally I cannot attest to it but the spectrum app I think provides the CW in HD. I am going to be calling spectrum about this if that is the case and open a ticket if nessecary. I've got tivo set up perfectly now for Cable with 6 tuners. but I would like to have the CW obviously on HD if at all possible. Thought?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
WWAY 3.3 is not in HD. Only ABC and CBS. The CW does broadcast in HD, but WWAY likely cannot handle 3 HD channels.

2541 - 2560 of 2645 Posts