AVS Forum banner

2561 - 2580 of 2645 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the select choice or pick 10 package with spectrum for $25 month plus QTY 2 cable cards fees. Shouldn't I get CW in HD vs SD. 1215 says not valid or error 58 when manually tuned. 17 does come in. Additionally I cannot attest to it but the spectrum app I think provides the CW in HD.
Several of the channels are in HD on the app,but are in SD on the actual cable system. I can't even get a HD FOX feed on my STB and they carry both WSFX and WYDO in Duplin. I have been complaining for 2 years and they still haven't addressed it. If the app had a DVR feature I would send the box back and just use the app only.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,562 (Edited)
WWAY 3.3 is not in HD. Only ABC and CBS. The CW does broadcast in HD, but WWAY likely cannot handle 3 HD channels.
I thought for sure it was. I guess I am mistaken then. Even thought I read a press release that stated it was HD OTA. I dont watch much on CW but every now and then there is something. Today I explored the app on spectrum over apple TV and ad it turnd out it is SD there as well but the on demand redirects to ce website for HD content it appears. Oh well. There are several channel maps on spectrum that point to 1212 as CW HD which is crap since all the other su channels are available on spectrum as well so one would assume CW HD would be available because of that as well since spectrum considers it a local pack within those packages. on CH 17/1215 (HD). Fox is in HD on the TiVo box I am using for sure and is in the 700s o. the channel map.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,563 (Edited)
WWAYABC DT-1 is awful soft 720p / borderline SD resolution. The bitrate is barely watchable as an HD broadcast. I'm watching it on a 77" OLED display. Looks just as bad on a 55" oled display. Furthermore, Wiki currently says WWAY CW DT-3 is HD exclusively to cable systems. I guess either wikipedia is wrong or 1212 is not HD CW? Can anyone confirm? If it is HD on 1212, I have a bone to pick with Spectrum. Surely they can do better for 60 some dollars a month for their subscribers.

I sent an email to engineering as well as the GM of WWAY for answers and clarification. If they are sending that signal out for ABC they should be ashamed. If Spectrum is compressing the hell out of it, something should be done as it borderline meets an HD specification, there is no sharpness or detail at despite the signal being 720P. In comparison Fox is unquestionably better at the same broadcast resolution of 720P.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
CBS on WWAY CBS 2 does not compare very well with WNCT 9.1 Greenville to me. They are both 1080. ABC on 3 is not quite as sharp as WCTI New Bern, but isn't what I would call terrible. My bet is Spectrum. On Spectrum here, I can tell quite a difference between OTA and the cable version.

EDIT. I take back that first comment. It seems WWAY has improved CBS from when I last really looked at it. It is really close comparing to WNCT now.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,565
CBS on WWAY CBS 2 does not compare very well with WNCT 9.1 Greenville to me. They are both 1080. ABC on 3 is not quite as sharp as WCTI New Bern, but isn't what I would call terrible. My bet is Spectrum. On Spectrum here, I can tell quite a difference between OTA and the cable version.

EDIT. I take back that first comment. It seems WWAY has improved CBS from when I last really looked at it. It is really close comparing to WNCT now.
I received a reply from engineering,

Spectrum is a nightmare to deal with when speaking to their engineers, The signal being sent out over ASI to both spectrum and ATMC is the same, as is the streaming feed, but Spectrum is murdering the signal on their side at least for ABC and CW, CBS looks much better as it is 1080i. It looks like the only way they will solve this is with the spectrum afforded by ATSC 3.0 in the coming years OR go with OTA which I am not ruling out again at this point. Things I have control of are switching back to OTA for locals, or going back to directv when fiber becomes available. Right now Spectrum for around 35 a month with tax and 2 cable cards is working budget wise. It is sad that CoziHD looks better than one of the big four on Spectrum.

They also confirmed that CW was converted to 480I when they multiplexed CBS, ABC, and CW with Morris Media. What a terrible idea to have two of the major 4 on the same channel. I absolutely hate that decision. Makes you mad that you live in such a small DMA.

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
The engineer at WWAY is a good guy. I know Marty very well. I worked with him for almost 16 years here at WGHP. He tries to put out a good product with what he has to work with. You can't ask anymore than that.

Reactions: nc88keyz

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,567
The engineer at WWAY is a good guy. I know Marty very well. I worked with him for almost 16 years here at WGHP. He tries to put out a good product with what he has to work with. You can't ask anymore than that.
Its clear that Spectrum is the culprit. Spectrum News looks razor sharp....yet the affiliate streams via ASI look like garbage in comparison. Even WWAYDT-2 CBS in 1080i is soft. With more motion it gets worse too. How low of a bitrate are they the running to cause that. Squashing the signal. I have +37/+38 db coming in on my line. It was tested during my cable card install. It actually breaks up on fast motion just like overcompressed mpeg2 does. I tell you the locals were not what I was worried about when switching to spectrum from directv. All the locals are exhibiting the same issues on spectrum, Fox is the best of the 4 but nothing in comparison to the bitrate on spectrum news . What a joke. Yes Marty was a very straight shooter but cannot seem to get anyone at Spectrum to care. Really enjoying tivo, not enjoying the garbage that spectrum is sending out over digital HD locals. The cable networks in comparison look eons better such as USA, TNT, HGTV. Still not as good as directv but the locals are a complete downer!

·
Registered
14,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,569
He's not the only one.
That is a damn shame. Surely they care somewhat about the quality they are sending out, and you would think at some point in the chain that they would be required to deliver a a spec agreed upon by affiliate and carrier. It damages the stations quality of programing and delivery to the subscriber. Not everyone can accept that OTA is the solution. They are collecting $6 / month as a local broadcast fee, $13.50 on a full package if i am not mistaken. So yes there is some expectation that they would not mutilate that signal to the point it looks no better than a 480P dvd player quality. The engineers should petition Spectrum for change.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,570
If you look at the impeachment trial right now live on all three of ABC, CBS, and NBC you will see how soft and dull colored the tone is on ABC compared to NBC, CSPAN CBS, which all have the same camera angles for the most part Why is ABC so drab and dull in this case?

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
WWAY is on Spectrum up here, but it is not offered in HD. The only way I can look at it is OTA. WECT and WWAY have always been carried even though Onslow Co is in the Washington/Greenville TV market. The issue there is that some areas like the beach and southern parts of the area get Wilmington TV signals reliably, and some but not all of the networks from the official market. It depends on how a home decides to install an antenna as to which channels they will get. I have had people on North Topsail say that all they could get is Wilmington. I don't even think the FCC enforces "significantly viewed" anymore, or if they do, they need a lot of people watching out of market to make it work. I hope the new broadcast 3.0 or whatever it's called will report back who is watching what, much like cable TV has a two way feed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
WWAY is on Spectrum up here, but it is not offered in HD. The only way I can look at it is OTA. WECT and WWAY have always been carried even though Onslow Co is in the Washington/Greenville TV market. The issue there is that some areas like the beach and southern parts of the area get Wilmington TV signals reliably, and some but not all of the networks from the official market. It depends on how a home decides to install an antenna as to which channels they will get. I have had people on North Topsail say that all they could get is Wilmington. I don't even think the FCC enforces "significantly viewed" anymore, or if they do, they need a lot of people watching out of market to make it work. I hope the new broadcast 3.0 or whatever it's called will report back who is watching what, much like cable TV has a two way feed.
Here in Duplin we get 7,9,9.2 (CW), 12, and ION in HD. Fox 14 is SD and we did have Fox 26 also in SD. We also get 5,11,22,28 in SD Tutt station 21 was there in HD,but is blank now. Pretty much all of these are in HD on the app. I have contacted both Spectrum and WYDO with nothing getting done.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Here in Duplin we get 7,9,9.2 (CW), 12, and ION in HD. Fox 14 is SD and we did have Fox 26 also in SD. We also get 5,11,22,28 in SD Tutt station 21 was there in HD,but is blank now. Pretty much all of these are in HD on the app. I have contacted both Spectrum and WYDO with nothing getting done.

Doesn't make any sense to me that you should get Raleigh & Durham, unless there are a lot of OTA viewers in that area, probably up in the northern half of the county. So they took off all the Wilmington stations from cable? There is no law that says they must carry a station in HD that I know of, so they just don't care as long as not enough people demand something be done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Doesn't make any sense to me that you should get Raleigh & Durham, unless there are a lot of OTA viewers in that area, probably up in the northern half of the county. So they took off all the Wilmington stations from cable? There is no law that says they must carry a station in HD that I know of, so they just don't care as long as not enough people demand something be done.
We still have one of the sub channel for 26,but not sure which one. Most people in this area watch the RDU stations over the Wilmington stations. They are easier to get OTA as the antenna is about the same distance plus you can usually pull both RDU and Greenville without rotating the antenna. I am however able to get wilmington off the backside since the rescan about 80% of the time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just an FYI, Justice TV is now live on WECT 6.6.

Ray

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings all!

More bad signal issues with WILM 10, for the last couple days, their signal is either being overridden by their station in Raleigh, or is just a terrible signal.
Normally my HDHR4 tuners show them with 80% signal strength and 70% signal quality.

For the last couple days, the signal quality has been down around 42% sometimes coming up to maybe 52%.

Hopefully someone associated with WILM can get things tuned .

According to the site http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

there are no big issues with tropospheric ducting.

Are any of you seeing any problems WILM OTA?

Regards!

Jay

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Last night and this morning, there was a lot of skip from the west. I was getting Raleigh stations I have not seen in many months, and FOX 50 which is on the same channel as WILM was coming in well. WUVC 40 was coming in the best and was maxed out, so even those weaker stations on their temporary antennas made it way east.

2561 - 2580 of 2645 Posts