AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I last built my HTPC all of 6 months ago it was pretty clear that Win 7 32 was the way to go to avoid any major issues. Since then the 64 bit landscape has much improved, so I am wondering what issues I might expect if I were to rebuild my system using the 64 bit install.

I am having to service my server so I am going to take the Core2 duo setup out of my HTPC to put it into my server to replace the aging Athlon X2 server board. My new build is to be based on the Gigabyte H57 MB with the Core-i3-540 CPU. I will be able to ditch my Asus HDAV Slim in the process.

I watch BR disks using TMT3 Retail and download MKV packaged TV shows and that about sums it up.

Any thoughts on compatibility? Has it become time for 64bit finally?

Much appreciated for the input.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have 4 computers with win 7 64 bit on them and no issues. If you ever want more than 3.2gb of memory then do 64 bit without hesitation. I have no issues with my htpc either. haali ffdshow etc are all available in 64 bit.

only one app I have ever heard doesnt work in 64 bit called reclock I believe and have no clue what it does and is unnecessary for me and many of us who run 64 bit.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18273642

only one app I have ever heard doesnt work in 64 bit called reclock I believe and have no clue what it does and is unnecessary for me and many of us who run 64 bit.

How exactly do you know that its unnecessary for you if you don't have a clue what it does???

I went with 32 bit for my build. Reasons are simple. I will NEVER that much ram for a HTPC, and certain programs are not available in 64 bit. Granted, you can install and run 32 bit stuff on 64 bit Win7, but why bother. Ultimately, decide if you need more than 3 GB of RAM and if so, get x64. Otherwise, save yourself possible headaches and just get x86.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I use Windows 7 64-bit and have no problems.

ReClock works with 64-bit operating systems (and has since Windows XP 64 bit), but it doesn't work with 64 bit programs.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The only problem that many user;s had with the 64 bit Win7 early on was that the manufacturers of some peripheraals such as printers, scaners, and display cards had not completed upgrading their drivers by the time Win7 was released early last fall.

AFAIK 64bit systems if they require any more memory it is not much over 32 bit OS Win7 systems which I have run without problem in 1GB of RAM.

If you have any doubt about an applicastion running in Wkin7 64 bit then just Google or Bing search with the name of the application and with Win7 64 bit.

With Win7 64 bit you can run either IE8 32 bit or IE8 64 bit and with IE64 bit you can run Websites in 32bit compatibily mode if you have any trouble with them in 64bit. I have Icon's for both on my desktop but it has been months since I have had to use IE8 32 bit or run in 32 bit conmpatibily mode.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you wont have any problems with x64.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, my bad.

I run 64 bit on all my machines except for my HTPC. My specific question is regarding the use of the 64 bit OS for my HTPC. In the past I strongly recommended against this due to the infancy of drivers and the fact that I routinely noted that 64 bit users ran into far more problems with HTPC software and peripherals than 32 bit users did.

I suspect that this is no longer true and would like to know if this is indeed the case. I already know that 64 bit is the way to go for any other use (I have... hmmm... 5 PCs in the house with 64 bit on them as it is).

So please only comment if you have a specific comment regarding use of 64 bit Win 7 on an HTPC.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgecko /forum/post/18274730

Oops, my bad.

I run 64 bit on all my machines except for my HTPC. My specific question is regarding the use of the 64 bit OS for my HTPC. In the past I strongly recommended against this due to the infancy of drivers and the fact that I routinely noted that 64 bit users ran into far more problems with HTPC software and peripherals than 32 bit users did.

I suspect that this is no longer true and would like to know if this is indeed the case. I already know that 64 bit is the way to go for any other use (I have... hmmm... 5 PCs in the house with 64 bit on them as it is).

So please only comment if you have a specific comment regarding use of 64 bit Win 7 on an HTPC.

Thanks!

i think you will find that everyone running x64 on an htpc is not having any problems.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How exactly do you know that its unnecessary for you if you don't have a clue what it does???

Because I have everything exactly how I like it on my htpc and I dont have that installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to chime in as another very happy Windows 7, 64 bit, user. My HTPC has been working awesomely. My primary software is PDVD9 Ultra, Windows Media Center, Soundgraph software for my remote, various burning software, and My Movies. I have a clean install and keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm happy with my 64-bit HTPCs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have you ever seen a customer review of an item of computer hardware or an accessory where the reviewer said "I could not get it to work in Win 7 32bit so then I tried it on a Win 7 64bit machine and it worked perfectly?"

I've read through thousands of computer products reviews of various sorts over the past six months and I have never seen such a review. I have seen many dozens of reviews stating that a product would not work in 64bit Win 7 whereas many reviews for that product stated they got it to work in the 32bit version. Now clearly some of those people simply did not install the item correctly and it might have worked in either version of Win 7 if they had. Equally clearly, some of those items would have had problems in both versions of Windows 7. And undoubtedly, in the upcoming months and years better drivers will be released and newer products will come on the market that will significantly reduce the compatibility differences between the two versions.

However, I've seen so many people complaining that they could not get something to work in 64bit Win 7 that I would not risk compatibility issues. A few months ago, when I researched it, I did not find a single good reason, other than for some yet-unforeseen future-proofing rationale, for going with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 in an HTPC. I got four copies of the 32bit version.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If you're doing a pure HTPC and not doing heavy gaming or video encoding then there really is no reason to go 64bit unless you really want to. 3.2 gigs is waaaaaay more then you need for an HTPC. 2 is just fine.

Personally I have 4 gigs installed but went 32bit simply because I just didn't want any compatibility issues down the road with even a minor plugin I might like. 64 bit would gain me nothing but the use of an extra 800 MB of memory that will never be used by the machine anyway.

So if you are sure that everything you want to use both hardware and software have no issues with 64 bit and you just *have* to go 64 bit for whatever reason then go for it. But you aren't gaining anything or getting something "better" by going 64 bit (again, unless you'll be doing heavy gaming or video encoding).

·
Registered
749 Posts
I completely agree with Scott. I run 64bit on my main PC since I use it for many different things and it runs perfect. However, I just switched to 32bit on my HTPC because that is all I use it for, a HTPC.

It's not that 64bit is bad or anything, I love it. Many use it and don't have any problems at all. It's just that is doesn't give you a single benefit if you are using your system as a pure HTPC. So since there is no benefits I went with 32bit so nothing done the road causes an issue.

If you are not sure which one to choose or you are not sure what you will be using the system for in the future, then go 64bit. But if you know you will just be using it as a pure HTPC, then I say go 32bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you use firestb to do firewire channel changing for a STB, then I don't believe the drivers are compatible with W7-64. This is the one thing that is may force me to fall back to W7-32.

·
Registered
20 Posts
64 win 7 pro - no problems

I do have 4 GB of memory and 2GB of it is consumed when recording shows,etc. I did see an improvement after upgrading from 2GB of memory.

pp

·
Registered
837 Posts
Wow I can't believe anyone uses 32bit anymore. I've been running 64bit since it cameout on xp and haven't had problems. Back when 64bit cameout there were driver problems but thats all been solved. They don't even make 2008R2 in 32bit or exchange server in 32bit. I'm 99% sure win8 will be 64bit only. It doesn't make any sense to run in 32bit. There are no advantages of running 32bit unless you only have 1gb of ram.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/3...-windows-7-145

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This sounds exactly like something I would have written a few months ago and exemplifies why I asked... on the other hand, at some point, one must revisit the question and that is what I am doing now. My sense is that the driver situation has come far enough along that I can go with 64 bit - I do have 4 G RAM in the machine and it is a Core i3 system so I am seriously considering going with 64 even though there is still a possibility of issues. Worst case I can always reinstall the OS as 32 bit if thing don't work out...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18275784

If you're doing a pure HTPC and not doing heavy gaming or video encoding then there really is no reason to go 64bit unless you really want to. 3.2 gigs is waaaaaay more then you need for an HTPC. 2 is just fine.

Personally I have 4 gigs installed but went 32bit simply because I just didn't want any compatibility issues down the road with even a minor plugin I might like. 64 bit would gain me nothing but the use of an extra 800 MB of memory that will never be used by the machine anyway.

So if you are sure that everything you want to use both hardware and software have no issues with 64 bit and you just *have* to go 64 bit for whatever reason then go for it. But you aren't gaining anything or getting something "better" by going 64 bit (again, unless you'll be doing heavy gaming or video encoding).

1 - 20 of 181 Posts