AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my HTPC from Vista to Windows 7 (64 bit). I have an AMD XFX R6570 Core Edition graphics card I use with XBMC to watch movies, and run 5.1 through HDMI. Since upgrading to Win 7, I cannot get the audio from the graphics card to work. In the audio device manager, it shows the graphics card as installed and working, but it is greyed out and says "not plugged in." Graphics works fine, it just isn't recognized as an audio device. I also have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard installed, and it is recognized. So right now, I can run my home theater, with graphics coming out of the AMD via HDMI, and stereo sound out from the M-Audio. This same hardware configuration worked fine before the OS upgrade. Here is what I have tried to date:

-I have tried plugging and unplugging cords and plugs.
-I have uninstalled the Catalyst suite, and reinstalled.
-I have used an older version of the catalyst, suite, the current stable verion, and the latest beta version (all for Win 7 64-bit)
-I've gone into device manager and tried about every different type of driver I can find.
-I have reinstalled windows.
-I have taken both audio cards out, reinstalled and started from scratch with only the AMD graphics card.
-I have installed the latest Realtek drivers for W7 (64 bit), because someone told me their manager would let me force the sound out of the HDMI, but that didn't seem to get me anywhere.
-I tried posting for help at AMD Forums, and got many of the above suggestions there. It was suggested I ask around here.

No matter what I have done, I can't get the graphics card to be recognized as a "plugged in" audio device. This of course defeats the entire purpose of the HTPC. I may be missing something very basic and silly, but I can't think what it is. All of this hardware, in the same configuration, worked a few days ago with Vista.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Take the AVR / home theater system out of the equation.
Connect the hdmi directly to the Tv.
Remove the other sound card (hardware and software) completely from the system.
Try all the software/driver stuff with the AMD/realtek again until you get the PC to recognize the audio device.

AFTER you get it working with the Tv bring the AVR back in. Power on/off sequence is important when using hdmi PC with an AVR. Powering off AVR or changing inputs can cause PC audio drivers to do crazy things:
Power off the PC.
Plug the hdmi from the PC to the AVR / home theater system and AVR to Tv.
Power on the Tv and the AVR, set them to the correct input.
Last step is power on the PC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the AVR / home theater system out of the equation.
Connect the hdmi directly to the Tv.
This did the trick, and to you I say, thank you. I feel a bit foolish that I spent so many hours on this now, but hey, it's fixed. I even have the other sound card seemingly working, and everything rolling. I guess I don't totally understand why the same process wouldn't have worked if I was hooked PC>Receiver>TV, but it "took" when I was hooked PC>TV. But I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts