AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding 4 750GB hdds to my Abit AN-M2HD and creating a RAID-5 but am concerned that Windows XP 32-bit has a 2TB Volume limit. Can anyone help me calculate this, or direct me to a page?

The way I see it, RAID-5 will create a volume n-1, where 4 drives becomes a RAID-5 sized at 3*750GB = 2.25TB. And, yes, I know this is a raw value, and not the formatted value.

Has anyone created a 4 disc, 750GB RAID-5 in Win XP 32-bit?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
4 volume raid 5 would be three 750GB volumes. You'll lose a little bit as in my experience, the limit is about 2.1TB. I tried and tried but.....

Vista, of course, solves the problem as you can define a GDT drive well beyond 2TB. Interestingly, XP machines can use that drive over the network without limitation!

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
You should be able to do it by setting it up as Dynamic Disk and using larger than default cluster size (ie 64k).

FWIW, you're right on on the RAID overhead, but you forgot to figure in the drive size math "overhead", HDD manufacturers measure drives in base-10, while software uses base-2, so you're actually:

750GB * 10^9/2^30 = 698GB/disc, so that would be 2095 GB for the array, or you'd only lose about 100GB even if you stuck with a 2TB volume.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dynamic Disc is not an option in the Home version of Win XP... or so I've learned.

I also was asking as it may be there is overhead associated with the NVidia RAID-5 implementation that might further reduce the volume's size. But, if the other guy is right -- 2.1TB -- then 698*3 = 2094

1 - 4 of 4 Posts