Hi guys,

Firstly here’s what I have.

Asus A7V266-E (no raid).

AMD Athlon XP1800+

256MB DD-RAM

Seagate Barracuda IV 60GB (7200RPM)

Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB (5400RPM)

Windows XP (Home Ed).

At present, the HDD in use is the 40GB. This is full with .jpgs, .txt, music, games, vobs, programs, etc.. + Windows XP.

I want to use the new 60GB 7200 HDD as the master, install Win 98SE + Win XP (Dual boot) on it, transfer the files I need from the old HDD to it, format the old one (loads of [email protected] on it).

So I’ll have the 2 drives configured as such: Master (60GB 7200), dual boot 98+XP, Powerstrip, Power DVD, Zoomplayer, Dscaler etc.. Slave (40GB 5400).

I have Norton Ghost, so I also want to create partitions to create backups of the main operating system & essentials such as those mentioned above.

I’m hoping to use the PC as a PVR – hence the large, quiet drives. I also rip DVDs on occasion.

Questions:

What the hell do I do???????????????????????

What format should I use, NTFS or FAT32? I know (think??) that FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, so using this for ripping (use DVD Decrypter & Daemon Tools virtual DVD drive) or PVR isn’t on, correct?

If I format all in NTFS, will Win98 see the partitions?

The old HDD (the one I’ll need to copy files from B4 formatting) is FAT32. If I install Win98 + XP on an NTFS partition, will I be able to copy the files across from FAT32?

What (FAT or NTFS) &, how many partitions should I create?

I’m aiming for a stable, dual boot, HTPC/Surfing/Gaming/PVR general quiet (at least I can get that sorted on my own!) PC.

Sorry for all the questions, but I hope some of you can get my meaning.

Any advice or links to useful web sites appreciated.

BTW, I find the Seagate Barracuda HDDs virtually silent in operation, & the Enermax 350w PSU (slow fan speed setting) the same.

Feeding a Panasonic PT-AE100 @ 856x480.

Please take pity on me, I’m hoping to get stuck in over the weekend

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's a lot of questions. I'll try to reply generally and answer a few of them.

NTFS is a better file system for large drives (more efficient), has some security advantages, is more robust, doesn't have the file size limitation, and is necessary if you want to use some of XP's more advanced administration features (which you may not have since you have XP Home - I dunno for sure). Win98 will not be able to read stuff from partitions you format as NTFS, and can't be installed on an NTFS partition. Norton Ghost will not work with NTFS (unless you have the super-duper corporate edition).

As far as number of partitions go, that's really a matter of personal preference. Smaller partitions make for somewhat more efficient storage (block size changes with partition size), but with big hard drives so cheap, it hardly matters. Multiple partitions can make it easier to do backups, dual boot setups, and installations. I have all my drives set up as single partitions because I don't care about those things.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ;)

I didn't know Norton Ghost isn't compatible with NTFS partitions:(

So I'll have to install 98 on a FAT32 partition, Win XP on NTFS, but I'll lose Ghost with XP?

Win 98 will only be for some games (I have a force feedback steering wheel which I love, but can't locate any XP compatible driver for it!), & access to DOS. I'll obviously install the programs I need in 98 on the same FAT32'd partition.

XP will be the default OP system.

Should I go for NTFS, despite losing the advantage of Ghost?

Finally, is there some work around to let me use PVR software & DVD Decrypter on a FAT32 partition (with it's 4GB limit)? I usually rip DVDs using Smartripper, playing back the VOBs in Power DVD, but suffer from noticeable pauses between VOBs. This was one of the main reasons for opting for NTFS partitions - using Decrypter, ISO files etc.. aswell as the advantages you mentioned already.

What would you opt for (Ghost is quite important to me - I have been known for the odd bit of overclocking :cool: - corupted the MBR on the last occassion) ?

Again, thanks for the reply, & best of luck in the world cup!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.