AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wondering about the actual playback performance of DVD software under windows 2000. I have 2000 and 98 on dual boot so it may seem lazy of me not to try myself but I'd prefer to keep the registry in a reasonable condition.

I have a PIII 450 so should I expect poorer playback speed in 2000? Should I just stick to 98 for DVDs?

Thanks..

Martin

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Martin:

___I have been replying to your posts/threads quite frequently lately http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif 450 MHz is certainly enough HP to run a SW DVD player under Windows 2000. The only real difference is in the way the drivers and players perform (ATI’s 4.1 player and the various Widows 2000 Radeon drivers have a poor output in comparison to the HW/SW listed below IMO) and how clean Windows 2000 or any OS for that matter was installed. I prefer to run a Windows 2000 HTPC simply because it can do everything without a reboot every once in awhile to regain resources. Windows 98 SE/Millennium as you already know, need this and usually at the most inopportune time … My favorite Windows 2000 SP2 setup was an Elsa GeForce2 GTS with the Win2K 7.58 drivers, an M-Audio AP2496 with the WDM Win2K drivers, WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4, and DirectX8.0a installed. Custom T&R’s as well as AC-3/DTS capability is a given and you can go right from a heavy dose of gaming or web surfing to SW DVD playback without even thinking about what level of resources do I have left as is the case when using Win98 SE or Millennium. I now have to keep the Radeon installed under Windows 2000 for advancements and tech support on previous builds but it certainly is not my preference.

___On another note, I used to run a 98 SE ICS box with ICS running while still watching a DVD to the HD display without trouble but if the HD was accessed by one of the kids, the inevitable skip would happen. I have not seen this with my Windows 2000 build since the first day I installed this excellent OS. Caveats … Make sure you have a good troubleshooting background because when Windows 2000 goes down, it goes down a lot harder than a Win98 SE or Millennium box ever will in my experience.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I've ever thanked you properly for them. I have been pleased to get your detailed responses in the past in a multitude of different topics and always appreciate the time taken.

Martin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.