AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm trying to use a Voodoo3 2000 (old yes, but I had it sitting around the house :p ) as a vid card to my Hitachi Widescreen. I followed the instructions in the Custom Resolutions Guide but the resolutions don't show up in my selectable list.

3DFx is listed as supported, although that could very well be the 4/5000 generation. Has anyone gotten a Voodoo3 to work and if so, what drivers are you using?

Second question, assuming no one has (or even tried), would a Radeon 7500 do the job for me?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I suspect you're missing a step in the setup. I've never liked Powerstrip never much and the posts re using it are similarly confusing. I have a spare Voodoo3, too, but have no interest in using it. A Radeon 7500 would probably work much better, at least as far as DVD playback goes. Better still would be to find a close-out on an 8500-based card, e.g. an OEM 8500LE. Then, you could use ATI's dongle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd go for the 8500 in a heart beat but the mobo I'm using only has a 2x AGP. Also I'm just taking things a step at a time. For now I want to display 4am Music Console on my TV. Once I get that all figured out I'll add more to it and expand from there.

·
Registered
936 Posts
There's negligible performance difference between AGP 2x and 4x and, in fact, my own system is an 8500 running AGP 2x. So, why does that prevent you from getting an 8500-based card?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I didn't :D I went out this weekend and picked up a 9000 Pro and it works just beautifully. Now I just gotta figure out the best way to hook the darned thing up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.