AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two systems I'm planning to do an in-place upgrade to Win7. One is my main HTPC (Vista32) which I use for HD viewing (PowerDVD, MPC-HC) and SD TV recording/playback. My HTPC currently has a 2600XT running CAT 8.4's, the other machine a 3650 running CAT 8.12's. I've stuck with these as they seem to offer the stability I need with fewest bugs.

I've run the Win7 upgrade advisor, which seems happy enough, but obviously I need to upgrade the ATI drivers if I migrate to Win7, but how are the current drivers working in Win7 (9.7 is the latest). This driver seems to be a combined Vista/Win7 driver, but is anyone using Win7 RTM with the 9.7 drivers? Do they work in all modes (HD/SD)? Are there any problems with EVR acceleration in PDVD/MPC-HC?

I'd feel happier someone giving me some good feedback before upgrading!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Was pretty seamless for me. Helps that win7 covers most codecs already.

Only minor issue is there's no 64bit media foundation mkv splitter yet, only directshow ones available (haali and MPC's internal). 32bit win7 has the divx mkv splitter though, that works pretty nicely.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am having problems with a black border around the screen with the W7 RTM/9.7 drivers on 2 different systems with 4800-series cards. When I plug either system into my Denon 4308CI receiver and to my JVC RS-1 front projector, I get the black borders. I cannot find a setting in CCC to get rid of them. The overscan adjustment that was available in prior versions of CCC is gone, as far as I can tell. However, I did not need overscan adjustment under Vista. It worked with no borders.

I hope your setup doesnt run into this. If anyone has ideas for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. TIA

·
Registered
189 Posts
FYI, found the fix to my problem. In the new CCC with 9.7 drivers, click Graphics drop-down menu, select Desktops & Displays. Right-click on the appropriate bottom TV icon, select configure... and a new set of tabs appear with more options. Select Scaling Options tab to fix the overscan/underscan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for posting this resolve, I will try it with my issue below.

I am rebuilding my HTPC with Windows 7 and I noticed now with a resolution of 1920x1080 on my panny I get 1" black bars all around the picture. I have tried different inputs I have reinstalled Windows 3 times. It came up full last rebuild but only for a short time and then it changed back to black bars. I am using the HDMI ports and an ATI 3400. I have tried two different HDMI ports still no luck. Obviously everything was fine with this rig under Windows Vista. I'm trying unplugging the TV if that doesnt work i will try rebuilding the PC again off the network to see if its downloading a driver automatically. Any other suggestions? What about the factory reset on the TV it seems password protected though.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACZML120 /forum/post/17416059

Thank you for posting this resolve, I will try it with my issue below.

I am rebuilding my HTPC with Windows 7 and I noticed now with a resolution of 1920x1080 on my panny I get 1" black bars all around the picture. I have tried different inputs I have reinstalled Windows 3 times. It came up full last rebuild but only for a short time and then it changed back to black bars. I am using the HDMI ports and an ATI 3400. I have tried two different HDMI ports still no luck. Obviously everything was fine with this rig under Windows Vista. I'm trying unplugging the TV if that doesnt work i will try rebuilding the PC again off the network to see if its downloading a driver automatically. Any other suggestions? What about the factory reset on the TV it seems password protected though.

Confirmed, maxing out the scaling solved the issue, I did look for it at one point but couldnt find it. Also thought would need a 3rd party add-on in order to do it and was frustrated that I didnt see this with Vista. Thanks again for the resolve to this issue.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For some reason, I am unable to find anything to do with scaling in the CC settings. I followed the directions to a tee and the only area I can adjust that is remotely close is the resolution. Currently, it is maxed at 1920 x 1080. I still suffer from the black border.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag1077 /forum/post/17417375

For some reason, I am unable to find anything to do with scaling in the CC settings. I followed the directions to a tee and the only area I can adjust that is remotely close is the resolution. Currently, it is maxed at 1920 x 1080. I still suffer from the black border.

Go to the devices page where it shows the display small in the bottom left corner and large on the screen. Right click on the smaller one on the bottom left and select CONFIGURE. This will pull up a series of tabs for HD-TV including scaling.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
after my 9400 mb went bad I put in my old mb and the old 2600xt

I just used the drivers from windows update and have had zero problems with tmt3 and mpc-hc (hwa, overscan, etc)

I have no ccc settings though if that's important to you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone else having problems with aspect ratio on secondary monitor with 9.10 drivers? The output to my old 32inch tv is full screen always I can't get it to observe the aspect ratio and theater mode is set properly.

Edit: 9.10 is a bug ridden mess stay clear of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts