AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well i finally got around to building my htpc, im using Win7 Ultimate, im having a few problems with mediaportal.

Everytime i try and play an .iso file 'window media player' loads it in the foreground then media portal forces it to the background, its very annoying.

I have Deamon tools installed and have set it up right ( I think), have i missed a setting or something?

Ive been working on it for the last 48hrs and still no joy.

How can i stop wmp popping up when i play a .iso file in mediaportal?

Thanks guy's,

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Sounds like your AutoPlay for a DVD is set to WMP. Say you slip in a DVD and you WANT it to open WMP and begin playing - that's AutoPlay! Go under Control Panel and find the AutoPlay settings for DVD and set to DO NOTHING. When Daemon maps the image it appears as a DVD was inserted into the virtual drive which triggers AutoPlay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, since then im having more problems..

Win7 seems very buggy..

If i rip a dvd to .iso then open MediaPortal > Moving pictures, the .iso file is recognised but if i try and play it MediaPortal / Win7 Crashes and i have to restart the whole system....Then i open MediaPortal again and click on the .iso file i ripped before it crashed and it plays it fine, this happens with every dvd > .iso file i rip.. Its becoming an annoyance.

Win7 just doesnt seem to like MediaPortal / Deamon tools all the time, sometimes it wont even load MP, then it doesnt recognise Deamon tools, then other times it runs like a dream!!

Im seriously just thinking of loading XP, at least i know everything that i want to install will work 100% of the time.

Then when i first installed win7 it wouldnt let me create a partition so i had to just install it, i tried to shrink the partition after, but, it would only let me shrink it to half (1TB to 500gig) I wanted to shrink it to 100gig for OS and the rest for the media.

This is what im running..

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (MediaPortal / MovingPictures / Deamon tools / DVD FAb)

Intel BOXDG45ID LGA 775 Intel G45 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7200

Scythe Shuriken Low Profile

Kingston HyperX 4GB Limited edition

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB

ASUS SATA DVD±RW

Corsair CX400W Power Supply

Lian Li PC-C37B

It all works ok, i think its just the software??

Anyone else have problems with Win7 + MediaPortal + Deamon Tools??

Thankyou,

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Daemon tools I had to grab a Lite version that is Win7 compatible. I also had a few setup options as I recall. You DO have the same virtual drive being created/assigned to daemon as you're calling from inside MP's Daemon setup tab? As far as the shrinking, I did my install on an old 80GB ATA and saw a similar 1/2 thing... maybe the size of the swap file is based on the system drive, or maybe you can try to shrink it again. Otherwise you could repartition / format the drive on another PC before you reinstall Win7 onto a 'smaller' partition. I play ripped DVDs (.ISO) from MyVideo - NOT from MyDVD. Not sure if that might be doing something. I also PICK the 'notify me before playing' option so I know when it should be calling on Daemon to mount the .ISO (As you can tell, I do NOT use the fancy plug-ins but the basic installation. Of course, I'm assuming you're using the MP 1.1.0 RC1 that's out... or are you trying to use 1.0.2 with Win7? Also, you may be having issue with various versions of the plug-ins dedicated to specific releases of MP - be sure you're loading compatible versions!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It`s not Windows 7 that`s buggy, it`s Media Portal that is a POS. It doens`t have full support for Win7, and even on XP is slow and sometimes buggy.

just get XMBC or use the native Media Center from Win 7 with Media Broswer, both are far superior choices. 7MCE with media browser is easy to set up and stable like a rock, while XMBC has more tweaking options and personalization options.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The auto play function was set to use WMP when a dvd was inserted, sorted that bit out, that was the only real issue with Media portal (as it crashed when WMP tried to play the .iso at the same time as MediaPortal) Im running MediaPortal 1.0.2 with Moving Pictures, hopfully it should work fine now.

I tried shrinking it again and it said i could shrink it by 300mb, so ive made a partition of 100GB, could i just try installing it straight onto that (from start up / with cd).. i.e while its still has win7 on the bigger patition? Then format the bigger partition? Not to sure how it works..

WMC does look really nice and i would be tempted just to use that, but, i cant play .iso files through WMC.

Thanks for your help guy's,

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
It`s not Windows 7 that`s buggy, it`s Media Portal that is a POS. It doens`t have full support for Win7, and even on XP is slow and sometimes buggy.

just get XMBC or use the native Media Center from Win 7 with Media Broswer, both are far superior choices. 7MCE with media browser is easy to set up and stable like a rock, while XMBC has more tweaking options and personalization options.

There is more to it than that. XBMC does not support live tv, so if you want that then cross that off the list straight away.

Also, if you are one of those people that notice and are annoyed by judder caused by refresh rate mismatch then you might aswell cross 7MC off the list too as it simply runs at 1 refresh rate (unless you stop and restart it). Plus, reclock doesn't work with it. The only option you then have is to use an external player with mediabrowser and that results in brief glimpses of desktop as they switch over which ruins that integrated feeling that some people want from their HTPC (i believe mediabrowser minimises itself to prevent 7MC and your external player "fighting" with each other for GPU power which in turn screws hardware acceleration) .

MediaPortal on the other hand can handle both these things. While i agree that previous versions of MP have been pretty buggy the new RC1.1 for me has been fine. I've tried it on XP and on 32bit Windows 7 Home and have not noticed any differences. In fact its been so good i've switched from 7MC to MP.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Do you have infoservice enabled in your plugins? If so, disable it. I couldn't get anything to work while it was enabled.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have no personal history with installing the OS on another partition, or establishing a dual-boot option... but you may be able to do so with dual-boot and then remove the 'old' one at a later time... again, no personal experience on that topic.

Glad to see you got the Win7 AutoPlay from hammering your MediaPortal.

As far as MP being a POS it's not for the faint of heart. 7MC and all of the M$ solutions are for mainstream users who want simple setup for mainstream function. Those of us watching LiveTV, recording TV shows, playing DVDs, ripped .iso and compressed .mkv and .m4v files need more than mainstream functionality.

Back to the OP - you might like to update your post #3's mention of s/w to include version numbers... MP 1.0.2 was released in 2009 well before Win7 and does not claim to support it! YES, I know many are using it on Win7 but that's one of the big features in their upcoming MP 1.1.0 -- Win7 support. They are in the Release Candidate stage currently with 1.1 RC1 available to 'try' and they plan to release 1.1 RC2 soon... the site will tell you more and also you'll need compatible versions of the plug-ins once you install the new version. I'd wait 'til RC2 before jumping in as they say it's fixed many bugs found in the RC1.

I've been using MP since 2007 on my various XP systems. I didn't have XP-MCE and was using a cluge of components like WatchHDTV, Daemon-Tools, ATi MMC 6.03.1, Windows Media Player, and a custom-written scheduler to interface between (the then FREE & public) Zap-2-it and the WatchHDTV-record application. Lots o' window-based activity and NOT at all integrated! I was soooooo pleased to stumble across MediaPortal and have never turned back! No more mount this, drag that, open there and hit this keystroke sequence... I can do anything I need to with my (standard) Hauppauge 45-key remote!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your advice, i like the idea of trying the dual boot option then formating the bigger partition, but, like you i have no idea how to do it... i'll have to do some research.

Thanks again guy's,

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not familiar with Media Portal, but having used Daemon Tools in the past, I would highly recommend switching to VirtualCloneDrive (from Slysoft). It is more stable, and can still associate files, auto-mount, and everything else that DT can do. I switched about a year ago and never looked back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deamon Tool Lite is working really well now for me in Win7 x64, so i'll probably stay with that for now, but, i'll definatley keep that in mind if it all goes wrong in the future, thankyou.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts