AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new ASUS Vivopc VM40B PC. Came with Windows8. I am trying to get a player on it that can play my video files. This PC has SPDIF audio out, but I cannot get it to work when the source file has DTS sound. I tried MPC (which I have used on my previous HTPC), AC3 works fine when I select SPDIF, however if I select SPDIF for DTS I get no sound. If I select speakers and have it decode the stream, I get sound but major sync issues.

I tried FFDSHOW external filter, and had same result when set to SPDIF.

I tried VLC, same issue.

I tried XBMC, sound works OK via SPDIF in XBMC, but video performance was not so good, and I am not a big fan of XBMC.

Windows Media player plays the video great, but no sound.

My older HTPC is XP, and I had to go through all kinds of hoops to get MPC to work when playing MPEG4 and VC1 content under XP, with no hardware support to speak of. I was hoping that Win8 would be a great improvement given that the OS was ten years more developed..

If you have worked through this issue and have a suggestion I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

TH

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Sorry, I don't use S/PDIF, but you might try some of other players which support WASAPI. Examples are MediaMonkey, MPC-BE and Foobar 2000. By default they use DirectSound (as VLC does), but WASAPI can be selected in their audio options menus.

If you can connect the computer to your a/v system using HDMI, that'd provide better multichannel audio than S/PDIF can.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Agree with Selden Ball - if you have HDMI, then use that instead of SPDIF.

I wrote a HOWTO guide for a slightly different situation but it would still be useful for you to read it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515485/hdmi-switcher-with-audio-extractor-digitech-monoprice-optical-spdif-surround-sound-win8-howto

I'm using the ac3filter external filter + MPC-HC.  I configured ac3filter to convert everything into a Dolby 5.1 48K stream so that my receiver can play it.

(Note: You can also use ffdshow to achieve the same thing as ac3filter)

Some reasons the DTS stream you tried might not have worked:

* your player only supports Dolby over SPDIF

* it was a 44.1K sound file, but the Dolby was 48K (most sound cards only do 48K natively)

Cheers

alpha3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts