AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Harmony remote to control my Home Theater, using an IRMan to get the IR signals into the PC. Everything works great as it controls my projector, Grafik Eye Light Controller, Denon receiver and even Theater Tek. However, I'm trying to get control of Winamp and am stumbling.

IRMan came with a winamp pluggin that lets me control some of the winamp features, outside of the harmony configuration. But, it does not let me control the playlist which is most important. It also seems to conflict with Girder's desire to control the COM port.

I found a Winamp2/5 GML file for girder after much searching, but while it had all the commands defined, there were no actual IR codes assigned, unlike the Theater Tek GML which already had everything done. The nice thing about Theater Tek was that not only was the GML file complete, but the Harmony Device file on Logitechs website matched.

I was able to call harmony Tech support and they had what's called a 'private device' for Winamp. You can't add it from the configuration website, but they can add it for you in your available devices. Again, it has many of the commands available for Winamp with IR codes added, but who knows what the codes are.

Anyway, long story short....Does anyone have a working Girder GML file that enables them control with a Harmony remote?

If not, can any Winamp gurus suggest an alternative way to set things up within winamp where I wouldn't have to use playlist control? Right now, I have all 18,000 titles listed and I simply scroll through and double click on the one I want to play. After that, the next title in the album automatically plays, unless a toggle shuffle, in which case random titles play. With the existing IRMan pluggin, you cannot scroll through the playlist. You can select 1, 5 or 10 titles away, and it plays, but the scroll list does not update, which is also somewhat confusing.

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I figured most of it out....I've got the harmony controlling winamp via Girder, with fairly full functionality. But I still have the issue of managing an enormous playlist.

Right now, I have 18000 songs listed alphabetically by artist in my playlist. During normal execution of winamp, I have the winamp player and the playlist editor displayed (I toggle the milkdrop visual with a remote button). I can bring focus to the playlist editor and scroll through the list and select tracks, no problem. I programmed the up/down arrow keys on the remote to scroll up/down in the playlist, and the right/left arrow keys to scroll by 10 tracks up/down. These keys repeat on holding the button down.

But, w/ 18000 songs, it still takes considerable time to scroll even at 10 songs at a time, every 100 ms. About 180 seconds, or 3 minutes from top to bottom.

I tried using the advanced jump, but that requires textual entry which the harmony remote does not do well (only numbers).

Is there a winamp pluggin that will assist in jumping through the playlist by some other method besides using alpha entry, or is there a better way to organize the 18000 songs. I want them all available for party type jukebox selection.

Robert

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll end this with my solution, for further searches....

I ended up displaying the media library, NOT the playlist. The media library allows jumping to artists/tracks by typing the first letter. So, I programmed some buttons on the remote to act as 'abc' 'def' 'ghi' etc....Now, using Girder, I'm able to bring focus to the media library window and using the text buttons at least get close. Then using the arrow keys, hone in on the track I want.

Everything is working well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.