AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get the best playback from Winamp so am looking at some of the plugins you can use with it. I've installed the CD Reader plugin which seems to work fine, also the Monkey Audio plugin and MAD plugin for good MP3 decoding. The problem I'm having is with output plugins. There seems to be 3 I could use, an ASIO plugin or a KS (Kernel Streaming) plugi or a Direct Sound with SSRC plugin. I've downloaded the ASIO one from http://www.aikis.or.jp/%7Eotachan/out_asio.html but when I choose that as my output plugin I can't play anything. When I click on a track in the playlist it just doesn't seem to play , it's not that it plays and I can't hear anything, it just doesn't even seem to play (i.e. no equalizer display, no track number/timer). I've tried the KS plugin and that seems to work ok but it doesn't seem to have the options that the ASIO one does (nothing about resampling). The Direct sound with SSRC one seems to work too but isn't the point to get away from the WinXP KMixer and I don't see how the Direct Sound plugin is doing that (I may be wrong). Basically I want to make sure I can upsample stuff to 192khz/24bit resolution if possible as I've got an Maudio revolution which should be good for it. Any advice as to the plugins I should use and why perhaps the ASIO one doesn't work (this is via the analog outs of the Revo by the way, I know the Revo doesn't support ASIO via SP/DIF at the moment).

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You need to mess around with the settings of the ASIO plugin, in particular the "Shift Output channels" option. Try various values and find one that works with your soundcard.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update, got the ASIO plugin working but when I use that or the KS plugin I don't seem to be able to use the Circle Surround II processing of the M-Audio Revo card, is this to be expected? Just seem to get 2 channel playback, it sounds fantastic but it would be nice to be able to use 5 channel playback too. Also I don't seem to be getting anything through the digital coaxial, do I need to do something else to do that? Ideally I'd like to resample stuff and send it out via digital coaxial at 24bit/96khz to my AVC-A1SE which I assume will take such a digital signal.

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Since ASIO is direct to your soundcard's output without any processing at all, obviously CS2 won't work, nor any other sort of DSP, even volume control.

To get it out through your S/PDIF output you'll need to setup your soundcard.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
you should be able to get HS to work with your REVO by selecting the S/PDIF interface as the default playback device in the Windows Audio control panel.

The current Revo driver seems to hve a problem with ASIO and the S/PDIF interface.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Andy,

Keep in mind if you use CS to get 5 channels, then you would need to re-encode to DD (i.e., NForce) if you wish to send all 5 channels digitally to an external receiver or pre/pro since digital S/PDIF can carry either uncompressed 2 channel PCM or compressed multichannel data (usually in the form of either DD/DTS).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.