AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information about the Winbook 37T1 37" LCD available at MicroCenter? I haven't been able to find much, but based on MC's website, it looks like it has slightly faster response time than the 37M1, but fewer inputs. Does anyone have any exact details, or even a review? Does the set do QAM, or just ATSC? What is the reliability and performance in general for Winbook LCDs? I know they are essentially a MicroCenter house brand, but if I can get equivalent performance to other low-end LCDs (Olevia, Sceptre, etc.) at slightly lower prices, I'm willing to take the risk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the 37T1. The manual section on specs says under "TV Function - Broadcasting System":

Digital: ATSC/Clear QAM

Also the installer of my cable system (a contractor) says that I should do a search on the cable signals directly and many HDTV stations will be found, I have not yet tried that but will.

-Alan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1CCE /forum/post/0

I just bought the 37T1. The manual section on specs says under "TV Function - Broadcasting System":

Digital: ATSC/Clear QAM

Also the installer of my cable system (a contractor) says that I should do a search on the cable signals directly and many HDTV stations will be found, I have not yet tried that but will.

-Alan

Post #13 in the link below indicates that the 37T1 tuner does NOT do QAM. This is kind of a deal-breaker for me. Can you do a scan and confirm one way or the other? Thanks!

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...highlight=37t1

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Can you do a scan and confirm one way or the other? Thanks!

I did a scan and came up with 360+ digital channels. Thus the QAM decoding DOES work fine on my Winbook 37T1 with manufacture date of November 2006. My cable system is RCN Cable. Price was $699.00 with no rebates to worry about at the Cambridge, MA store.

-Alan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1CCE /forum/post/0

I did a scan and came up with 360+ digital channels. Thus the QAM decoding DOES work fine on my Winbook 37T1 with manufacture date of November 2006. My cable system is RCN Cable.

-Alan

Thanks, W1CCE. That being the case, this set might be worth a gamble. I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have as to your thoughts on image quality, etc.

I went to play with the 32" version at my local MicroCenter (they did not have the 37" on display) and it seemed OK. I think the styling is actually pretty decent for a "bargain" brand, and the menu OSD seemed fairly polished.

(Edited to remove stale reference to a corrected typo).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did visit Microcenter with the intent on buying the 37T1 but after seeing it next to a 32" x32GZ-Komodo Sceptre (they didn't the 37" x37SV out for display yet), the Sceptre seemed to have a richer color while the Winbook seemed slightly washed out. I decided to hold out on the purchase and to go home and think/research a little more.

Of course this is while they are side by side. If I buy the Winbook, and don't have any side by side comparisons, I feel I would be content with the picture quality. (Considering the 37" Sceptre is another $100.)

My main concerns were with the richness of the color and sharpness of things in the background. The 32" Sceptre was noticeably better than the 37" Winbook in both areas, but I feel sharpness could have to do with the TV size difference.

Is it correct to assume a 32" LCD would be sharper than a 37" of the same brand and specs, or should they both just as sharp?

Just wanted to give you guys my first impressions of the 37T1. I'm coming close to the deadline of my decision. :p

Side note: I did adjust both TV's settings, to the best of my abilities, to get the best image on each set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed exactly the same thing about the Winbook on display. Then I looked at the detailed specifications and could not see where there would be any problem with the Winbook. So I just assumed it was the initial factory settings being somewhat different.

I now have the Winbook and it IS fully adjustable for sharpness etc and I am very happy with it. I see a much larger difference in the color of the various sources than in the set differences that I saw in the display models. I did make a change in the contrast to make it more to my liking.

In answer to your other question, yes the 32 inch display (of the same picture, say 780p) would be smaller in structure and thus be "sharper" but that is really an optical illusion. There IS an adjustment on sharpness of the picture on the 37T1 but I have not changed it from the factory settings...yet! Another of those things I'll eventually do.

-Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if I saw the same thing as everyone else when they compared the two. The Overland Park KS location has the 37T1 on display along with several other 37's. I have to say the blacks were darker than the others. I watched it for about 30 minutes on ESPN HD and compared it to some of the ones priced near or around it. It was definately better than most in its price range (within $100) in my opinion.

Talking with the sales rep, he mentioned that the 37T1 was their top seller in that size. I asked him since it was a house brand who made it for them. He wasn't sure but did know that the LCD was LG.

two things I really liked about it are that the inputs in the back point down making the cable running easier in my opinion and that the speakers along the bottom are removeable. I didnt take not of how they are wired though. but now I wonder if they could be used as the center channel for a surround sound. Just would make the look cleaner since I always struggle with where to mount the center channel with my setup.

I imagine I'll be purchasing one of these within the next 60 days. (tax return) ;-P

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the input mikey.

As far as the panel though, according the Official Winbook 32T Thread on AVS, it sounds to me like the sales rep don't really know what panel Winbook uses so they just say a good name to move units IMHO.

When I was asking about the 37" at Microcenter, I was told it was a Samsung panel. However, not knowing who actually makes the panel won't deter me from buying the TV. As long as it looks good inside a living room, which Iseems to be the general consensus, then I'm happy.

note: Would have made a link to the other forum but I can't until I've made 5 posts. Search for "Tatung" and the thread is called "Official Winbook 32T Thread."

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
the speakers along the bottom are removeable. I didnt take not of how they are wired though. but now I wonder if they could be used as the center channel for a surround sound. Just would make the look cleaner since I always struggle with where to mount the center channel with my setup.

Speakers are easily removable. Wires are also easily removed, there are two connectors for that purpose. They surely can be used for the center channel if you wish. Usually the center needs to have very good bass response whereas internal speakers don't usually have that. However on the 37T1 the bass response seems to be quite good.

-Alan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just picked it up and so far I am very happy with the purchase. I decided there wasn't enough differentiation among the "low-end" brands, and this was the least expensive option.

Does anyone have it wall mounted? If so, what kind of mount are you using? This is the first time I have put something this heavy on my wall and I'd rather not see it come crashing down. It looks like it has the 200mm x 100mm MIS-E VESA pattern of holes in the back, but from what I found online, it seems that the maximum screen size for that hole pattern is 31", and the max load is 50 lbs. Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, almost every mount I have seen has two vertical brackets that attach to the display and then hang onto another bracket that you install on the wall. This means that only 4 of the 6 mounting holes are actually being used. Is this safe? Those tiny M4 machine screws don't instill a lot of cinfidence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I just got my Winbook 37T1 two weeks ago also from Microcenter (Sta. Clara store). Picture and sound are pretty decent. I hooked up an old 6in subwoof and audio got a lot better. I'm just getting started to upgrade and learn all these AV tech stuffs.

My prob right now with this 37T1 is when I purchased a Toshiba SD-4990 Upconverting dvd player-- if I use an HDMI cable from Toshiba to Winbook and use a Toslink optical cable from Toshiba to my receiver (HK AVR120 has no HDMI input), I'm getting a lot of noise from Winbook built-in speaker. I have to mute Winbook so I can take advantage of better digital sound from optical--HK when watching DVD movies.

Looks like Winbook is unable to convert the incoming HDMI audio from Toshiba. And Winbook has no option to suppress/downstream-only external audio coming via HDMI (only allow video, not sure if this is possible).

I'm currently researching from this forum and other external sites on some workarounds.

One alternative I found is to use the Toshiba default of PCM audio, but the down side is I cannot get 5.1 surround sound. I have to use bitstream in my Toshiba audio to be able to get 5.1.

If you folks have any inputs, please pass. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Howdy all!

I'm also a proud owner of a Winbook 37T1. The price on this unit was great... it was $899 w/$100 mail in rebate. So, I bought it.... 3 weeks later, It was $699 no rebate. Microcenter gave me my price adjustment... but I've already sent in the rebate too! I might luck out with an overall price of $599!

At any rate, I'm running a MythFrontend on this TV thru the HDMI... and I was wondering if anyone had found a good modeline for 480i/480p images?

Here is the EDID data from the TV:

Code:
Code:
# EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "V37NCGE"
        VendorName "TAT"
        ModelName "V37NCGE"
        HorizSync 31-61
        VertRefresh 56-76
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 100 MHz
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

Mode    "1360x768"      # vfreq 59.960Hz, hfreq 47.368kHz
                DotClock        72.000000
                HTimings        1360 1408 1440 1520
                VTimings        768 771 776 790
                Flags   "-HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.