AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't seen this question before: my new theater is in a 2nd floor room that has windows about 18" off the floor. i was thinking of running my 12" riser all the way up to the window, but then the window would be about 6" off the floor.

obviously this will be weird, but is there possibly a building code issue about having windows only 6" off the floor?

otherwise i'll have a small area between the window and the riser that i'll probably make a habit of falling off my riser in to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have found the opposite to be true. For my windows in the basement, they either have to be close to the floor (impractical for most basements) or a step or some kind needs to be in the room under the window for egress.

6 inches might look a bit odd, but I doubt it violates code. Maybe a curtain from ceiling to the top of the riser would help with that?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the window is less than 18 inches from the floor, it may need to be tempered. You might be able to get an answer from a local HD or Lowes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, that makes sense. i'll call the building inspector.

but if anybody has any ideas for how they'd handle that small area between the riser and window, i'd love to hear them. i can just see a side table getting knocked off the riser every night.

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts