AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Gateway store and to take a look at their cheap plasma ($3000). I liked it, the color might not have been perfect, the blacks weren't dark, it is a "low end" plasma afterall. *But* I really liked it after I played with it (it = plasma + windows media center).

I think the real reason for satifaction was the fact that the plasma, of course, doubles as the computer monitor - RGB input (no overscan etc). It was NICE to see the media center interface at 800x600 (and/or higher), it looked really really nice. They didn't have the media center hooked up via composite, svideo, nor component (which I would have liked ot see, but I don't think the media center outputs component).

Of course the signal going into the mediacenter was from an antenna on the roof. The signal was pretty crappy and the compression was yucky on the plasma (when full screen). Windows media center was nice (and this if from a tivo guy).

How well would this setup work with a direct view set? Not a lot of direct views have rgb in. ..and when using a converter for rgb to component on direct views at certain res you get overscan. with media centers interface your wouldnt really notice, but if you dropped to windows then you would.

Why aren't direct views like computer monitors? I get no overscan there.

Does anyone have a WindowsMediaCenter pc? Any opinions on this + direct views?

I sure wish it supported hd cards (hipix etc).

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Gateway plasma has a native resolution of 852x480. A 34" 16:9 CRT is capable of resolving somewhere around 700x1000. (Yes, the vertical resolution is much better than horizontal.)

PowerStrip lets you adjust the timings of most video cards, so that you're not overscanning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.