AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking seriously about springing for a 78"*80" custom deluxe roll down window shade; matt white (but I will also examine light gray w white back before buying .

Its around $350 with valence and hardware; which I realize is about the same or more expensive than some manual screens. But I really like the pull down mechanism and custom sizing, and looks compared with screen alternatives. A manual screen will require reaching high to grab the pull or some of those ugly angle rods.

An electric screen will be much more expensive, especially if I have it wired to code by an electrician.

Any comments on going this route? It is for a Sharp A10X LCD projector. (I have been having some problems getting colors right with this projector so was also wondering what the effect of the gray would be on achieving good (calibrated?) colors.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
The only thing I have seen is some folks having problems with waves

and wrinkles developing with shades. That is a common complaint

with pull down screens also.

$350 bucks would be a tad much of a gamble for me.

There are cheap matte white screens that can be had. I chose

the draper V Screen because at $46 (60"x60") it was in the same price

range as a DIY project gone bad. Plus a fixed screen wasn't going

to cut it with my room layout.

b2b

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife won't put up with reaching up for a pull down screen nor the manual crank type of manual. The reason for thinking the shade is the relatively easy roller mechanism with chain for raising an lowering plus the overall look with a valence. There is a very fine texture in the heavy vinyl I was looking at which should also go a long way towards avoiding waves and wrinkles

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There are pull-downs that work just like a window-shade. And, they come with black borders -- making a better looking finished project.

You could attach a chain/screen to avoid reaching up to pull it down. And, you'd have a better selection of materials.

I suspect that the roller on a projector screen is a bigger diameter as well. And, this would help avoid curling, waves, etc.

Finally, since you can buy one of these pull-downs and a valance for about the same money, I can't see the advantage you claim.

Maybe I'm missing something.

gp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.