AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setup is:

Windows 10 PC + nVidia GPU ----> (HDMI) ---> soundbar (samsung k950) ----> (HDMI/ARC) ----> LG 4K TV

My soundbar supports Dolby Atmos. I've installed Win 10 creative update, Dolby Access software, set up "Dolby Atmos for home theater" and everything worked for a while.

But one day I've noticed that it switched back to stereo. And then I realiazed that there's no more "Dolby Atmos for home theater" output option. I didn't change the setup. I blame some windows or drivers auto-update. I can't say exactly when it happened because I've been not using it for ~2 weeks. And then just realized that it doesn't work.

The supported audio formats are:

As you can see, there's "Dolby True HD" supported (that means Dolby Atmos).

But when I enter "speaker configuration", I see only "stereo".

Also, there's no "Dolby Atmos for home theater" in the "Spatial sound" tab. (There was one before!!)

I've tried to re-install nVidia drivers as well as Dolby Access software. Nothing. Does anybody have a solution? I don't want to re-install the whole OS or roll it back to some point month ago. I want to play games with a surround sound on my $1200 soundbar ;(

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in the same boat. The only difference with OP is I use a projector instead of LG TV. But I got K950 recently like 2 weeks ago and I was never able to enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater in the first place. Never. So anyone has solutions to this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
did you figure out why it stopped working?

I have my PC (NVIDIA TITAN X PASCAL) -> Yamaha RX-A3070 -> LG C7

It was working a few weeks ago, and now every time I try to enable it. It say Format not supported.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the exact same problem about 10-12 days ago and reinstalling nvidia driver / resetting the AVR / re-seating the HDMI cable etc. didn't help. Gave up and reinstalled Windows 10 and both Kodi and mpc-hc started bit-streaming DTS-HD / Atmos. Until today.

Today I have the same problem (plain old DTS and Dolby works). Tried system restore but that failed. Don't want to go through another round of OS installation :( There has been no Windows update since 12/23 so update doesn't seem to be the issue either

My setup: i5-6500 / GTX 1050 TI (385.41/69) / Denon X4100w

Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In case someone else faces a similar issue and has a similar setup as mine, here is a workaround without reinstalling W10. I am still not sure what caused it and the fix is probably not a permanent one but seems to be working in my specific use case, for now.

My 1050's Display Port out is connected to E6 directly with DP-toHDMI cable and the HDMI port to connect to X4100w, which is also connected to E6's HDMI ARC port. This is so that HDR works with mavr on the direct port and HD audio for the AVR. I had made the direct DP port primary and HDMI secondary (just so that the AVR is visible to the graphics card and shows up as an audio device). My XB1S is also connected to the AVR.

While troubleshooting today I noticed if the video is played through the AVR, DTS-HD and Atmos get recognized and plays as before. So, I made the HDMI out of the 1050 primary and have Kodi run on the secondary (DP) and it seems to be working fine. Not ideal but it is a workaround that seems to be working for my case. Also noticed if I make DP again primary, it works for a while but again stops at some point forcing me to switch primary and secondary again.

I probably have to get a new AVR anyway so that I can play UHD BDs (as well as Kodi, which is available in alpha form) on my XB1S and get both HDR and HD audio and retire my HTPC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I seem to have the same issue. Things seemed to be working up until today when I bought the dolby atmos for headphones option. Previous to that, my Spatial setting for Atmos Home theater was selected and was able to play music with no problems. After installing DA for HP the app kept saying I wasn't setup and would bounce to DA for HT. Reset my computer and DA for HP was selectable and worked. However when I tried to go back to home theater it kept giving me an error message. Another reset with no ability to select home theater although it is still a selectable option, just errors out and returns to stereo only. Even tried to reconfigure the speaker settings and it still wouldn't work. After messing with this for a while I decided to try to play dolby access clips without the headphones connected, while keeping Dolby atmos for headphones as the spatial setting. Works fine. My Yamaha rxa3060 shows dolby atmos as the surround decoder and sounds the same as before, and all the individual channel lights come on too. So it doesn't seem to change the sound levels or dynamics with DA for HP selected when playing standard HT . When I plug the headphones in during a clip, I don't see the dolby atmos being shown anymore, but it definitely is working, whether I select a surround decoder setting or just run it in pure direct mode (shows Dolby Digital Plus when headphones are plugged in, then Atmos when I unplug them). It is slightly more bass heavy though the hp with the surround decoder activated than pure direct mode, but that's normal for my setup anyway.

Bottom line is just leave the spatial sound setting on Atmos for Headphones and it seems to behave. At least that's my experience tonight. That could change tomorrow. Now if you don't have Atmos for HP then I don't know what the problem is. Probably something with the app itself. If I see a change I'll report it. I'll also run my xbox one x dolby app and compare it too.

Doug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone who bought it having trouble? Mine (now): I activate Dolby Atmos for Headphones and a MS Store window for Atmos pops up. I have an option-->Launch. I do, it goes into some other Atmos BS windows. Still can't activate Atmos (even though I bought rights to use it). :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My setup is:

Windows 10 PC + nVidia GPU ----> (HDMI) ---> soundbar (samsung k950) ----> (HDMI/ARC) ----> LG 4K TV

My soundbar supports Dolby Atmos. I've installed Win 10 creative update, Dolby Access software, set up "Dolby Atmos for home theater" and everything worked for a while.

But one day I've noticed that it switched back to stereo. And then I realiazed that there's no more "Dolby Atmos for home theater" output option. I didn't change the setup. I blame some windows or drivers auto-update. I can't say exactly when it happened because I've been not using it for ~2 weeks. And then just realized that it doesn't work.

The supported audio formats are:

As you can see, there's "Dolby True HD" supported (that means Dolby Atmos).

But when I enter "speaker configuration", I see only "stereo".

Also, there's no "Dolby Atmos for home theater" in the "Spatial sound" tab. (There was one before!!)

I've tried to re-install nVidia drivers as well as Dolby Access software. Nothing. Does anybody have a solution? I don't want to re-install the whole OS or roll it back to some point month ago. I want to play games with a surround sound on my $1200 soundbar ;(
I know this post is old, but I recently had the problem and found a solution.

The problem -in my case- was solved with 3rd HMDI cable.
1st from pc to the amp.
2nd from the amp to the tv.
3rd (!) directly from the pc to the tv.

I don't know WHY this fixed everything for me, but it did. Maybe b cause the amp (Onkyo) router the signal directly to the tv and then back via ARC.
I hope people who are struggling can read this.
I also hope you got it working.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this post is old, but I recently had the problem and found a solution.

The problem -in my case- was solved with 3rd HMDI cable.
1st from pc to the amp.
2nd from the amp to the tv.
3rd (!) directly from the pc to the tv.

I don't know WHY this fixed everything for me, but it did. Maybe b cause the amp (Onkyo) router the signal directly to the tv and then back via ARC.
I hope people who are struggling can read this.
I also hope you got it working.
I don't recommend this. Routing the signal directly to the display and then back via ARC effectively bypasses the AVR. Ideally, you'd want to bitstream the signal to the AVR for processing - not the TV as otherwise you would rely on the very limited Windows settings for audio playback.

Besides, most GPUs don't have more than one HDMI output.

I think this issue has long been fixed with driver updates anyway or else we would've seen a thread revival.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't recommend this. Routing the signal directly to the display and then back via ARC effectively bypasses the AVR. Ideally, you'd want to bitstream the signal to the AVR for processing - not the TV as otherwise you would rely on the very limited Windows settings for audio playback.

Besides, most GPUs don't have more than one HDMI output.

I think this issue has long been fixed with driver updates anyway or else we would've seen a thread revival.
That's not how I do it. I set the tv to use the input from the AV..
I think it might have something to do with the Soon Atmos program not recognizing that it's conected to the AV when the AV routs te signal to the tv - because the TV is not Atmos for Home theater compatible.

So I don't use arc in that setup and it works.

Thanks for your feedback, though, because now it's clearer what I meant.

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its far more likely the root cause of this was Windows 10 builds itself, there has been allot of patching since 2018. Sometimes I find if I update the firmware in my soundbar or whatever I have to tell Windows 10 that I want Atmos again, but I dont loose the setting for no reason and in modern Windows 10 builds, it seems fine.

Also, dont discount corruption of Windows core files, "sfc /scannow" and DISM are your friends for checking Windows health and repairing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts