AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not know win2k did not support AC-3 without exotic hacks. Also windvd tells me DMA mode is not enabled and playback is accordingly choppy. I don't even see the option for that on the DVD rom properties as you do in w98. I am afraid this was a big waste of time and I will go back to 98 or ME. I thought this would be real stable and trouble free and I have wasted a day playing around with it. Anyone have an opinion on w2k and DVD playback? Is there something other than the DVDgenie tweaks to get AC-3 and where is the DMA enable check boxes? Thanx

·
Registered
497 Posts
The DMA enable check boxes are in Control Panel >System > Hardware (Tab) > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Primary/ Secondary IDE Channel Properties > Advanced Settings (Tab) = Select DMA if available .. voila

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Nelman:

___I do not know how you could have run into this upgrade blindly without skipping some very important posts on this topic here in the AVScience HT Computer forum. Now that you have upgraded (I am assuming you did not setup a dual boot …), you should really try to work through the growing pains. There is definitely a steep learning curve in regards to this OS but once you have it mastered, you will never go back to any of the MS consumer based OS’s unless you are using an ATI Radeon unfortunately. Keep asking the questions as they come up and you should be on your feet within a few days or so. DF has given you one of many different techniques to set up this OS properly already. Make sure you have a copy of SP2 Final as well as the latest Windows 2000 drivers for all your HW or you may never achieve what you want depending on your HW of course.

___As far as AC-3 Pass-thru/DTS and Custom T&R’s are concerned; they are available under a variety of recommended HW as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xcel,DF

Thanx for your input, I will try your suggestions. I did run into this upgrade without researching the forum and that was a mistake. I have been putting together and configuring computers for years and I must say this OS had me frustrated. Where do I find SP2 final and what is it? By the way I am running a Radion card, what is the downside that you mentioned? Custum T&R's cannot be done and I am aware of that if that's it. Thanx again

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Nelman:

___SP’s are called Service Packs. They are a package of bug fixes that MS places on their servers for all of us to upgrade our MS OS’s or MS applications for security, compatibility, latest chipsets, latest drivers, and in our case, AC-3 pass-thru and DTS capability. SP2 beta and or final are needed to achieve AC-3 and DTS as a minimum depending on your SC, SC drivers used, and SW player of choice. There are hacks for non-SP updated OS’s using the Creative cards as well. I am not on currently on my home HTPC but the Windows 2000 3102’s ATI Radeon drivers offer Custom T&R capability. This is a must in my case. The only real problem I have with the Radeon under Windows 2000 is its very slow gaming performance and more importantly in regards to this forum is that while using the ATI player, I see very harsh artifacts in shadows and reflections. Dropping the Gamma down 2 notches helps but than the overlay is to dark. Using WinDVD 2000 cures this problem completely so that is what I use.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wayne,

Just to be clear before I go ahead and upgrade:

If I use Win2k SP2, with a Radeon and WinDVD, I can get Custom T&R's, AC-3 and DTS (I have an AP 24/96 which I understand doesn't require SP2 for this anyhow), AND good DVD playback?

Thanks,

------------------

-Mark

------------------------

-- Yes I'm an addict. --

-- I bought a Color --

-- Analyzer for --

-- 'personal use' --

------------------------

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Wayne, I read both your posts above and I want clarification. I use Win2000 with the ATI Radeon and it appears fine. I do NO gaming whatsoever. Am I correct in interpteting that this is the only problem...games? Everything is OK for DVD playback through WinDVD2000 and the like? Thanks.

------------------

Thanks a million...in advance!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all the input..I have got the DMA enabled but face 2 problems.

1. After installing Win2K SP2, I still cannot get AC-3 pass-thru from my Fortissimo SC. Pro-logic only and I have enabled all the usual stuff in DVD genie, etc. All 2K drivers are installed for my Radeon and my SC.

2.Also, my ATI player will black-out the screen when it starts..I get sound but I have to reset computer. Yes, direct show filters are unregistered. I ran all this stuff just fine under W98 and I want to make it work under W2K. AC-3 out of my Guillemot Fortissimo is the main thing. HELP!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
On the subject of Win2K-equipped machines, I finally got my T-Bird 1.1Ghz (Asus A7A 266 with 256mb DDR) HTPC fired up last night, and connected to the VGA port on the back of my widescreen. The image was on a par with my 5109 progressive-scan standalone player, but I did notice it was dropping frames. Any suggested tweaks? The equipment is as follows:

AMD T-Bird 1.1Ghz

Asus A7A 266 mobo

256mb DDR memory

Toshiba M1502 16X DVD-ROM (DMA enabled)

ATI Radeon LE 32mb DDR

Thanks, RD

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Mark, Jay, Nelman, and RD:

___Mark, yes you will have the ability to output Custom T&R’s as well as AC-3 and DTS as long as you are using the proper drivers for the cards. For your Radeon, the Windows 2000 3102’s worked for me. 3116 and 3124’s for the Radeon were buggy so I removed them quite some time ago. As for the later drivers, I have passed on them. From my reads over at Rage3D, ATI is missing the performance target by quite a ways with this OS. For DD/DTS, you will definitely need SP2 beta/SP2 final as well as the M-Audio Windows 2000 WDM drivers. I receive great DVD playback using the above combination but I strictly use WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4 for non-testing/normal enjoyment SW DVD playback.

___Jay, you are correct except for the way the ATI player works under Windows 2000 itself. If you move the Gamma up even one notch, I see pixel breakup in shadows and dark transitions. If I drop the gamma a bit, the picture is to dark even after bringing up the B/C levels a notch or two.

___Nelman, the Guillemot Fortissimo was a card that I believe never had AC-3 pass-thru/DTS capability under Windows 2000 SP2 beta/final or none. You can search the forum for others with the Fortissimo but the drivers have to work in conjunction with the OS. I have never read of any successes with it under Windows 2000 is all.

___RD: I only recently figured out how the VIA KT133A chipsets slots and irq’s work in combination for audio stutter free playback with Millennium/98 SE in conjunction with M-Audio/Live Value Combinations while using any of the latest SW DVD players. Now with SP2 final and the 4-in-1 4.31’s for IDE transfer fixes in particular, maybe I can achieve the same with the A7V133 under Windows 2000 but I have not been home in a while so those tests will have to come later on this month. Windows 2000 loves to shove everything under a single IRQ if possible so ACPI being disabled should help in the case of Win2K but again, I am not at home to verify this just yet. As for the ALiMAGiK 1 chipsets, I do not have any comment given the nightmares the early adopters of the Super7 chipsets went through with the Ali chipsets many years ago … I can only wish you the best but the ACPI and irq sharing tips above probably apply equally to this chipset as they do with the VIA’s.

___Before anyone heads off and installs Windows 2000 blindly, make sure you read up on this great OS for some of the caveats before rushing in. Believe me, when Win2K goes down, it can really go down hard. A quick look at VIA Hardware for the VIA chipset owners will help them quite a bit when installing this OS. A general Windows 2000 page I like to visit 2 to 3 times a week is NT Compatible . It is just one of many Windows NT/2000/XP pages I visit for news, performance, and tweaking tips. It is also written with a lot more thought to the enthusiast (read as more fun) than some of the real dry Windows 2000 pages available on the web. Another item to think about and I highly recommend this for a new Windows NT/2000 user is to dual boot. If something goes haywire on a driver install or SP update, simply reboot to Millennium or 98 SE and hopefully … you will get back to a desktop that will not only give you great DVD playback that we have all come to enjoy but can get you back on the web to find out what happened on that last entry into Windows 2000.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys

I had Win2K fully operational except for the lack of AC-3 on my fortissimo SC. I am re-installing win98 for now due to that situation. If I can find a reasonable Sound Card with OPTICAL out (not coaxial, that's important) that will pass AC-3 in win 2k, I will re-install W2K via a multiple boot platform. I think it will be a great HT launching pad once I have the proper HW to make it work right. Thanx to all for your suggestions. What a great place this is to exchange information!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi All,

I have tried using WinDVD 2.3 with Win2K SP2 and it is always choppy. Under Win98SE on the same machine (dual boot) it runs fine. It seems that dTV (DScaler) also runs abit more choppy and eats more resource time under Win2K. I am also unable to get AC3 pass thru on SPDIF.

I am using a GeForce 2 MX card and a Turtle Beach Quadzilla sound card (aureal). Does anyone know if there are any specific driver problems I might be having? Or is it just a problem that Win2K is not as good for multimedia programs like these? Thanks.

-Gergg

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gergg:

___This sounds more like a driver issue than Windows 2000 having trouble with multimedia playback since there are many of us that use Windows 2000 as a primary OS for both std. PC performance use as well as Multimedia playback. The Aureal based cards and Win2K drivers for those cards in particular are more than likely the culprits. Aureal driver updates are gong to be non-existent since its was dissolved and the remnants taken over by Creative. It is really to bad because the Aureal cards had a lot of promise in there day for both Gamers and HTPC users as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I tried using WinDVD 2.3 with YxY under Win2000 last night, and the results were poor. System hardware consisted of an Asus A7A 266 with 1.1Ghz T-Bird, 256mb DDR, Toshiba 1502 16X DVD-ROM, and Radeon LE. Drivers and system tray applications are kept to a minimum; yes, DMA is enabled for both HD and DVD-ROM.

As this is a dual-boot machine, I'm going to go back to concentrating on the WinMe partition.

RD

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gergg:

You may want to try turning off HWMC under WinDVD. When this is turned "on" with GeForce-based graphics chips, this will cause choppy playback in 75% of all cases (assuming you are already using a 500 MHz+ CPU, and latest chipset drivers & BIOS definitions).

Nelman:

WinDVD 2.x versions may sometime wrongly state that DMA is not turned on. If this is already showing under CD properties (under the Device Manager) as being enabled, and playback is smooth otherwise, this is a misinterpretation within WinDVD. You can disable this annoying pop-up by disabling via the checkbox during start-up, and get rid of this permanently.

------------------

Drake

--------------

"The world is not upside-down, but inside-out".

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, I guess I can accept that the Win2K aureal drivers may not exist to give me AC3. However, I do not think that the sound drivers are causing the slow playback problem. As far as HWMC goes, I tried that and every other option, including DVDGenie. The way it is acting is like something is eating processor cycles every few seconds, but I checked and shut down every unneccesary process and still get the same thing. Anybody using a GeForce 2 MX card working well under Win2K with SP2? If so, what drivers are you using?

-Gergg

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gergg:

___Is your Task Manager showing a high CPU utilization rate? How about the processes that are running? Anything look out of the ordinary here?

___As far as smooth playback using an MX, I have not done this exactly but have ran many ELSA GeForce2 GTS’ using the 7.52 and 7.58 beta Windows 2000 drivers with great success. I do not understand where the poor video playback would come from given the MX’s are decent performers under any of the MS OS’s. Pull the sound card and run the SW DVD player again. This will more than likely tell you if the SC drivers are the culprit or not.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I got to the bottom of the problem - the Radeon LE graphics card. The lousy playback had shown up on my stripped-down T-Bird 1.1Ghz with 256mb DDR; on my Duron 700Mhz with GeForce2 GTS, playback was excellent, despite half-a-dozen apps running in the system tray, including MS SQL Server 7.0! Strangely enough, the WinDVD 2.3 player ran poorly under WinMe; I hope I can get the sound going under Win2K when I get the card next week.

The Radeon LE has proven to be a very frustrating card to work with - after I decided to swap it for the GeForce2, a screw on the Radeon's front-bottom-edge bumped into a cable socket on the A7A 266 mobo with onboard sound, prevented it from seating properly; I had to swap the mobo with the no-sound version. Aargh! Owell, it might be worth it; the two test discs I ran on my widescreen scaled very nicely with WinDVD and YxY. Thanks to the dude who wrote the latter!

RD

·
Registered
907 Posts
No processes out of the ordinary. In fact, like I mentioned, I killed all I could. The CPU utilization does spike with both dTV and WinDVD. The Overlay with WinDVD sometimes locks up altogether and sometimes jumps around.

I do not use the sound at all in dTV and I still think that the CPU usage is much higher with dTV in Win2K than in Win98SE.

I believe I am using 6.15 drivers. Should I re-install DirectX or something? Could it have to with SP2? Any help would be appreciated.

-Gergg

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gergg:

___I do not remember the 6.15’s being an official Nvidia release but the 6.18’s, 6.31’s, and 6.50’s were/are. The 7.52’s and 7.58 beta’s were needed for custom T&R’s under Windows 2000 and worked very well for both performance and Custom T&R’s under Windows 2000. I believe the 12.1 beta also work but I have not used them myself. I would try the driver upgrade first. You can find the beta’s from various sites on the web including Reactor Critical’s download page when it is up and available.

___As for DirectX, I am using 8.0a under Windows 2000.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.