AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed (and possible warning for Win2k sp2 users).

My HTPC was running well with win2k SP2 beta.

In order to install the SP2 release version I went to the control panel to uninstall the SP2 beta. When the system rebooted it wouldn't let me log on saying "the domain HTPC is not available" - but I have no domain!!

In detail the machine was setup in a WORKGROUP called HOME with the machine name as HTPC. It was set not to request the logon but to log straight into Administrator on booting. Somehow it thinks it's become a member of a domain!! With no suitable domain controller I now can't log on which to say the least is a big disaster.

Back in the old days of NT4 the login box used to give you a choice of domains to logon to one of which was the local machine name. Provided you knew the local admin password you could always log on to the local machine.

Any combination of ID/password brings up the "can't logon because domain is not available". If I try to qualify the ID with "\\HTPC\\Administrator" I get a different message of the form "the system cannot log you on make sure your user name and domain are correct".

Is there any way out of this very deep hole I'm as I recently built this machine and there is a lot of man hours invested it?

Any win2k gurus out there?

Thanks,

------------------

Ian McGillivray

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hooo Boy. It sure is a disaster. Cracking Windows Security is next to impossible.

You may have better luck by checking the news groups:

news.microsoft.com

microsoft.public.win2000.setup for example.

I took a quick peek at search.support.microsoft.com (which you should do if you can) and I did not see anything that jumped out at me to help you.

Basically, it now thinks that you are trying to connect to a Windows 2000 Server. In a Server domain, is where usernames and passwords are kept. Not in the list on the server? No entry. I am assuming you have tried "Administrator" and "Guest".

I know what I would try to do, but I am not sure it would work and I don't want to have you doing a bunch of time consuming frustrating things that in the end don't work.

I think that the hardest part here is knowing when to quit and just do a fresh install. Try setting yourself some type of time limit before you start working on it. You can spend days of fruitless work trying to fix something like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I boot to the recovery console the admin password still works so I can get to a command prompt which means its not all dead. At least from there I can make a second copy of my data and go for a reinstall but I'd quite like to get a copy off before reinstalling.

In the old days even if the domain server was down you could still get on your own machine!

------------------

Ian McGillivray

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah, well those were the old days. Before Kerbos and all that crap. There is a reason that it passes the Fed test for classified info.

If you can do this, try it:

Boot from the CD. Pretend that you are going to install a new copy. The License Agreement will pop up. Then it will search for existing copies and should find the one you have. Then use the R key. Eventually it will reboot and ask for a serial number.

Do not just run to the R key straight off because it won't help you. Quicker, does not ask for a serial number and won't help you. Do it the way I said.

This is where I would start if it were me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seeing as how I know next to nothing about W2k, I should probably keep my mouth shut. But if it were a Mac, I would simply install a System on a seperate drive, or boot off of a CD-ROM. Mount the drive in question and make the necissary modifications.

The same should be possible with windows. I switch between W2k and Win 98 (on 2nd Drive), and all of the contents of my W2k volume are there for me to modify.

However, if you formatted your drive as NTFS, you are probably stuck.

Like I said, I'm no windows expert (Mac expert, yes). So maybe I'm off in left field here.

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
>>I switch between W2k and Win 98 (on 2nd Drive), and all of the contents of my W2k volume are there for me to modify.<<

I have a second copy installed myself. I can fix a lot of things that way, such as really bad driver trouble. But Windows Security is encrypted and how you gonna fix that from outside looking in? Just delete a file? I don't think so . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Folks,

Nope ! Non of these works !

A "Domain" under W2K is the Primary Domain Controler.

This is the place, where all the users are stored, ist called "ACL" (Access condition list").

Windows 2K treads the ACL per domain, so its stored under the domain.

The specially Logon-Error means, that the domain controller is fuc...up...

You have no chance with the "R" Option from the new Setup, also a "Mac-Like"-Restauration isnt possible, win2K has special netloaders on drive c, you cant wipe an old installation over the new.

You only can do this if you have an IMAGE! from your old system partition and NO! ntfs drive... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

If you have an emergency repair disk, you can help yourself. do the install, type "R" for repair and say "I have a Repair disk".

If you do NOT have this disk, grab your W2K Disk and start all over again... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Hint: Rename your Program Folder (if you have NON NTFS Partion) from the command prompt (Boot with W98 CD) to PROG.old, so you wont have a programm folder mixed with new and old files, cause MICROSOFT SHARED goes also in this folder....and then you might have DAO (Data Acess Obejct, ODBC etc) Problems !

Also, you can use the old Prg Folder as a template to reinstall.

After installing all the proggies new, you copy all programms from the old prg folder in the new one (Replace ?--> YES) to kepp profiles (Adobe etc.) and personally inis etc.

Another hint:

Dont erase the old WIndows Folder and the old DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS-Folder !!

Rename it ! (If you have no NTFS.. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Why ?

In these Folder are your Favorites, Shortcuts, Desktop settings, Startmenu, Cookies etc.

You can simply copy them to your new folders after reinstalling Windows.

So your work will be minimized !

Dont ask me, why know all of this http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Or in other words: I DO HAVE an emergency disk...since the last time... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Sorry for bad english, iam german...and ill keep staying german http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

You should be finished in 4 hours !

Richard

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcg:

Is there any way out of this very deep hole I'm as I recently built this machine and there is a lot of man hours invested it?

Any win2k gurus out there?
I cannot really say if this will work with win2k, but it have saved my day on different NT4 installations. The sollution is to boot with a linux floppy and modify some security files on the NTFS partition. There is an automated sollution based on this technique here; http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ .

Use it on your own risk, and please read the documentation very carefully to ensure it really doesn't damage your win2k partition.

Even more information here; http://www.lostpassword.com/.

------------------

-Torgeir

[This message has been edited by pivot (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news folks.

e vey was right. Although the short cut R for recover from CD doesn't work the full version did eventually (crashed a few times until I pulled the hardware). Somehow it has now realised that it never was a member of a Domain (other than itself) and can now access the local login info.

It's back to life and will be back in business once all the cards and cables are back in.

Beta Service Packs - you've been warned...

Thanks again all.

------------------

Ian McGillivray

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah, well you got lucky. I really didn't know if it would work or not.

Don't rely on luck anymore and do what Richard from Germany said. Make an ERD as soon as things are back to normal.

You do realize that you will have to reinstall IE5.5 (if you were using it), SP1, DX8a and all other patches now?

If not, do not rely on Windows Update to tell you what you need, look over the list of what you have already installed and work from that. One of the things that doesn't get overwritten is the Windows Update catalog.

[This message has been edited by e vey (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
266 Posts
If an ERD is the first step what else would people recommend to save a knackered installation on a NTFS partition i.e. drive image etc..

Thanks.

Martin

This is talking about purely preemptive measures

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
There is no free lunch, if you make an ERD and throw in the desk, it has a completely unlocked version of the registery including the security hive, so its basically a free entre into your system to anyone who cares to use it. That's not an issue for most folks who have a pretty insecure system anyway, but its something that people should know.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry I didn't read your post earlier.... The same thing happened to me a while ago. In this case the most likely cause of the problem was you originally only had 40-bit encryption. When you installed sp2 (beta or otherwise) it upgraded your crytpo libs to 128-bit. That upgrade is a oneway thing and is impossible to go back on. Unfortunately the sp uninstall isn't smart enough to know that so it replaced your crypto files with the old 40-bit ones. Causing you to not be able to log in. You can find exact information about the problem at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q244/6/71.asp

Next time you have a problem try searching the MS knowledge base.

-apnar

[This message has been edited by apnar (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Glad you got your system running Ian. I've also installed SP2 on my testbed, but not main Win2000 installation. Like others have mentioned, knowing you have a reliable backup will reduce the amount of mm of your systolic BP.

It takes me 17 min to install a Win2000 installation. The testbed also serves as an off-drive backup point. From here I backup the critical operation files of my main Win2000 installation. Microsoft Backup will work fine. I back up "ARCLDR.EXE,ARCSETUP.EXE,BOOT.INI,NTDETECT.COM,NTLDR" from the root directory. Included subfolders are DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS,PROGRAM FILES,WINNT. All this is backed up to one file on my hard drive. If its larger than 650Mb, I use Winrar to split it into parts and burn the Winrar archive and Winrar program itself to CD-R's. If the main installation gets scrambled, to the testbed, unrar some CD-R's and back in buisness.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Apnar:

After reading the "fix" from MS, Ian was probably better off doing it the way he did it. Far less painless.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Having a second bare installation available is certainly handy. If you can get to the file system, you can replace one file and have access to the system without a password.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.