AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a machine running Windows 2003. It is the Exchange Server on my home network. It's also a music and file server, supplying music to both an Audiotron and Rio Receiver in various parts of the house.

I'm thinking now I need an HTPC with DVB and HDTV tuner cards. Since I don't really want to have to boot up the computer just to watch TV, I was thinking maybe I could move the Win2003 machine into the HT room and make it into an HTPC since it's already up 24/7.

I have nothing against building a dedicated PC to drive the HT, I was just thinking this way I only have one machine sucking parasitic power 24/7 rather than 2.

Is this a good idea, or will I suffer incompatibilities and headaches trying to make 2003 into an HTPC? I already had a whole bunch of headaches getting Audiotron to work with Win 2003 security... but I eventually got that all sorted out!

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
It hard to say if you will run into problems or not. I haven't seen much discussion concerning HDTV hardware compatability and WIN2003.

·
Registered
229 Posts
if it work on XP then it should work on 2003. You just need to enable all the multimedia (directx, vid acceleration, services, and etc) and take the OS out of the lockdown stage to avoid permission problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently trying to get a MyHD MDP-100 working under Windows 2003 Server with no luck. I installed v1.61 drivers and application and I can scan for the local stations with no trouble but whenever I try to tune a station my computer reboots.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just set this up today. The MyHD seemed to work fine with tuning channels, although I only tried digital channels. The overlay didn't work, I think due to the hardware acceleration/etc.

_Alan

·
Registered
779 Posts
My main server runs 2003.

Every so often, I find applications that will not load on 2003 even in compatability mode(anti-virus software and utilities seem to be the worst). I've also had some driver issues - I still can't get the XP drivers for the c-media motherboard sound to work.

The memory footprint is significantly larger due to the number of services enabled as default. With that said, it's a mighty stable OS, which I only restart when it has OS updates, which seems to be often ....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Properly configured (most services turned off – do a search on the net to find out more eg “server 2003 workstation†on Google) Windows Server 2003 runs better (faster etc) than Windows XP. I had it running for about 2 weeks and it was just amazing unfortunately it did have problems with some of the DivX codecs and I had to reinstall Windows XP.

Cheers

·
Registered
548 Posts
I run 2000 and 2003 server both in a corporate environment and in my opinion 2003 is a lot more stable than 2000 is and that's before any service packs. A couple of little things are different with it but I don't think you'll have any problems, save driver compatibility, with 2003.

I also use 2003 as my file server and terminal server for my HTPC and no problems there as well.

Try it out and see how you like it..

Josh

·
Registered
36 Posts
perhaps i'll have to give it a shot. i will say though that 2K server has been bullet proof for me. i use it for my web server, file server, and mail server and haven't had to restart that thing other than for service packs. does it get any more stable?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Exchange is a resource intensive and hungry application. It consistently is doing things in the background, including defragmenting it's databases, culling indexes, and myriads of other secret-squirrel Exchange type things.

Running ANYTHING other than Exchange on an Exchange server is like trying to make a dump truck pull a 10sec 1/4 mile at the flats...heh.

Really and truly -- you'll be running into situations where you will have a movie playing - and then it may just STOP dead in it's tracks because Exchange and it's little processes hogs have started up on some task or scheduled system thing-a-do-bob, and you'll just start going nuts trying to troubleshoot it.

If I were you, and you REALLY WANTED to try this, (you're crazy, but ok here goes):

- Make a BAT file on the desktop that literally goes through and stops all exchange services (this is a time consuming chore getting the batch file to work right but once it's done you'll just love the results)

This way, when you want to watch mutlimedia, you stop the exchange server from doing what it does, and put it to sleep.

Last but not least, please remember, SERVERS are meant to do server things, not client-in-the desktop running things. In fact, their performance is preoptimized for background tasks (read: services/daemons).

Good luck.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.