AVS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking /forum/post/16935016

are them codecs for download x64 or x86 ? ...

If you mean FFDShow and MPCHC etc.. you can get both formats.

I couldn't register both x64 and x86 codecs on the same machine but that was down to a dodgey build of win7, you can run both sets if you wish and mix players but i prefer to use 64bit only for win7 x64, especially as MC is x64!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will it work with mediaportal? I'm thinking to upgrade vista to win7 64, wondering beside Haali Media Splitter, what else do I have to install to watch mkv with subtitle

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/16904354

There is a pretty noticeable image quality difference. This past weekend I tried the built in codec and then manually got the MPC-HC AVC filter and registered it and set it as system default. You could definitely see the difference, in favor the the MPC filter.

I was using W7 Media Center for playback.

Where do you get MPC-HC avc filter and how do you register it and set it as system default?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania /forum/post/16935893

Where do you get MPC-HC avc filter and how do you register it and set it as system default?

The latest version:

standalone_filters-svn1179_x86 2009-07-22 21:26:20 2.99 Mb

Copy and paste MPCVideoDec.ax (MPC Video Decoder) to a folder (say, C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\MPC Video Decoder, or whatever). If you don't like command line, copy and paste the following to notepad and save it as "install.bat" in the same folder and double click it. Then you can use it with a DirectShow media player.

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe MPCVideoDec.ax
To unregister it, use

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe -u MPCVideoDec.ax

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- /forum/post/16935625

If you mean FFDShow and MPCHC etc.. you can get both formats.

I couldn't register both x64 and x86 codecs on the same machine but that was down to a dodgey build of win7, you can run both sets if you wish and mix players but i prefer to use 64bit only for win7 x64, especially as MC is x64!

oops sorry

actually, i was inquiring crkpot's link for the latest "msmpeg2vdec" decoder filters...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking /forum/post/16938257

oops sorry

actually, i was inquiring crkpot's link for the latest "msmpeg2vdec" decoder filters...

Oops, I should have said, it's from x64.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16937792

The latest version:

standalone_filters-svn1179_x86 2009-07-22 21:26:20 2.99 Mb

Copy and paste MPCVideoDec.ax (MPC Video Decoder) to a folder (say, C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\MPC Video Decoder, or whatever). If you don't like command line, copy and paste the following to notepad and save it as "install.bat" in the same folder and double click it. Then you can use it with a DirectShow media player.

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe MPCVideoDec.ax
To unregister it, use

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe -u MPCVideoDec.ax

But if you do that, you still have to set it as the default decoder don't you?
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/prefe...windows-7.html

Really no reason to use MPCVideoDec though, that's the point of this thread.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/16939429

But if you do that, you still have to set it as the default decoder don't you?
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/prefe...windows-7.html

Really no reason to use MPCVideoDec though, that's the point of this thread.

If you use the Windows MC internal player, then yes, registering the decoder is necessary, but not sufficient. If you use a customizable DirectShow media player such as MPC HomeCinema (you even don't need to register it obviously), MediaPortal internal player, J.River Media Center 13, Zoom Player, then you don't need Win7DSFilterTweaker at all.

I still see occasional black screen at FF that I never see with MPC Video Decoder.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If ripping blu-ray movies (movie only + hd audio track) to single .m2ts or single .evo (HD DVD), what filters would need to be installed to be able to play it through Windows 7 MC?

Win7 already plays some of my .m2ts files but w/o sound.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am having a heck of a Time trying to get TrueHD tracks/audio to playback from some of my archives, using WMP12 & MC7.

ffdshow worked fine in earlier builds of Win7 - (mfds.dll disabled)

if anyone finds/has a solution to above prob...pleeeassse post your findings.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/16948180

You just need to get AC3 filter for DTS audio and it should work.

I'll give it a try tonight....but Win 7 is able to decode HD audio tracks?? I got no video on one of the blu-rays i tried (can't remember the name) but will give it a shot tonight...

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my folder rips are done using using tsMuxer and rip to Blu-Ray folder structure (which essentially creates only 1 .m2ts file)

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a href="/forum/post/16946580"img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""/abrbrbrbr
If ripping blu-ray movies (movie only + hd audio track) to single .m2ts or single .evo (HD DVD), what filters would need to be installed to be able to play it through Windows 7 MC?brbrbrbr
Win7 already plays some of my .m2ts files but w/o sound./div
br/div
brbrbrpbr
Windows 7 supports M2TS natively and uses the Media Foundation pipeline to play M2TS in WMP12/7MC./p
brblockquotepbr
Media Source -> Media Foundation Transform (Microsoft DTV-DVD Video/Audio Decoder [this is also a DirectShow filter] etc.) -> Media Sink

But the supported video/audio formats are limited to

• Video: H.264, MPEG-2

• Audio: AC3, LPCM, MPEG-1

If your M2TS' video/audio track is anything else (e.g. VC-1/Dolby TrueHD), you won't see video/hear audio.

As you can see in the above (from WinHEC 2007), the main target of M2TS support is not Blu-ray but AVCHD, hence naturally no support for VC-1, DTS or HD audio. So you have to disable Media Foundation and use the DirectShow pipeline instead in WMP12/7MC, with proper filters (yup, WMP12/7MC player support both MF and DS pipelines).

I tested below only with 7600 x86, but the same procedure should work for x64 (perhaps with minor modifications, e.g. CLSID).

Disable Media Foundation

One way is disable Media Foundation Protected Media Pipeline (mfpmp.exe). But this is not a good idea because then you won't be able to play, for example, WMV. Another method is diable Media Foundation DirectShow Wrapper (mfds.dll). This method works fine in my system (Windows 7 RTM 7600). mfds.dll is located in C:\\Windows\\System32. Renaming it is enough (first you have to change ownership to the administrator and give them Full Control permissions).

DirectShow filtes to play M2TS with HD audio tracks

You need a proper source/splitter filter, audio decoder, video decoder and video renderer.

Source/splitter filter

You can't use the famous Haali Media Splitter because it can't recognize Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. Instead use MPC - MPEG Source (Gabest) (MpegSplitter.ax). Download it here (standalone filters, x86 or x64). Place it in a folder (say C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Roaming\\MPC Filters) and register it. For example, copy and paste the following command to notepad, save it as "install.bat" in the same folder and double click it.

Code:

Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe MpegSplitter.ax

Further you have to edit the registry. The player first searches for the M2TS source/splitter filter in the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions\\.m2ts and it may find Haali Media Splitter there. (Merit values are totally irrelevant here.) So you have to replace it with Gabest. To do so, copy and paste the following to notepad, save it as, say, "m2ts_Gabest.reg", and double click it.

Code:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions\\.m2ts]
"Source Filter"="{1365BE7A-C86A-473C-9A41-C0A6E82C9FA3}"

{1365BE7A-C86A-473C-9A41-C0A6E82C9FA3} is CLSID of MPC - Mpeg Source (Gabest). To resore Haali Media Splitter to the default M2TS source/splitter filter, use

Code:

Code:

"Source Filter"="{55DA30FC-F16B-49fc-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}"

{55DA30FC-F16B-49fc-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D} is CLSID of Haali Media Splitter.

Audio Decoder

The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder (msmpeg2adec.dll) supports Dolby TrueHD (!), but only its AC3 core. So disable it (renaming it is enough) and use ffdshow Audio Decoder instead. The latest version is here . As there is no free DTS-HD Master Audio decoder, you have to be content with the DTS core.

Video Decoder

You can use Win7DSFilterTweaker to change the default video decoders in WMP12/7MC. See also the post:

Here are recommended decoders:

• H.264: The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder should be good. An alternaive is MPC - Video Decoder.

• VC-1: The default WMVideo Decoder DMO is good but does not support DXVA. Use MPC - Video Decoder instead.

• MPEG-2: The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder should be good. An alternative is CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7/8/9) (x86 only).

Video Renderer

Use the default EVR.

GraphStudio

Use GraphStudio (x86 or x64) to see if the correct filters are used. Drag and drop the m2ts file on it.

If you right-click the xxx.M2TS and select "Properties", you will see what source filter is used. "Video Mixing Renderer" is the Windows default video renderer, but EVR is used in WMP12/7MC by default. So you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
468 Posts
rene,

this is a great guide. If you wanted to do the same thing with MKV and or WMV what would this look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16951614

Windows 7 supports M2TS natively and uses the Media Foundation pipeline to play M2TS in WMP12/7MC.

Media Source -> Media Foundation Transform (Microsoft DTV-DVD Video/Audio Decoder [this is also a DirectShow filter] etc.) -> Media Sink
But the supported audio formats are limited to AC3 and LPCM IIRC. If your M2TS's primary audio track is anything else (e.g. Dolby TrueHD), you won't hear audio. So you have to disable Media Foundation and use the DirectShow pipeline with proper filters in WMP12/7MC instead (yup, WMP12/7MC player support both MF and DS pipelines).

I tested below only with 7600 x86, but the same procedure should work for x64 (perhaps with minor modifications, e.g. CLSID).

Disable Media Foundation

One way is disable Media Foundation Protected Media Pipeline (mfpmp.exe). But this is not a good idea because then you won't be able to play, for example, WMV. Another method is diable Media Foundation DirectShow Wrapper (mfds.dll). This method works fine in my system (Windows 7 RTM 7600). mfds.dll is located in C:\\Windows\\System32. Renaming it is enough (first you have to change ownership to the administrator and give them Full Control permissions).

DirectShow filtes to play M2TS with HD audio tracks

You need a proper source/splitter filter, audio decoder, video decoder and video renderer.

Source/splitter filter

You can't use the famous Haali Media Splitter because it can't recognize HD audio tracks. Instead use MPC - MPEG Source (Gabest) (MpegSplitter.ax). Download it here (standalone filters, x86 or x64). Place it in a folder (say C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Roaming\\MPC Filters) and register it. For example, copy and paste the following command to notepad, save it as "install.bat" in the same folder and double click it.

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe MpegSplitter.ax
Further you have to edit the registry. The player first searches for the M2TS source/splitter filter in the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\Media Type\\Extensions\\.m2ts and it may find Haali Media Splitter there. (Merit values are totally irrelevant here.) So you have to replace it with Gabest. To do so, copy and paste the following to notepad, save it as, say, "m2ts_Gabest.reg", and double click it.

Code:
Code:

"Source Filter"="{1365BE7A-C86A-473C-9A41-C0A6E82C9FA3}"
{1365BE7A-C86A-473C-9A41-C0A6E82C9FA3} is CLSID of MPC - Mpeg Source (Gabest). To resore Haali Media Splitter to the default M2TS source/splitter filter, use

Code:
Code:

"Source Filter"="{55DA30FC-F16B-49fc-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}"
{55DA30FC-F16B-49fc-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D} is CLSID of Haali Media Splitter.

Audio Decoder

The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder (msmpeg2adec.dll) supports Dolby TrueHD (!), but only its AC3 core. So disable it (renaming it is enough) and use ffdshow Audio Decoder instead. The latest version is here . As there is no free DTS-HD Master Audio decoder, you have to contend with the DTS core.

Video Decoder

You can use Win7DSFilterTweaker to change the default video decoder in WMP12/7MC.

- H.264: The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder should be good. An alternaive is MPC - Video Decoder.

- VC-1: The default WMVideo Decoder DMO is good but does not support DXVA. Use MPC - Video Decoder instead.

- MPEG-2: The default Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder should be good. An alternative is CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7/8/9) (x86 only).

Video Renderer

Use the default EVR.

GraphStudio

Use GraphStudio (x86 or x64) to see if the correct filters are used. Drag and drop the m2ts file on it.

If you right-click the xxx.M2TS and select "Properties", you will see what source filter is used. "Video Mixing Renderer" is the Windows default video renderer, but EVR is used in WMP12/7MC by default. So you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
@ renethx, if you want to get true HD audio I guess you have to go through all that trouble. However, I believe AC3filter will decode the DTS core of a DTS-HD track and play it back with no other modifications needed. This is good enough for me as I do not have the proper set up to take advantage of the HD audio.

·
Registered
390 Posts
@tsanga:

No, TV in media center will play fine, as long as you have proper direct show filters.

Thank you, Renethx

that is a good explanation for myself and everyone else.

i forgot about mpegsplitter.

i'm going to test the registry settings also.....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking /forum/post/16956393

@tsanga:

No, TV in media center will play fine, as long as you have proper direct show filters.

What would be a "proper" filter? I see some mention of one here , reason being the ability to handle DRM.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/16954711

@ renethx, if you want to get true HD audio I guess you have to go through all that trouble. However, I believe AC3filter will decode the DTS core of a DTS-HD track and play it back with no other modifications needed. This is good enough for me as I do not have the proper set up to take advantage of the HD audio.

Dolby TrueHD: You have to go through all the procedures I described.

DTS-HD Master Audio: The current MF source components do not support even DTS. So you still have to use DirectShow. Then you can use Haali Media Splitter, and you can use any DTS decoder (whether it actually decodes or passes through the core DTS), e.g. AC3Filter, ffdshow Audio Decoder, DScaler Audio Decoder, MPA Decoder, MPC DTS Decoder.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Renethx,

I saw this guide and followed it step by step. The only issue Im having is when I run the Win7DSFilterTweaker, I do not see any option to select the MVC Filter for VC-1.

I am running 64bit (not 32bit) and I noticed in the Win7DSFilterTweaker thread that it does not support any VC-1 filters under 64bit. I assume this is the reason? (edit: Maybe the MVCVideoDec supported under the 64bit section will indeed do VC-1, if this is the case why isnt MVC showing up as an option for me when I use the tweaker? Is this because of the note where you sad the CLSID might be different for 64bit?)

My issue for trying all of this is that I ripped all of my BR's to m2ts files to maintain PS3 compatibility. I converted all of the audio to AC3 (to avoid the DTS-HD issues with m2ts in WMP), however all of my VC-1 encodes play audio but no video. The AVC encodes all work great.

I can only assume this is due to the VC-1 playback inside m2ts files issue. So Ive got 3 choices it seems....

1. Change to 32bit Vista

2. Wait for the filter tweaker to support a 64bit VC-1 filter

3. Reconvert everything over to another format like MKV and lose PS3 compatibility.

Does this sound right?

P.S. GraphStudio does not work for me. On both my 32 and 64 bit Win7 installs it tells me that it cant open my m2ts files when I try to drag them to it.

41 - 60 of 220 Posts