AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a receiver like the onyko 807,integra 40.1 or the denon 2310. I have also come across the emotiva 7 channel amp.

My question is this, can i just output the analog connections from the computer to the amp and let windows 7 control the sound? write now all i have is the computer to play music and movies. I guess if i want to add more components I would eventually need a preamp/processor.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sure you can! I have a couple friends using the 5.1 analogue outputs on their HTPCs directly into amplifiers with excellent results.

I think the main things you lose are not having a really easy way to use multiple devices and possibly room correction software like Audessy.

if you are using your HTPC to play bd/DVDs, CDs/MP3s, network radio, etc then the first 'issue' is inconsequential.

I personally have not used any room correction software due to my older Marantz AVR, but until I upgrade to a new one (will be soon...) I remain blissfully ignorant

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in windows 7 you can use the mic to calibrate the audio but i think it is a dum down audessy. It would be nice if there is a card for the computer where you can add hdmi inputs to play thru the system. I did try today with the pc mic and it creates test tones then give a number for each channel.I am also clueless with audessy since i also have a old denon 3300 model.

If i add anything it would be a gaming system or my old samsung hdtv receiver.I use the sammy for abackup ota when beyond tv goes down.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I run analog outs from my xonar to my parasound amp, it gives a really good sound but I don't have the ability to perform ac3 inputs or hdmi inputs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does your zonar card have software that does room correction like audessy? which operating system are you running?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep /forum/post/18137344

does your zonar card have software that does room correction like audessy? which operating system are you running?

no, windows 7 has a built in room correction but I choose not to run it.

My OS is windows 7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.