AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before anyone barks: I have a technet plus subscription so I am among the first groups of people (as of August 6, Thursday) with legitimate, activating, verifiable untainted, genuine versions of the RTM of Windows 7. So no weird Chinese leaked copies with blacklisted Lenovo keys...

Anywho, I installed a bunch of software prior to the ASUS HDAV drivers and no problems. I installed the HDAV driver, restart and notice the vast majority of my applications (IE, Firefox, TMT) would show up in the task manager (like iexplorer.exe) yet no window would show.

So I think I messed something up and re-installed. Installed ONLY the HDAV driver, immediately by just activating Windows) and same behavior. Being clever, I made a image of the Windows 7 as back up (between activating and the ASUS driver, ie the "vanilla") and restored, magically IE works.

My conclusion is the HDAV driver is causing the Windows 7 interface to act crazy and is buggy.

Does anyone else concur?

I am installing Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I have the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe downloading the "Windows 7 x64 (via dropdown selection)" for driver version 8.17.71, dated July 6, 2009.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I had the same issue (Technet also) and I found that it was the C:\\Windows\\SysWow64\\HsMgr.exe that was causing all 32 bit apps to run but not appear. To fix it:
  1. Go to "Start" -> "Run" (or Windows Key + R)
  2. Type "MsConfig" and hit
  3. In the "Startup" tab, uncheck the "C:\\Windows\\SysWow64\\HsMgr.exe" entry. (The 64 bit version in Windows\\System32 can stay enabled.)
  4. Restart machine.

I haven't tried reinstalling the drivers yet to see if it fixes itself. The file seems to be used for the EAX for 32 bit games which I don't use so I'm satisfied with it disabled.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/16964371

Apparently, the Vista game patch resolves the issue.

correct, and without hacking anything else...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts