AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Win7 I can't seem to get undecoded audio via HDMI. My Anthem receiver indicates Multi PCM, which I think indicates that Windows is manipulating the sound before it gets to the receiver. In the config, Windows recognizes my Anthem receiver and it's capabilities. If I select two channels in the config, I get 2channel PCM. If I select 5.1, I get 5 channel PCM. I've tried exclusive mode on and off. I also want to be able to watch one source and listen to another from the PC. I have an exercise DVD i want to watch while listening to Pandora. I see that there are multiple threads addressing audio, but I don't see that any are resolved or just address a simple case.

How do I get the native bitstream from Windows to be decoded or manipulated by the Anthem and not Windows?

·
Registered
12 Posts

You need to ensure the player you are using to play the audio is set to 'bitstream' otherwise the player will decode it instead of your amp.

Note - probably isn't much difference whether your PC or your amp decodes the audio, in terms of quality, you may not really need to actually bitstream in the first place.

Also, unless your audio source is 5.1 then there isn't much point in bitstreaming it to the decoder

Example to get bitstreaming working for VLC and MPC-HC (assumes a 5.1 audio source):

In VLC you can go to Tools > Preferences > Audio > 'use spdif'

In MPC-HC you can go to View > Options > Internal Filter > Audio Decoder > Tick all the formats under 'Bitstreaming (SPDIF,HDMI)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I'm not using a front end. I am using HDMI only. Also, I'd rather not have Windows do the decoding. I'd rather have Anthem do it. HOw can I get it to work within that context? Foobar is showing a 2.0 channel stream, in this particular case. Yet because I selected a 5.1 setup, I'm getting multi pcm.

·
Registered
12 Posts

So what software within Windows 7 are you using to output your sound to your receiver? (e.g. Windows Media Player, VLC, Foobar etc) - whatever software you're using needs to be configured to 'enable bitstreaming'.

If you have bitstreaming properly configured in your player, then your HDMI sound device in Control Panel > Sound doesn't matter if its set to 2 speaker, 5.1 whatever, as with bitstreaming this will have no effect.

Also in Control Panel > Sound > HDMI device > Properties > Supported FOrmats, ensure that Dolby, DTS etc are listed in there...

If you are somehow from Windows 7 natively outputting audio directly over HDMI without using some kind of player, I'm not aware of any blanket Windows setting which forces 'bitstreaming' to be turned on... I'm only aware of bitstreaming option within individual players (e.g. MPC-HC, VLC)

In Foobar I think you can select WASAPI as the output which won't try to decode the audio ... (download the foo_WASAPI plugin)... Also most sound cards only support 48K sound natively, so if your audio file is 44.1K, the sound card may resample it as 48K before outputting thus screwing the bitstreaming

Try testing a 48K audio file vs 44.1K audio file, you might find one works (i.e. your receiver detects a true 5.1 dolby stream with 48K 5.1, but doesn't with 44.1K 5.1)...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you are using Windows Media Centre to playback your files and want bitstreaming you need a decoder - LAV Filters are the most popular and with these installed, you can then bitstream sound direct to your receiver.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent  /t/1521708/windows-7-audio-via-hdmi-lets-start-simple#post_24459135

In Win7 I can't seem to get undecoded audio via HDMI. My Anthem receiver indicates Multi PCM, which I think indicates that Windows is manipulating the sound before it gets to the receiver. In the config, Windows recognizes my Anthem receiver and it's capabilities. If I select two channels in the config, I get 2channel PCM. If I select 5.1, I get 5 channel PCM. I've tried exclusive mode on and off. I also want to be able to watch one source and listen to another from the PC. I have an exercise DVD i want to watch while listening to Pandora. I see that there are multiple threads addressing audio, but I don't see that any are resolved or just address a simple case.

How do I get the native bitstream from Windows to be decoded or manipulated by the Anthem and not Windows?
Hi Crescent,

Just wondering if you solved this and if so, how?

Regards

alpha3

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent  /t/1521708/windows-7-audio-via-hdmi-lets-start-simple#post_24459135

You can't get a native bitstream as there is not native bitstream to get because you are trying to output two different audio streams at the same time. They have to get combined. And the audio quality is going to be as good as it can be given it is decoding out outputting as lossless PCM (and you are talking about streaming Pandora so I'm not sure why you would be concerned about whether the receiver lights up a specific format notification). If you were just playing the DVD, had exclusive mode enabled and were using the apps or LAV filters mentioned here you could bitstream.

Now if you want to bitstream DTS/Dolby formats from movies and TV while also playing back FLAC 5.1, there are some other Windows issues you'd have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay. Sometimes work gets in the way of life.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.

My main critical listening for music is output from foobar 2000. The point I was trying to make was that no matter what I play, the output is as Windows designates it. If I config for two channel, I get two channel pcm. If I do 5.1, I get 5 channel pcm. For foobar, I did download the wasapi plug-in. Results are the same. Foobar is telling me that it is reading stereo, but Windows outputs pcm. It sounds good enough, so I was going to live with it. So is foobar decoding the stream or is it Windows? I don't know....

I haven't really focused on movies yet as this is a fairly new build. Actually, I haven't had a lot of time to put into it. But when I was playing with JRiver, the movies would output HD (Dolby True or DTS Master) regardless of Windows settings. So Steelman's response about filters makes sense to me.

The reason I mentioned streaming from the browser while watching a DVD was because I wanted to make the point that exclusive mode might create a problem for me. But, I did test this.

So they all sound pretty good, I just wanted to get the native stream if I could get it and hear which I liked better.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I don't think you can 'bitstream' regular 2.0 stereo, only 5.1/7.1 surround sound files ?

Try testing it with a 5.1 audio file (not a stock standard mp3 / wav file...) - try files from here: http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

Try using MPC-HC to the play the 5.1 audio file, and ensure 'bitstreaming' is enabled via Options > Internal Filters > Audio Decoder > Tick all the formats under Bitstreaming

Once bitstreaming is working then the windows setting (2.0, 5.1 etc) won't have any effect as the stream is being send direct to your receiver without modification.

Cheers

alpha3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts