AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've installed Windows 7 to check it out and see how things have improved over Vista.

Now I've run into the problem that DVDs wont play, all I get is a blank screen the same as if a filter isn't connecting to the renderer.

My test .vob files play and I know that there is a built in decoder for DTV and DVDs.

I know I can probally just install my nVidia codecs but I wanted to see how the default Microsoft ones faired.

Has anyone bee able to play a comercial "pressed" dvd not a ripped one or not by using anydvd?

If you can, what videocard/driver version did you use.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
No problem playing from disc with or without AnyDVD (Win 7 x32, Nvidia 9600gt, 180.48 and native mpeg2 decoder).

BTW after stopping playback I was greeted by a metadata display screen with cast & crew, cover, year, duration & synopsis of the movie!!! The more I play with Win 7 the more I like it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm thinking that the drivers from windows update aren't letting DRM'd content play, the same as how some people have issues playing HD-dvd and Blue-ray sometimes.

I'm going to try the new nvidia drivers even though they (nvidia,) says to used the drivers off of windows update and see how they fair.

Other than that I'm really impressed buy how windows 7 is running since I beta tested Vista through multiple betas (maybee 5 diffrent versions if I recall) and none of them, even the RTM build ran well on my 3.4 GHZ pentium4 w/1.5GB of ram.

Windows 7, on the other hand seems as fast as my windows XPsp3 install and I run that with a bunch of services and eye candy disabled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with Windows 7. It may be attributed to the fact I upgraded from Vista and/or I have K-Lite Codec Pack (includes FFDShow). I tried the latest (beta) K-Lite and still the same, except now Media Player Classic says "DVD: Copy-protect fail" even though the DVD is fully legit (the extended collection of Lord of the Rings).

And guess what: VLC saves the day again
- Installed it and plays with no issue. For those who demand the best picture quality, I recommend changing the output setting to OpenGL (from Tools>Preferences>Video) to remove pixelation. The other options had slight pixelation for me.

Check the screenshot:

I also want to use the opportunity to say that Windows 7 is the best operating system I've used, and it's only a beta! For the first time I will be rushing to get it as soon as its released!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just in case VLC is not your cup of tea and you prefer the great new Windows Media Player 12 or Media Player Classic, you can also get AnyDVD to actively circumvent the CSS encryption and fix the playback problem on Windows 7. (It's 50 Euros so it may not be the best option but it has a 21 day trial.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts