AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
============================================================ =====================================
Problem fixed: The sollution which worked for me is posted here
============================================================ =====================================


I hope someone has an idea on how to solve my problem, because it's getting pretty annoying...


My setup:

- HTPC (with ATi HD4670 Ultimate, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

- Denon AVR-2808

- Pioneer KRP-500M

Here's my problem:

I've got my HTPC (which is running with MediaPortal) connected to my receiver (HDMI) which is hooked up to my TV (HDMI). When i'm listening to the radio or music i always turn off my TV since there's no need for it to waste power. This worked flawlessly the last 2 years, but since i upgraded to Windows 7 (x64) the problems started. When i turn off the TV, and (later) turn it on again, i'm confronted with MediaPortal running in 'windowed mode' (see attachment). The same thing happens when i've got an application (for example MPC-HC) running in full screen mode, switch input on my receiver, wait a few seconds, switch back input to HTPC --> result: MPC-HC running in windowed mode.


Since i wasn't sure what could cause this problem i tried about 5 older ATi drivers, which didn't help.

Then i found the thread about EDID override, tried that, but that didn't help either.

Finally i decided to install Windows Vista again and test ATi (10.2) drivers on that OS and guess what? NO issues at all! When i turn on my TV again, MediaPortal still works full screen, so i assume it's Windows 7 related.


I've collected logs while running Windows Vista & while running Windows 7. The strange thing is that in the Vista logs there isn't 1 entry about Direct3D kicking in and switching to windowed or exclusive mode.

When i'm running Windows 7 and turn off the TV the logs show an entry like:

'D3D: Switched to windowed mode successfully'.


Off course i can fix this problem by connecting my HTPC directly to my TV (HDMI) and use SPDIF from my HTPC to my receiver, but since i'm about to upgrade to an ATi 5770 for DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD, that isn't an option because i can only get those audiostreams when using HDMI.


So now i've got the feeling it has something to do with Windows 7 and Direct3D behaviour since Windows Vista never gave me this problem



Hopefully someone can point me into a direction to get this fixed because i'm not gonna be able to live with an SPDIF setup (no DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD audio) and i don't wanna keep my Pio on all day when i'm only listening to radio/music.


TNX in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeY_ /forum/post/18300429


I hope someone has an idea on how to solve my problem, because it's getting pretty annoying...


My setup:

- HTPC (with ATi HD4670 Ultimate, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

- Denon AVR-2808

- Pioneer KRP-500M

Here's my problem:

I've got my HTPC (which is running with MediaPortal) connected to my receiver (HDMI) which is hooked up to my TV (HDMI). When i'm listening to the radio or music i always turn off my TV since there's no need for it to waste power. This worked flawlessly the last 2 years, but since i upgraded to Windows 7 (x64) the problems started. When i turn off the TV, and (later) turn it on again, i'm confronted with MediaPortal running in 'windowed mode' (see attachment). The same thing happens when i've got an application (for example MPC-HC) running in full screen mode, switch input on my receiver, wait a few seconds, switch back input to HTPC --> result: MPC-HC running in windowed mode.


Since i wasn't sure what could cause this problem i tried about 5 older ATi drivers, which didn't help.

Then i found the thread about EDID override, tried that, but that didn't help either.

Finally i decided to install Windows Vista again and test ATi (10.2) drivers on that OS and guess what? NO issues at all! When i turn on my TV again, MediaPortal still works full screen, so i assume it's Windows 7 related.


I've collected logs while running Windows Vista & while running Windows 7. The strange thing is that in the Vista logs there isn't 1 entry about Direct3D kicking in and switching to windowed or exclusive mode.

When i'm running Windows 7 and turn off the TV the logs show an entry like:

'D3D: Switched to windowed mode successfully'.


Off course i can fix this problem by connecting my HTPC directly to my TV (HDMI) and use SPDIF from my HTPC to my receiver, but since i'm about to upgrade to an ATi 5770 for DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD, that isn't an option because i can only get those audiostreams when using HDMI.


So now i've got the feeling it has something to do with Windows 7 and Direct3D behaviour since Windows Vista never gave me this problem



Hopefully someone can point me into a direction to get this fixed because i'm not gonna be able to live with an SPDIF setup (no DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD audio) and i don't wanna keep my Pio on all day when i'm only listening to radio/music.


TNX in advance!

Hi mate,


I can suggest a few things that may help you here


1. Disable ATI's "external event handler" service.


2. Check out the EDID Override threads here. Look for Tulli.


3. If the above doesn't help it's time to install VNC (more on that if 1 & 2 don't help).


Don't mean to be cryptic but it's late here.


Good luck.


Wo0zy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I have the same problem, but with the Windows Media Center application (I have an HTPC running Windows 7 HP x32, ATI 4670, and Sony STR-DG820 AVR).


With Vista it was worse, turning off or changing inputs on the AVR would cause the Windows Vista OS to reset its desktop resolution (which couldn't easily be fixed from the remote and required getting out the keyboard).


With Windows 7, turning off or changing inputs on the AVR only causes the full screened Media Center Application to change resolution (i.e. to 1024x768), but Windows 7 stays at 1920x1080. The MC app doesn't drop into Windowed mode since Windows Media Center is still full screen, just upscaled from 1024x768. This can be "fixed" by simply closing and reopening the Media Center application from the remote. Still kind of a pain, but way better than it was in Vista since this is something other family members can easily do.


At this point, I am just waiting for ATI to just fix their drivers and provide a simple option to just ignore the HDMI EDID or whatever it is that is causing the driver to think that it needs to reset the resolution when the HTPC doesn't see the monitor (aka AVR in this case). I have other computers that run 24x7 and I just turn off the monitor (connected via DVI) when not in use and the resolution never resets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Same problem here. When using media center 7, turning off tv and on will cause wmc rescale to 1024x768. If just the desktop, then no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
I had this happen and it drove me nuts. My Sharp LCD has a native resolution of 1366x768, and I would select 720p as the resolution then scale the desktop so everything fit. I fixed the issue by not scaling the desktop. Now, when I resume from sleep, switch inputs, etc, I no longer have any 1024x768 resolution problems. Having bits not show up around the edge of my screen doesn't bother me because I don't use my HTPC for anything other than 7MC and TMT3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy /forum/post/18302227


Hi mate,


I can suggest a few things that may help you here


1. Disable ATI's "external event handler" service.


2. Check out the EDID Override threads here. Look for Tulli.


3. If the above doesn't help it's time to install VNC (more on that if 1 & 2 don't help).


Don't mean to be cryptic but it's late here.


Good luck.


Wo0zy

hey Wo0zy, hope you slept well



1. I tried disablind 'ATi External Event Utility' but did didn't help


2. I've read through the entire thread of EDID Override and Tully replied to me that this issue probably isn't gonna be fixed with an EDID override (which i also tried with 1 of his files)


3. Curious now


Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyus /forum/post/18302716


With Vista it was worse, turning off or changing inputs on the AVR would cause the Windows Vista OS to reset its desktop resolution (which couldn't easily be fixed from the remote and required getting out the keyboard).

Strange that i've got totally no problems with Windows Vista running
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unbelievable..... After trying for days to figure out what the problem is, it's fixed



The only thing i needed to do was hook my HTPC up to the receiver on HDMI1 instead of HDMI2.

Now i can turn the TV off and on again, or switch inputs on the receiver and when i put it back on the 'HTPC' input, i've got everything running in fullscreen as perfect as can be



NO idea what the difference between the 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver is, but you don't wanna know how HAPPY i am that this is fixed!!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top