AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HTPC has been running fine for about 3 or 4 years. I just replaced a 4 year old Pioneer AV receiver with a new Yamaha V677 AV receiver. After setting up, (using HDMI connections only with the new Yamaha, as was also the case with the Pioneer) I noticed the receiver was only getting 2 channel PCM audio from the HTPC.

When I had the Pioneer receiver, Windows 7 showed it as an audio device (Control Panel =>Hardware and Sound=>Sound=>Manage Audio Devices) but the new Yamaha does not show up and I cannot find any way to get Windows to detect it as an audio device.

Windows does show my TV as an audio device, and by changing the properties for that device to 5.1 audio channel support, I can now get multi channel PCM to the Yamaha AVR.

But that's a workaround, and sometimes reverts back to 2 channel audio. (not sure why, maybe something to do with occasionally using HDMI Standby Passthru on the AVR)

I would really like to get this set up properly. Anyone know how to get Windows to detect a Yamaha AVR as an Audio device?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My HTPC has been running fine for about 3 or 4 years. I just replaced a 4 year old Pioneer AV receiver with a new Yamaha V677 AV receiver. After setting up, (using HDMI connections only with the new Yamaha, as was also the case with the Pioneer) I noticed the receiver was only getting 2 channel PCM audio from the HTPC.

When I had the Pioneer receiver, Windows 7 showed it as an audio device (Control Panel =>Hardware and Sound=>Sound=>Manage Audio Devices) but the new Yamaha does not show up and I cannot find any way to get Windows to detect it as an audio device.

Windows does show my TV as an audio device, and by changing the properties for that device to 5.1 audio channel support, I can now get multi channel PCM to the Yamaha AVR.

But that's a workaround, and sometimes reverts back to 2 channel audio. (not sure why, maybe something to do with occasionally using HDMI Standby Passthru on the AVR)

I would really like to get this set up properly. Anyone know how to get Windows to detect a Yamaha AVR as an Audio device?

Thanks.
Does bitstreaming work with the AVRS supported formats like DTS MASTER AUDIO, DOLBY TRUE HD, DTS, DOLBY Digital?
Whats the spec of your pc?
If you go to playback devices, property's of the device then supported formats what is shown?

it may be a driver problem or a edid problem hard to tell without more info.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have been running into the same issue with my Yamaha AVR (RX-V371) and my Basement HTPC. Windows only sees my TV and not the AVR and doesn't show any of the HD Audio formats. If I bring the HTPC upstairs to and hook up to my Denon AVR (3311), there is no issue - shows DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD. I have come to the conclusion its an EDID problem and could be solved 2 different ways: replace the Yamaha with another Denon AVR or look into getting Gefen's HDMI Detective.......

Toys

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
For whatever reason, Windows will randomly show TV name instead of AVR name. But that's the same device you want to play sound to regardless what it is called. I have a two Pioneer receivers and many times when I connect my PC to them, it will show TV name but other times it show AVR name.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does bitstreaming work with the AVRS supported formats like DTS MASTER AUDIO, DOLBY TRUE HD, DTS, DOLBY Digital?
Whats the spec of your pc?
If you go to playback devices, property's of the device then supported formats what is shown?

it may be a driver problem or a edid problem hard to tell without more info.
HTPC specs: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 motherboard with an Intel i3-2100 CPU with built in Intel HD graphics. Motherboard has HDMI out (1.4 I believe). Solid State Drive for the OS and a Ceton 4 tuner card. System has worked reliably for several years. No additional video or audio cards, just a Ceton 4 tuner cable TV card for cable TV input to the HTPC.

Audio formats listed for the Panasonic TV as an audio device:
DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital

I know my Panasonic P65-S2 TV does not actually support these formats. So likely Windows somehow detects the audio capabilities of the receiver, but ascribes them to the TV.

And even though I am currently getting multichannel audio out from the HTPC, I do not trust this kind of a kludge to be reliable.

Windows should be listing the actual receiver as an audio device, so is there a device driver issue? Bios issue? I see some other Yamaha owners that seem to have the same problem, but the threads I found did not have a solution. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for any ideas you have!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I would only be concerned about the name it's showing if you didn't have those audio formats showing. Those audio formats wouldn't be showing if they weren't in the audio block.

I think someone asked earlier, do the audio formats not work?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would only be concerned about the name it's showing if you didn't have those audio formats showing. Those audio formats wouldn't be showing if they weren't in the audio block.

I think someone asked earlier, do the audio formats not work?
Yes, they seem to. Receiver says it is getting 5.1 channel PCM input, and each speaker emits audible sounds.

But I still don't trust it! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts