AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very annoying/wierd issue with my HTPC. Whenever the machine is idle for a couple hours the screen will go black, and I am unable to get it back to the desktop/media center inferface without turning it off and back on.

When I say idle, I mean I will have my home theater set to a different source(Tivo for instance). So I will switch to my HTPC and the screen will be black, and my receiver acts like there is not any source. Below are some things I have tried.

1. Switched video cards, went from nvidia 8400GS to ati 5450(both using HDMI out)

2. Updated all drivers/firmware

3. Setup screensavers on the machine, disabled all power saving features(machine never sleeps, or spins down).

4. Switched inputs on receiver.

Next step is to bypass my receiver temporarly(plug directly into TV) to see if the receiver is causing the issue.

Anyone else seen this before, or have any ideas.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I have the same problem but mine only acts up when it wakes for a recording. Hitting Ctrl & atl & del brings up task manager and I can close WMC to get back to desktop.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorss78 /forum/post/18254129

I have a very annoying/wierd issue with my HTPC. Whenever the machine is idle for a couple hours the screen will go black, and I am unable to get it back to the desktop/media center inferface without turning it off and back on.

When I say idle, I mean I will have my home theater set to a different source(Tivo for instance). So I will switch to my HTPC and the screen will be black, and my receiver acts like there is not any source. Below are some things I have tried.

1. Switched video cards, went from nvidia 8400GS to ati 5450(both using HDMI out)

2. Updated all drivers/firmware

3. Setup screensavers on the machine, disabled all power saving features(machine never sleeps, or spins down).

4. Switched inputs on receiver.

Next step is to bypass my receiver temporarly(plug directly into TV) to see if the receiver is causing the issue.

Anyone else seen this before, or have any ideas.

try MCE standby tool.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you have an MCE remote, try pressing the green button. Works on mine that has the same symptom. I finally got tired of it though and set the sleep timer for four hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18254138

I have the same problem but mine only acts up when it wakes for a recording. Hitting Ctrl & atl & del brings up task manager and I can close WMC to get back to desktop.

Yeah, I have tried that as well, not change. Screen stays black...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18254181

try MCE standby tool.

Tried it a couple months ago, will check it out again to make sure I did not miss anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLR /forum/post/18254203

If you have an MCE remote, try pressing the green button. Works on mine that has the same symptom. I finally got tired of it though and set the sleep timer for four hours.

My machine should not be going to sleep(at least that is how I have it setup I think).

No hibernation, sleep or standby....very annoying..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep, I had the same problem and tried everything mentioned in this thread along with other various settings. I finally gave up and resorted to what 'ams123' did.

Weeks later I replaced my Onyko with a Denon 1910 and this problem instantly disappeared. Perhaps an issue with HDMI/HDCP handshaking with some AVR's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a similar issue with 7MC and my Onkyo 605. For me, I don't get a black screen, but the MC 10-foot interface reverts to 480i from 1080p. If I minimize MCE, the desktop comes up at full (normal 1080p) resolution, and when I re-maximize MC, all is well.

This only happens if I leave MC full screen, and happens instantly when I toggle the input on the AVR. i.e. I switch the Onkyo to a different input and back to the HTPC, and it has reverted to 480. If I leave it at the desktop, this issue never happens, only if MC is maximized. It kind of feels like an HDMI issue, as is suggested in this thread, but it makes no sense to me why it only happens if 7MC is maximized.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18264135

but it makes no sense to me why it only happens if 7MC is maximized.

Any ideas?

This is probably due to when you maximize 7MC it goes into 'full screen' mode and controls the resolution itself (separate from your desktop settings). There must be a bug in the 7MC code for resolution detection with some EDIDs from receivers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts