AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HDHomeRun was working fine today under Vista, but after installing 7 RTM, I cannot get it to work. When going into "live tv" in mce the video starts, but the audio loops the first second of audio about 5-10 times before it just stops and I get an error screen that reads:

Video Error

Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart window media center or restart the computer.

I posted this over on the Silicondust forum and one of there mods tried to helped (they seem to have great support).

Anyways, I tried an app called MCDU to change the decoder that 7MC used and it worked... until I restarted the machine. Now changing to any decoder option gives me a "Decoder Error" message when trying to watch live tv. Anyone else run into this?

PS: Running Home Premium 7 RTM x86

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead /forum/post/16959597

My HDHomeRun was working fine today under Vista, but after installing 7 RTM, I cannot get it to work. When going into "live tv" in mce the video starts, but the audio loops the first second of audio about 5-10 times before it just stops and I get an error screen that reads:

Video Error

Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart window media center or restart the computer.

I posted this over on the Silicondust forum and one of there mods tried to helped (they seem to have great support).

Anyways, I tried an app called MCDU to change the decoder that 7MC used and it worked... until I restarted the machine. Now changing to any decoder option gives me a "Decoder Error" message when trying to watch live tv. Anyone else run into this?

PS: Running Home Premium 7 RTM x86

There's a special version of HDHomeRun Software for Win7... Looks like it's been included in the latests beta drivers

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Not sure what it could be, the baseWin7 codecs should suffice. Maybe you could load the shark 007 codec pack see if that helps...

Did you go through the whole TV signal setup? I'd suggest trying that again if you haven't. You should also get an idea if the tuner if working when you do the channel scan...

Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/16959953

Not sure what it could be, the baseWin7 codecs should suffice. Maybe you could load the shark 007 codec pack see if that helps...

Did you go through the whole TV signal setup? I'd suggest trying that again if you haven't. You should also get an idea if the tuner if working when you do the channel scan...

Mike

Tried the shark codecs too. Its something with 7MC, because I can watch the hdhomerun throught the new quicktv app with no problems. I might try reinstalling 7, but using x64 instead of x86. Didn't really want to go that route on my HTPC's, but maybe it'll work.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
the rtm 7mc and hdhr work fine for me, no extra codecs necessary.

can you tune and watch channels with the hdhr driver?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/16961178

the rtm 7mc and hdhr work fine for me, no extra codecs necessary.

can you tune and watch channels with the hdhr driver?

I have no trouble watching it with QuickTV. Which version and bit of 7 did you install?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I also had some problems (altough different than yours) when upgrading from vista x86 to windows 7 x86. For some reason 4 channels from the same QAM channel would give me no signal even though I could view them just fine from the HDHomrun config software. Did a clean install and now they all come in just fine. Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same issue on an x64 build of 7 Ultimate. Can't tell if it's Windows 7 or the 9.7 catalyst drivers I'm using with my 4830. The RC running the 9.6 Catalyst's were fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoober /forum/post/16974809

I've got the same issue on an x64 build of 7 Ultimate. Can't tell if it's Windows 7 or the 9.7 catalyst drivers I'm using with my 4830. The RC running the 9.6 Catalyst's were fine.

While it sucks for you, I am glad I'm not the only one that has run into this problem. I ended up trying 6 clean installs (Windows 7 x86 and x64) on two seperate machines with no luck. Ended up back on Vista for now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it may be tied to having media center optimize the display. I logged into the box with a different domain user and noticed that Media Center was not the same size or resolution as under the previous account, though the receiver and TV were still displaying 1080p. Under this new account, media center works fine.

So I'm not going to optimize the display using media center's setup.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/16975238

does everyone with this problem have an ati video card?

I am using nvidia and not seeing this.

Nope, I am running an onboard intel video processor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm running into the same exact problem with Windows 7 Ultimate x86 32-bit with an nVidia ION motherboard (onboard GF9400).

QuickTV works fine for me but W7MC will start video, audio will loop, and then the whole screen will error out, just like OP.

Did anybody figure out how to fix this issue?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I opened a case with Microsoft on this, and after some digging we discovered that the HDCP path was not evaluating as protected for some reason, even though all of the components are perfectly capable of it.

Microsoft blamed ATI's drivers. I felt that was plausible as I run both the audio and video through the HDMI connection on my 4930.

So until somebody finally figures out what's going on, I simply disabled Dolby Digital processing within Media Center by browsing to Tasks --> Settings --> TV --> Audio and setting it to equalize the audio volume by clicking that checkbox. As soon as that box is checked, and Media Center is restarted, the TV playback works fine.

The one thing to note is that this also disables Dolby when you play DVDs using Media Center's player. It isn't a big issue for me, though, since I use TMT to play DVDs and Blu Ray.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts