AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching TV (both live and recorded) and Windows 7 Media Center randomly shuts down and restarts.

It hasn't happened much... twice, maybe three times? But it IS rather annoying.

Anybody have this issue? A search (even on Google) brought up nothing. Maybe it's just a little hiccup and nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It means it is "bluescreen"'ing. You probably do not see the bluescreen if it is set to restart afterwards, but there should be something in the event viewer that may or may not give a hint to the problem.

There are many reasons not limited to:

- bad driver installation or faulty driver (try clean installing the latest driver)

- faulty memory

- overclocking memory, GPU or CPU too much

- Just wrong timing in the BIOS for CPU, chipset or memory

- overheating

It is something to worry about and should not happen.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18154959

It means it is "bluescreen"'ing. You probably do not see the bluescreen if it is set to restart afterwards, but there should be something in the event viewer that may or may not give a hint to the problem.

There are many reasons not limited to:

- bad driver installation or faulty driver (try clean installing the latest driver)

- faulty memory

- overclocking memory, GPU or CPU too much

- Just wrong timing in the BIOS for CPU, chipset or memory

- overheating

It is something to worry about and should not happen.

Thank you.

-Drivers were all installed cleanly and are up-to-date.

-Not sure about memory... or how to check.

-No overclocking, GPU is set to max memory in bios

-Timing... possibly. My board technically only supports 1333 memory, but I installed 1600. I didn't make any bios changes (most settings are defaulted to auto) and it just "worked"

-I don't think overheating is an issue

I opened the event viewer and I had two errors. I have no clue what the second error might be. The first is most likely the culprit since I was in media center and I was using the HDHomerun:

Event 3, ehRecvr

TV tuner encountered an error. (0xc0040524) Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 1018D369-1

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bccdc

Faulting module name: audiokse.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdac9

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00059cfa

Faulting process id: 0x%9

Faulting application start time: 0x%10

Faulting application path: %11

Faulting module path: %12

Report Id: %13

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Did you look in the system event log and the application event log?

If you have >2GB installed, especially in 4 banks the default BIOS settings may well not be good enough and you may need to tweak timings and voltages.

To test your system in general (memory and CPU and chipset) try running Prime95 ( http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ ) overnight or better 24 hours using "Blend" on all cores simultaneously and see if you get errors. After you have installed read "stress.txt" in the program folder for more info. It is not a guarantee, but if your PC holds up to that it is pretty solid! NB: this will not eliminate sound card, GPU or tuner driver problems.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i am having a similar issue with crashing during sleep that is related to video drivers, you can check out a program called Who Crashed.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

it will analyze the crash dumps and present them in terms you can understand.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18155209

Did you look in the system event log and the application event log?

If you have >2GB installed, especially in 4 banks the default BIOS settings may well not be good enough and you may need to tweak timings and voltages.

To test your system in general (memory and CPU and chipset) try running Prime95 ( http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ ) overnight or better 24 hours using "Blend" on all cores simultaneously and see if you get errors. After you have installed read "stress.txt" in the program folder for more info. It is not a guarantee, but if your PC holds up to that it is pretty solid! NB: this will not eliminate sound card, GPU or tuner driver problems.

Yes, I just checked the rest of the logs. I think Win7 sums up all event logs in Event Viewer. I did find the errors listed again in the application event log.

I have 4GB installed in two banks.

Thanks for the suggestions on programs to run (you too mike_311). I'm going to post this in the Silicon Dust forums as well. I'm pretty sure my issue is with the HDHomerun and ehRecvr - I had an issue yesterday and unfortunately had to do a complete reinstall.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18155911

Yes, I just checked the rest of the logs. I think Win7 sums up all event logs in Event Viewer. I did find the errors listed again in the application event log.

Really? No Error around the time of the reboot in the system log. I would definitely expect one or more, especailly a "Bugcheck". Filter the system log on "error" to make it easier.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18156067

Really? No Error around the time of the reboot in the system log. I would definitely expect one or more. Filter the system log on "error" to make it easier.

The system didn't reboot. Media Center just restarted. Not sure if that would trigger a system log error, but it did trigger a media center log error.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Oh, right. I completely misunderstood your first post. Ignore everything Mike and I have written!

I would say this is probably a driver issue with your audio, tuner or video card. The second error your report suggests it may be an audio driver issue, but I'm guessing at this point and do not use Windows Media Center, so others will be able to help better.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/18156173

I did find this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17950874

Wo0zy may be able to help you (say hi from me!).

Thanks for your help jong1!

Sorry I wasn't super clear in the OP that only WMC restarted, not Windows.

Interesting post from Wo0zy... same issue it seems, except I wasn't switching inputs at the time. Actually, I wasn't doing anything at all!

I've got the guys at Silicon Dust monitoring the tuner and I'm ready to give them the exact time if it happens again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figured I should bump this thread rather than starting a new one...

I'm still getting some random Windows Media Center restarts... not Windows... just MC.

I got two restarts this morning. If I check event viewer I get errors on the following:

audiokse.dll 6.1.7600.16385

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18173576

Figured I should bump this thread rather than starting a new one...

I'm still getting some random Windows Media Center restarts... not Windows... just MC.

I got two restarts this morning. If I check event viewer I get errors on the following:

audiokse.dll 6.1.7600.16385

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks rob316. I'll try to reinstall those drivers.

Any advice on how to properly uninstall the chipset drivers? Do I have to click on all four instances in device manager and uninstall? Any chance both errors could be caused by the video drivers? I know it gave the driver for the chipset, but that error seemed audio related and the graphics driver carried both...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, I would start over... reinstall windows. But that is me... or do more research on your system and see if there are issues with the audio or video drivers. Could be an update would solve the issue... or beta drivers....

·
Registered
195 Posts
This happened to me, and I was getting some BSOD's too. Turns out that one stick of RAM was bad. I ran memtest86 and got a bazillion errors on the second stick. Once I took that stick out the errors and crashes stopped (have since RMA'd and gotten a replacement).

So my advice would be to checkout memtest86 and let it run overnight. If theres any errors you probably have your culprit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzyva100 /forum/post/18180127

This happened to me, and I was getting some BSOD's too. Turns out that one stick of RAM was bad. I ran memtest86 and got a bazillion errors on the second stick. Once I took that stick out the errors and crashes stopped (have since RMA'd and gotten a replacement).

So my advice would be to checkout memtest86 and let it run overnight. If theres any errors you probably have your culprit.

WMC was crashing or Windows? It's happened to me 9 times (according to event viewer).

8 times I get this:

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time

stamp: 0x4a5bccdc

Faulting module name: audiokse.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time

stamp: 0x4a5bdac9

Fault offset: 0x00059cfa

1 time I get this:

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time

stamp: 0x4a5bccdc

Faulting module name: igdumd32.dll, version: 8.15.10.2057, time stamp:

0x4b5e4895

Fault offset: 0x000a6d9a

·
Registered
130 Posts
WASAPI is windows way of dealing with exclusive audio. the way i understand it is that when application wants to get exclusive control it uses WASAPI to talk to audio device. so it looks like something craps out there. how many audio devices do you have in your system? are you using H55 and i3 or something else. can you provide your specs?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.