AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a stuttering problem when viewing divx files over a network in windows 7 media center?
I have Vista media center running on the same machine and it plays divxes over the network without a hitch. Is there a fix for this?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknex /forum/post/15531751

Has anyone else experienced a stuttering problem when viewing divx files over a network in windows 7 media center?
I have Vista media center running on the same machine and it plays divxes over the network without a hitch. Is there a fix for this?

I dug this up doing a google search as I am noticing the same thing...for me it is quick little "jerky" movements on my Xbox 360...there is no hiccup in the audio however...I restored my Vista x64 SP2 image and it is smooth as butter...went back to Windows 7 (clean install) and the same files play jerky...it happens when playing the files on the PC as well...

Is this due to the integrated codecs of Windows 7?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/16390607

ARe you using a wired or wireless network?

Wired for me...seems better on the 360 when using WMP12...does Media Center do anything differently (is there a network speed setting, etc)?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've been playing with Windows 7 x64 for a while. I've been seeing stutter with HULU.

However, I also noticed I had stutter on my regular local video files. Turns out running Flash, Silverlight, or Zinc causes this stutter in my system. When I kill those applications, my videos play fine.

I'm not sure what these applicatiosn have in common, but something is causing or triggering the system to stutter.

BTW on Zinc the problem is caused by the Zinc remote app as well as the main Zinc app.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknex /forum/post/15531751

I am also interested in a fix for this problem. I am running Windows 7 RC on an i7 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850, and I see mild video stuttering on Netflix (Silverlight) or YouTube streamed playback on VGA or HDMI, no matter what the resolution. If I boot the system under Vista, the stuttering isn't present. I also see no stuttering on streamed playback on an older, XP Pro laptop using a wireless connection on the same network connection.

·
Registered
228 Posts
has anyone been able to figure out a solution to this? I am also having the stuttering problem with high def files (mkvs). The files play fine in media player classic...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have a slower machine which I stream netflix on and it works without a hitch, on my Windows 7 box which is faster and has plenty of memory the stream stutters. This happens with flash playback as well but I don't notice it on xvid playback..which play with Media Player Classic with K-Lite Codecs installed...both the netflix web interface and the windows media player netflix interface stutter.

I can't find any solutions anywhere!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if it helps, i just downloaded the latest divx player and the mkv play smooth on my 360.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I tried disabling superfetch and that didn't seem to yield any results. Netflix is still stuttering both in IE, Firefox and Windows Media Center Plugin.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm totally aware this is an old post, but it contained some useful information that I think remained unsolved. I'm running a few machines with Windows 7 both 32bit and 64bit and they all stutter when playing netflix or streaming certain flash video. The stutter seems more apparent when using IE8, but also happens in Chrome and Firefox and even WMC. I'm not sure why this is happening as I don't think it's hardware. There are absolutely no video issues when playing video files locally or any other noticeable quirks or "issues" with these machines.

It happens on all 3 machines I've tested it on.

1st box is an intel quad core 2.4gzh, 4gb memory with a Geforce 9600

2nd box is a dual core celeron 2.5ghz, 2gb memory with a geforce 210 running HDMI to a tv.

3rd box is just a bland lenovo thinkcentre, 2.5ghz dual core pentium with 2gb of memory and onboard intel video.

Also, 2 of these machines are at my home on a 10mbit connection and the other one is at my workplace with a 100mbit connection.

All these boxes have issues streaming, but only in Windows 7. I didn't seem to have any issues using Vista or XP before I upgraded to 7. What's the deal? Anyone find a solution? Turning aero on and off only lets me toggle between stuttering and tearing. It almost seems like windows is trying to keep vertical sync and that's causing the stutter? I dunno..but it's driving me nuts. My roku box doesn't seem to be affected by this connected to the same network, router, etc.

Help!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
the only issue i have with stuttering is netflix.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have this problem when Win7's WMC .WTV files are played across the network (wired, gigabit). These files play flawlessly when they are local.

This applies even to SD ATSC files, captured off a terrestrial antenna. The only players I've been able to find that can play .WTV files are M$ own products: WMP & WMC.

The stuttering is a PITA.

All other file types play fine across the network.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I find the problem most apparent in netflix, but it seems to happen with other streaming video.

If someone wants to test this link out for me, it's the iron man 2 HD trailer. Open it with IE8 on Windows 7 and tell me how well it plays...then open it up in a diff. browser..I get weird results like this with pretty much all streaming video, which is just sad.

http://www.fandango.com/hdmovietrail...r2-1434889748/

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the issue also, in Windows 7 WMC, when playing certain MKV files.

I have no issus when using WMP and the same files.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would highly recommend anyone with Nvidia video card to download the latest 257.15 64bit beta drivers from here . These drivers have fixed my divx and mkv stutters every few seconds. All 197 series Nvidia driver will cause stuttering on xvid/divx/mkv files in Win7 Media Center. I would recommend either the 196.21 WHQL or the latest 257.15 beta driver along with the latest Shark007 code pack to resolve your video stuttering issues in media center.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Every since I updated the Silverlight I have had problems with Netflix in 7MC. Stuttering and buffering and crashes. I never had that before Silverlight ver 4. Right now I can't even watch anything in Netflix because I keep getting various errors and 7MC crashes. I came here to see if anyone else was having those problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have similiar problems - the stuttering is about once every 5 minutes or so.. And about once an hour I get a crash and a complaint about my internet connection..

I suspect its a problem with silverlight 4.. Its not the worst but I hope they fix it. Hulu is perfect as is youtube..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts