AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDTV owners may know that while ATI drivers support GPU scaling, NVIDIA has refused to get this working reliably. Prior to 190.x drivers, you could regedit the HDTV's EDID info in to get the flat panel scaling options to appear.

Now, with the rejigged control panel options, NVIDIA has broken it again.

I'm using a Panasonic 32LZ800.

Has anyone gotten it working with the 190.x drivers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, your screen is 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080 native pixels.

You play an old game in non-16:9 (non-widescreen) that plays at 1024x768.

With HDTVs it stretches without any choice. With ATI video cards, it lets you choose to maintain the non-stretch aspect ratio but fill out the picture as much as it can--scaling it. This leaves black on either side but the picture is unstretched and undistorted. It's called GPU scaling since the scaling is done by the graphics-processing-unit on the video card and not left up to the monitor/HDTV. Some high-end monitors have the option, most HDTVs don't seem to.

Modern NVIDIA cards do not support this. They support it for monitors but do not offer the option when people use HDTVs as monitors.

All output to the HDTV is stretched.

It's frustrating.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiichiroh /forum/post/17006768

With HDTVs it stretches without any choice. With ATI video cards, it lets you choose to maintain the non-stretch aspect ratio but fill out the picture as much as it can--scaling it. This leaves black on either side but the picture is unstretched and undistorted. It's called GPU scaling since the scaling is done by the graphics-processing-unit on the video card and not left up to the monitor/HDTV. Some high-end monitors have the option, most HDTVs don't seem to.

Modern NVIDIA cards do not support this. They support it for monitors but do not offer the option when people use HDTVs as monitors.

It's frustrating.

Good to know that. I also own the LZ800 but I have dual 4850 in crossfire. I'm actually waiting for DX11 cards to come out.

Look like I have to stay with ATI...

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiichiroh /forum/post/17006820

Can't find any options to that effect on my TV.

I have a Sharp Aquos gaming LCD in the box waiting to replace my LZ800 though--I wonder if that one has scaling options?

Well we can't help you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiichiroh /forum/post/17006768

It's frustrating.

I'm interested in this as well, I wish I knew how this was done back when it was available.

I don't see why they would have removed it. And, why would they support it for monitors but not for TVs? The TV should just be another display device, using DVI/HDMI or VGA. Is it a question of the TV not providing the gx card with the display characteristics during "handshake" the way a monitor would?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drastic $599 fix but the Aquos gaming HDTV LCD LC-32GP3U LCD's "dot for dot" mode on the remote maintains aspect ratio even with the updated drivers where the Panasonic 32LZ800 would not! Yay.

Also, while colours are richer on the Panasonic Viera, the Sharp handles coloured text on black backgrounds MUCH better without built-in edge enhancement/blurring you can't turn off that is present on the Panny.

Somewhat "fixed."

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a ati cable tv tuner with a 81f and I keep going back to a factory reinstall and I can't updated any drivers because my HTPC overscans.

When it come time to update my nvidia 9500 gs I will go with ati card.

Nvidia get your head out [email protected]#$$%@ where the sun don't shine!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"playing games fine" on it is not the issue.

have you tried playing 4:3 aspect (or any non 16:9) aspect games in lower resolution? such as 1280x1024?

can you confirm this?

THAT is the issue--that the nvidia drivers don't detect the full capabilities of the panasonic hdtv to allow one to choose between gpu scaling or not. no, it just stretches it by default.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a HP Q6600 quad core with a nvidia 9500gs 512 and a ATI tv wonder with cable card.

This HTPC is used with a Samsung 40 in led lcd 81f for watching Hd and recording hd.

nvidia will not let me use the do not scale option under it's drivers and some of the updates for windows vista cause overscaning on my samsung.

I am tired of a complete re-install of the system to get the drivers back to no overscan and because my computer is cable labs certified I lose all my recorded movies.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Whew!
Thankfully my XBR8 doesn't have any of those issues with the PC or any of the HDMI inputs when connecting a computer. Normal mode pixel resizes the signal to its most even mutiple (preserving aspect ratio) for signals that are not 1080p (via HDMI).

I know with Samsung that if you're connecting a computer via HDMI, the FIRST HDMI input must be used.

Are you sure that you are not missing available settings on the LZ800?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I'm sure since if I reghack NVIDIA drivers prior to 190.x I can fool the NVIDIA card into detecting that the scaling job should be offloaded to the video card and not to being stretched all the time.

Especially when the option is available with HDMI and HDMI through a DVI adapter on ATI cards (I go through video cards like crazy, on like my 30th in 5 years) such as the HD4870, HD4670.

Google for it--it's a crazily common problem on other NVIDIA forums and even the official NVIDIA forums.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't know how or why the drivers on my HP 9300t go to no overscaning after I reinstall to the factory visita and no driver updates.

I will update to windows 7 and hope it will take care of the overscan.

I have a usb ATI digital wonder cable card tv tuner which is cable labs certified so I can record protected digital content but every reinstall cancel the copy protection and I can't watch it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.