AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 /forum/post/16955332

Can I just download the ISO via torrent and use my MSDN key? MSDN is crawling at 40KB/sec. LOL

Should be able to. An MS employee posted the MD5 and SHA1 hashes which match some of the copies floating around out there.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karakas /forum/post/16955576

How many licences does one get with a TechNet/MSDN subscription?

Hmm, haven't really tried maxing it out. One key is good for multiple activations. Some products don't even require activation, e.g. Office 2003. For those, I think you only get one key.

So far, Microsoft hasn't complained yet even after I've used the same XP key for more than 20 activations. Of course, that may be because 80% of installs I did were for VirtualPC virtual machines so hardware ID was probably the same...

EDIT:

Found relevant data from Microsoft TechNet Help .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft TechNet /forum/post/0

Activating a Product

When a Microsoft product requires activation (such as Windows Vista), the product keys provided with your subscription allow a limited number of activations. The product keys available through your subscription can have one or more activations per product key. Multiple Activation Keys for older products typically are 10 activation keys. As subscribers often need to install and reinstall software, we are working to increase activations available for keys, or to enable issuance of additional keys.

If you use products that require activation, many allow up to 30 days usage without activating. If you re-image your computers more frequently than every 30 days, you may want to consider NOT activating them if you have that option based on the product you are installing.

If you deplete activations for a key, you may be able to claim additional keys for that product. Each key has its own set of activations.

If you are unable to claim additional keys and you have depleted all activations on ALL keys claimed, you can request additional keys by contacting your local MSDN Customer Service Center. We will validate your request and will submit the request to have additional keys provisioned for you. You can then claim additional keys from Subscriber Downloads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm ok, I did some quick math and it seems that if I MS sticks to their 3-year "lifetime" (read: time between each new OS, not from launch to support-stop) for an OS and I can install it on 5 of my PCs I'll save some money in adition to getting the other benefits. This is with TechNet.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 /forum/post/16955536

I've been seeing anywhere from 40 - 90 KB/s downloading from TechNet trough Firefox. I'm used to seeing > 1MB/s, so this is SLOW. But hey, it's "free". I guess I'll do my installs tomorrow.

Microsoft has added alternate download links for Windows 7. Getting 1MB/s on that. Much nicer, than the 30~80KB/s I was getting using the regular site.

*sigh* I can't believe there was a time I made do with 33.6Kbps dial-up...

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked /forum/post/16955373

Should be able to. An MS employee posted the MD5 and SHA1 hashes which match some of the copies floating around out there.

I can confirm that the SHA1 and CRC hashes are identical. Might be faster to grab your .iso from torrent site and using your Tech net key.

File Name: en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15-65922.iso Date Posted (UTC): 8/6/2009 9:59:54 AM

SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7 ISO/CRC: 1F1257CA

File Name: en_windows_7_ultimate_x86_dvd_x15-65921.iso Date Posted (UTC): 8/6/2009 9:59:54 AM

SHA1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF610 ISO/CRC: C1C20F76

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Caution, dumb questions ahead:

Beta and RC1 are time-limited, i.e. the keys will or have already expired.

a) Is the RTM the 'final' version, i.e. the same as the retail one?

b) Will the RTM key/installation no longer expire?

TIA!

____

Axel

1 - 20 of 56 Posts