AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...plus,8485.html

Windows 7 will have native support for Dolby Digital Plus in the Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions.

Not sure what this means for HD playback, as it still won't natively support Blu-Ray, but perhaps it's a step in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
DD+ is lossy, like DD, as opposed to Dolby TrueHD. S/PDIF does not support DD+ bitsreams (HDMI 1.3 is the only means to do so).

DD+ had been only seen in HD DVD (BD supports it, but there is no BD movie with a DD+ main track) until some European coutries began boardcasting HDTV with DD+ recently. Perhaps that's the reason why Win7 needs to support DD+ (i.e. decode DD+ to multichannel LPCM).

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17030864

DD+ is lossy, like DD, as opposed to Dolby TrueHD. S/PDIF does not support DD+ bitsreams (HDMI 1.3 is the only means to do so).

DD+ had been only seen in HD DVD (BD supports it, but actually there is no BD movies with a DD+ track)

This is not really true. DD+ is one of two allowed formats for secondary audio on BDs with Bonusview features such as PiP (the other format being DTS Express). There are quite a few BDs that use DD+ for the secondary audio. I believe it may also be used for downloaded BD-Live content.
Quote:
until some European coutries began boardcasting HDTV with DD+ recently. Perhaps that's the reason why Win7 needs to support DD+ (i.e. decode DD+ to multichannel LPCM).

Yes. And Dolby is also pushing DD+ as a codec for Internet-delivered media. The codec includes some specific improvements for low-bandwidth distribution channels.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/17031259

DD+ is one of two allowed formats for secondary audio on BDs with Bonusview features such as PiP (the other format being DTS Express). There are quite a few BDs that use DD+ for the secondary audio.

Ah, I see. Anyway the purpose of the support for DD+ in Win7 is apparently not BD.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday /forum/post/17030962

To Natively support... So is it in the RTM that allot of us are running right now or do they mean to natively support once SP1 comes out or maybe a WMC upgrade?

The article didn't make that clear, but my guess is it's going to be some sort of update. It sounds like the agreement was reached pretty recently, so it may not be something that made it into the RTM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Play a dvd with DD in WMP or Media center. If you get DD out to receiver then your drivers support it. Like I said though it only works with the most recent drivers for my system. I tried rolling back drivers last night working on some other issues and it stopped bit-streaming DD until I reinstalled the most recent ones. Appears to depend on driver implementation.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncodriver99 /forum/post/17032902

Should be in the RTM. I have it working on Win7 RC 32 bit. Running Zotac 9300 ITX. Works through HDMI and S/PDIF with most recent drivers.

If you try and pump it through spdif it will be transcoded to just vanilla DD, yes?

tno

·
Registered
46 Posts
That would be cool if it works right.

I got x64 RTM and i'm pretty sure it doesn't work yet. I have a non DDL Realtek card and DD signal is only output if it's in pass through mode (no real time encoding).

In any case, i'm sure it's pretty easy to implement. AC3Filter/etc. does this all already so having the OS does it makes it easier (not to mention will allow you to get DD sound in games w/o buying a DDL-enabled sound card).

I just hope native windows volume control will continue to work on it.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Apparently Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder in RTM does not support DD+ decoding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts